Mark
Committee

Re: BBC sports archive

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:48 am
England's Elusive Moments: The 1966 Saga

http://thefootballattic.blogspot.com/20 ... -1966.html

A comment undrneath says The German version is only actually missing a matter of seconds from the whole game, presumably due to technical issues (rather than the BBC's hatchet job of 1976 in editing down the original footage then wiping it), which must have been for the FESTIVAL 40 repeat.

But elsewhere there are comments about the original tapes still being the BBC Library.

FWIW, my memory says the original BBC vt recording exists, but that there is a damaged section - and although the whole thing exists as a telerecording, this wasn't utilised for the DVD release, (which bears the caveat "Contains the most complete version of the match from the BBC Archive.
Thanks, that's very interesting, don't recall that about Festival 40.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:45 am
Mark wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:58 am

...Would like to know what TV presentation and links survive though.
There are Station IDs and in-vision presenters (inc. 'talking heads') on YouTube, but I haven't managed to find any relating to the Olympics.

Search: 'Fernsehsender Paul Nipkow'.
Ta for that!

gmg
405 lines

Post by gmg »

The BFI states the following on their website:

"Since 1985 we’ve recorded independent terrestrial channels to broadcast standard"

...and goes on to state:

"The BBC has its own preservation archives, but through the BFI researchers, academics and students can view anything from BBC1 and BBC2 since 1990 and everything from BBC3 and BBC4"

A couple of questions. Does this mean they've recorded EVERYTHING broadcast on terrestrial TV since 1985 (i.e. including sport) and if so is it from the beginning of 1985? Second, I wonder why only programmes in their archive from 1990 onwards are viewable (i.e. why does this exclude 1985-89)? One thing I did notice from viewing the BFI archives is that they hold the first ever broadcast episode of Pot Black from 23rd July 1969. I certainly wasn't aware of this until now, I was previously under the impression that the earliest surviving episode was from 1973.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Why not ask the BFI? They are the best people to answer your questions.

From what you quoted, it is quite clear that the 1990 date applied to the BBC material, not to the period that they recorded independent terrestrial channels.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

gmg wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:40 pm
The BFI states the following on their website:

"Since 1985 we’ve recorded independent terrestrial channels to broadcast standard"

...and goes on to state:

"The BBC has its own preservation archives, but through the BFI researchers, academics and students can view anything from BBC1 and BBC2 since 1990 and everything from BBC3 and BBC4"

A couple of questions. Does this mean they've recorded EVERYTHING broadcast on terrestrial TV since 1985 (i.e. including sport) and if so is it from the beginning of 1985? Second, I wonder why only programmes in their archive from 1990 onwards are viewable (i.e. why does this exclude 1985-89)? One thing I did notice from viewing the BFI archives is that they hold the first ever broadcast episode of Pot Black from 23rd July 1969. I certainly wasn't aware of this until now, I was previously under the impression that the earliest surviving episode was from 1973.
They don't have the 69 edition, if you click on the entry, it states, 'No collections held at BFI, for information only'.

gmg
405 lines

Post by gmg »

Mark wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:27 pm

They don't have the 69 edition, if you click on the entry, it states, 'No collections held at BFI, for information only'.
Oops, somehow overlooked that in my excitement. Odd that they list things like this that aren't actually in their archive, I wonder does this suggest that they were once but not anymore. It's not like the programme "information" itself is of much use to anyone. Anyone ever use their research viewing services btw? I might give this a try next time I'm in London if others have had positive experiences.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Ask them - get the information straight from the horse's mouth rather than second hand from someone who may not know the whole picture.

As for the programme 'information' not being of much use - surely that means something like BBC Genome is a complete waste of time as that is only information. It is considerably more information, but isn't complete by any means, so how do you rate it?

What you have to take into account is that the BFI database pre-dates Genome so, at one point, was probably all the information that was readily available, and it may well have been supplied from an incomplete or out of date BBC data source so used in good faith. From the very basic research I have done on you, you say you are an official biographer. As such, I would expect you to appreciate all information, be able to sift through what isn't necessarily relevant to you, and talk to official sources where possible as a matter of course.

gmg
405 lines

Post by gmg »

stearn wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:59 pm

As for the programme 'information' not being of much use - surely that means something like BBC Genome is a complete waste of time as that is only information. It is considerably more information, but isn't complete by any means, so how do you rate it?
The BBC's Genome website is invaluable and I use it regularly, it's just that the BFI's info seems almost redundant now in comparison to that and the likes of Getty's programme info but I take your point about it pre-dating these resources. As I say, my main query relates to the criteria applied by the BFI for creating these info pages given that only certain broadcasts seem to have them. It's something I assumed people here would know about but fair enough if they don't, I'll just ask them directly in that case.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

At least the BFI now lets you know what holdings they have, which wasn't the case when it first went online.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The BFI brought out a book of it's holdings, years ago, up to 1979 I think, still got it.