"ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

What's not currently on the box
AndrewP
625 lines

"ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

Post by AndrewP »

Just wanted to flag up the first edition of this new podcast which focuses on the utterly superb and yet often neglected offering "Gideon's Way". This is certainly one of the very best debut editions of a podcast that I've come across; the hosts communicate their subject brilliantly and have really prepped so that they can demonstrate their understanding of the series and why the show was so effective at their very best.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/

Very much enjoyed this first one and look forward to more. Hope others find it as enjoyable as I have.

All the best

Andrew

Tim D
405 lines

Re: "ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

Post by Tim D »

This sounds great. Thanks Andrew.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks also, for this.

Jaz Wiseman on ITC...unmissable!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Now had the pleasure of hearing the "Danger Man" edition... and this builds upon the first very well indeed. Rodney and Jaz already offer a very nice contrasting set of expertise, and added to the mix this time is Rick - and you couldn't ask for a better understanding of Patrick McGoohan's career. It really is all very solid stuff - well researched, well presented. Definitely one of my very favourite podcasts.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/i ... mpt=uo%3D2

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The first one was great, so will most certainly listen to the "Danger Man" one.

Anything on ITC shows is always welcome.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Episode 3 - Man In A Suitcase is available now

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... -suitcase/

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Marvellously entertaining edition. Again, it's just so good to hear a podcast that's full of solid content and discussion. It's driven by knowledge, understanding and passion - the hosts keep the subject firmly centre-stage and they really have an engagement with the series under discussion. They pick up on stuff like the rather out-spoken interview that Richard Bradford did with "Variety" just as "Man in a Suitcase" was about to debut on ABC in the USA - there's such a terrific understanding of how the actor's approach and drive was instrumental in both its considerable effectiveness on-screen and its swift termination off-screen.

Very definitely one of my favourite podcasts of late. Well worth a listen! :)

All the best

Andrew

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

AndrewP wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 pm
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Marvellously entertaining edition. Again, it's just so good to hear a podcast that's full of solid content and discussion. It's driven by knowledge, understanding and passion - the hosts keep the subject firmly centre-stage and they really have an engagement with the series under discussion. They pick up on stuff like the rather out-spoken interview that Richard Bradford did with "Variety" just as "Man in a Suitcase" was about to debut on ABC in the USA - there's such a terrific understanding of how the actor's approach and drive was instrumental in both its considerable effectiveness on-screen and its swift termination off-screen.

Very definitely one of my favourite podcasts of late. Well worth a listen! :)

All the best

Andrew
And the hour and thirteen minutes passed in a flash, leaving me wanting more from the excellent guests who both enlightened and entertained.

Definitely recommended.

Ros :-)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Looking forward to this one as well, whenever I think of "Man In A Suitcase", the theme automatically plays in my head!

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Episode 4 - The Persuaders! - available now

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... ersuaders/

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Just enjoyed the edition about "The Persuaders!" which confirms this as one of the very best podcasts that I've heard. I now feel that I can trust the judgment and opinions of those involved on the subject matter... which is very important as the subject matters progress into areas that I'm less familiar with. And the discussion is just so good - there's such an understanding from the hosts about the series, its production and the wider cultural context.

I think where this is succeeding - for me - is that these podcasts don't seem forced or rushed to meet a schedule; thought clearly goes into the topics for discussion (because there's so many good examples given to back up the points that are being made) and the editing is very effective to remove any potential slack. In comparison to other podcasts I hear, the personality of the contributors doesn't dominate and smother the subject under discussion - yet it is present, emerging through the comments and thoughts presented during the conversation. And this is the best balance I could personally wish for - entertaining, informed people with a talent to select and communicate the important aspects of the show under discussion.

They're a terrific listen. Certainly I'm looking forward to series that I'm less well-acquainted with - such as "The Zoo Gang" - being debated and discussed with such understanding and empathy.

Marvellous stuff.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Listened to the first three, look forward to "The Persuaders" one.

They are excellent, some points are down to personal taste of course, for instance, I much prefer the hour episodes of "Danger Man" to the 30 min ones, Rodney Marshall makes a good point about the dialogue having to be tighter for them, but the storylines are much more straightforward compared to the hour ones.

The hour episodes are more quirky with some of the weird ones being amongst my favourites, "The Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove", "The Man With The Foot", my favourite of all is "Not So Jolly Rodger", "Colony Three" is another excellent one ( an interesting idea explored again a few years later!).

I do like the half hour ones, they are probably the best in that format, whereas later series like "The Adventurer" struggle somewhat, "The Protectors" manages reasonably well, but the storylines are so slight, and it's all over in a flash.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained the World - episode 5 - The Zoo Gang. Available now

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... -zoo-gang/

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Another very entertaining listen. Recommended.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Look forward to that one, another very good series.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World podcast - episode 6 - The Saint (b/w).

Available now!

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... the-saint/

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

I'm not much of an ITC fan but this is an excellent podcast which I've very much enjoyed listening to. The participants have expertise but still discuss things in an accessible and engaging way, bouncing off each other very well. I would also say it's refreshing to have a podcast that isn't bedevilled by "banter" or anyone trying to be a "character" - it's focused on the shows which is what really matters. I'm certainly looking forward to future episodes!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I agree with you there, it does work very well, and gets you reaching for the DVD's.

Looking forward to the B/W "Saint", sadly overlooked now, with only the Colour ones still being shown.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Thanks Mark and Left Field.

ITC Entertained The World podcast - Episode 6b - The Saint - Four classic episodes

Bonus episode on the b/w episodes of The Saint.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... -episodes/

And despite Podbean bombarding me with ways to 'monetise' my podcast, it is still free and will continue to be free.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Haven't listened to Podcasts for a few years as the ones I listened to in the past I have found many of them to be rambling and uneven in both sound quality and subject.

But Mr Jaz, just broke the 'ITC entertained' ice with your B/W Saint subject and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You and your posse have confirmed (haven't seen them for a long time) what I suspected that the B/Ws had far superior production values and deserve to be seen, although perhaps because of this may be too expensive for TPTV etc ?

Although there were many (especially those directed by Rog) good episodes in the colour series the Angel's Eye represented for me how tatty and shortchanged the show had become..I would have thought in the 21st Century's re-issues they could have least ensured the car was the same colour between the studio and location shots LOL.

May I suggest for future pods that you discuss the ones that didn't make it Man of the World etc and it would be so interesting all your opinions on what was wrong with them.

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest impression and what has always appealed to me most about "The Saint" are the teaser sequences with Roger Moore talking to camera, the halo appearing over his head (probably my favourite bit!) and then the excellent opening titles with the stick-man motif and splendid music.

I think the podcast suggested that "The Saint" was the quintessential ITC series and I would agree with this - whether it's the best is another matter but in many ways it and Roger Moore as Simon Templar created the mould for later ITC series and heroes. Its longevity certainly made a huge impression on public consciousness and also marked it out from the many other ITC series that (deservedly or not) only lasted a single series.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:12 am
Haven't listened to Podcasts for a few years as the ones I listened to in the past I have found many of them to be rambling and uneven in both sound quality and subject.

But Mr Jaz, just broke the 'ITC entertained' ice with your B/W Saint subject and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You and your posse have confirmed (haven't seen them for a long time) what I suspected that the B/Ws had far superior production values and deserve to be seen, although perhaps because of this may be too expensive for TPTV etc ?

Although there were many (especially those directed by Rog) good episodes in the colour series the Angel's Eye represented for me how tatty and shortchanged the show had become..I would have thought in the 21st Century's re-issues they could have least ensured the car was the same colour between the studio and location shots LOL.

May I suggest for future pods that you discuss the ones that didn't make it Man of the World etc and it would be so interesting all your opinions on what was wrong with them.

Thanks Fatcat - in terms of series that didn't make it, we did a bit of a post-mortem on The Zoo Gang. The listening figures for that podcast are about half compared to the rest of the episodes so I'm not sure if it's because it's a lesser known series or if we were maybe a bit too honest in our thoughts.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 pm
we did a bit of a post-mortem on The Zoo Gang. The listening figures for that podcast are about half compared to the rest of the episodes so I'm not sure if it's because it's a lesser known series or if we were maybe a bit too honest in our thoughts.
Because of it's relative obscurity, surely? Your discussion comes over as a broadly positive and sympathetic reading of the series. I'm sure that any avid fan of The Zoo Gang (if there are any) would be pleased to discover that people were discussing one of their favourite series knowledgeably and thoughtfully, rather than be outraged that you'd got it wrong.

The Zoo Gang and Gideon are the two ones that I've heard so far, because they've been the two series that I've seen all of. When I watch the other ones someday, it will be good to know that these podcasts will be there where I can compare my thoughts with your findings.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

I've recently bought, and am enjoying watching, the Bluray release of The Zoo Gang.

And this is all thanks to the podcast.

Jaz's fun approach, his frank and honest discussion with his guests, certainly give me the inspiration I need to go and watch the shows again.

:-)

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Billy Smart wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:01 pm
... I'm sure that any avid fan of The Zoo Gang (if there are any) would be pleased to discover that people were discussing one of their favourite series knowledgeably and thoughtfully, rather than be outraged that you'd got it wrong.
Absolutely. I'm always interested to hear other people's informed opinions.

Zoo Gang is a bit of a curiosity for me. I was a huge fan of all things ITC but I remember being quite disappointed by this when it was first shown. I suppose it just didn't live up to my expectations at the time, it's only since the DVD release that I've learned to appreciate the series.

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Thanks Fatcat - in terms of series that didn't make it, we did a bit of a post-mortem on The Zoo Gang. The listening figures for that podcast are about half compared to the rest of the episodes so I'm not sure if it's because it's a lesser known series or if we were maybe a bit too honest in our thoughts.
I think reduced listening figures for Zoo Gang just reflect the fact it isn't so well-known. Although I hardly know anything about it I decided to give your podcast on it a listen and once again found it supremely enlightening and engaging. If a podcast is well-done it doesn't really matter whether one knows the show. There was some criticism of elements of the production but it was very measured and perceptive, as were the points of praise. I think it's really important that any analysis of a show is prepared to explore its limitations as long as it's done in a constructive way. Even the very best shows will have some things that could have been done better. I have come across some podcasts, articles or books which are frustrating and not very informative because they seem determined to have a wholly celebratory, uncritical tone and I feel this podcast strikes exactly the right tone. Some of the ITC series that haven't yet been covered had their flaws - in some cases plenty of them - alongside their virtues and it's important to embrace all these things. And as has been mentioned upthread one of the hallmarks of a really good podcast is it makes the listener want to watch the programmes again or even for the first time and this certainly does that.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Left Field wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:27 pm
I think reduced listening figures for Zoo Gang just reflect the fact it isn't so well-known. Although I hardly know anything about it I decided to give your podcast on it a listen and once again found it supremely enlightening and engaging. If a podcast is well-done it doesn't really matter whether one knows the show. There was some criticism of elements of the production but it was very measured and perceptive, as were the points of praise. I think it's really important that any analysis of a show is prepared to explore its limitations as long as it's done in a constructive way. Even the very best shows will have some things that could have been done better. I have come across some podcasts, articles or books which are frustrating and not very informative because they seem determined to have a wholly celebratory, uncritical tone and I feel this podcast strikes exactly the right tone. Some of the ITC series that haven't yet been covered had their flaws - in some cases plenty of them - alongside their virtues and it's important to embrace all these things. And as has been mentioned upthread one of the hallmarks of a really good podcast is it makes the listener want to watch the programmes again or even for the first time and this certainly does that.
Thanks Left Field, I always think it's best to be honest about a series flaws as well as its merits. It's great for us a team to hear that the podcasts are making people want to reach for a DVD or blu-ray and have another watch of an episode or two. I started the podcasts as something for people to have to listen to that's new during lockdown - we all enjoyed doing it so guess it will continue while it stays fun. I'm blessed to have a good team of contributors who enjoy chatting about these series as much as I do. Stay safe.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I also enjoyed "The Zoo Gang" from it's first showing, thought it was a great series, and thought the podcast was very fair, a constructive critique ( as others have said) couldn't argue with it really.

An odd set of episodes that didn't quite gell, but I also thought it would have settled down and improved if there had been more episodes, and I wish there had been.

I would like to know more about it's obviously troubled production, didn't get off to a good start did it!, and I wonder if it was meant to have an Autumn 73 launch?

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Next episode - The Baron, being recorded tomorrow