"ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

What's not currently on the box
Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Re: "ITC Entertained the World" - podcast

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

ITC Entertained The World - episode 7 - The Baron

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss The Baron - the first ITC action/adventure series to be made in colour starring Steve Forrest as John Mannering aka The Baron, with Sue Lloyd as Cordelia.
With archive interview clips from Steve Forrest, Sue Lloyd, production supervisor Johnny Goodman and directors Cyril Frankel and Roy Ward Baker. Dig out an old antique that you think you can sell, get in the Jensen, watch out for dodgy road diversions and just hope you're not asked to replace David Marlowe in another action packed adventure around the Elstree backlot.

With thanks to Kaleidoscope.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... the-baron/

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Excellent, can't wait...I hope my Favourite episode, "The Maze", gets a good valuation.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:31 pm
Next episode - The Baron, being recorded tomorrow

It's great! very involving especially if The Baron has been a long part of your life's wallpaper ..so to speak.
Perhaps a little harsh on David Marlowe, as if the Baron was visiting his shop in London he had to have someone
one running it of 'retail' nature who was not expecting all the mayhem and excitement to come LOL.

An excellent examination of 'Elstree Studios' and what some have said on this forum that it was er .. all a bit tatty there,
but rather prim and respectable in B/W but in colour you can it's not wearing any knickers..
In comparison to the glorious MGM sets on The Prisoner and Strange Report at Pinewood.

.and at last praise for Steve Forest (who I thought was great) and recognition for the leading ladies who proved they were more than a match for the men if they got a meaty role as Annette Andre proved. One of favourites was Kay Walsh as a mad scientist IIRC.

There was talk of a BR release and if it happens, IMHO they should do it properly (like Star Trek) correct all the blue fuzz overlay faults,blur the dodgy backgrounds etc... and make it shine.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mmmm...only if it was optional ( and I doubt it would be, or cost-effective), for me, Archive programmes are time-locked, it was made in 1965 and should look that way.

Anyway, back-projection is alright...it has a charm to it!

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Another excellent podcast. "The Baron" is not great as a show but it stands up pretty well within the ITC canon. I would echo the points that Steve Forrest's performances have been unfairly maligned by too many "critics" and wonder if their minds were made up before watching the show. I think many of them still regard "The Baron" as a poor relation of "The Saint" and there is also maybe the snobbery towards "American influence" and an American actor who they regard as shoe-horned into the show. Unless that actor had been very different in his interpretation (rather like Richard Bradford) he was going to have a hard time. Perhaps things might have been different if the character and actor had been English but that would have then amplified the suggestions that the programme was just a rehash of "The Saint". Maybe it was a no-win scenario for those involved as long as it was based around a single "hero" character operating in a world of wealth and it needed a very different approach as occurred with "Man in a Suitcase" to be better received.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next podcast and hope that in time all the well-known ITC adventure series will be covered and maybe some of the lesser-known ones as well.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Hi Left Field, thanks for the positive feedback about the podcasts - the next one is on Strange Report. We do hope to cover all of the ITC series, those both well-known and those that are lesser known, we are also planning to cover some of the ITC films and do some 'specials' but I'm keeping the details of those under my hat at the moment. There's also something coming in print relating to ITC very soon so watch this space.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Excellent news about "Strange Report", and the mystery print item, cant' wait.

I was hoping something could be done with those unused "Persuaders" storylines mentioned in that series podcast.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:53 pm
ITC Entertained The World - episode 7 - The Baron

Hosted by Jaz Wiseman, Rodney Marshall and Al Samujh. Jaz, Rodney and Al discuss The Baron - the first ITC action/adventure series to be made in colour starring Steve Forrest as John Mannering aka The Baron, with Sue Lloyd as Cordelia.
With archive interview clips from Steve Forrest, Sue Lloyd, production supervisor Johnny Goodman and directors Cyril Frankel and Roy Ward Baker. Dig out an old antique that you think you can sell, get in the Jensen, watch out for dodgy road diversions and just hope you're not asked to replace David Marlowe in another action packed adventure around the Elstree backlot.

With thanks to Kaleidoscope.

https://jazwiseman.podbean.com/e/itc-en ... the-baron/
This is a podcast that just gets better and better. The discussion, the analysis, the examples... all outstandingly good. For me, "The Baron" has always been a distinctly 'average' series - mainly because of the other things I was watching when I first saw it in 1985. I've kind of always wanted to return to the show and reassess it to see if I still feel the same way about it all this time later, and - as such - what this conversation offered was perfect; those involved start very much from the point of finding elements of the series rather underwelming, but the ensuing discussion very precisely identifies the areas of weakness, and then displays how despite this there is - nevertheless - a lot to admire and enjoy about John Mannering's adventures. It makes me keen to find the time to revisit the show myself.

This is a podcast that is very much to my tastes; well prepared, well edited and driven by content.

All the best

Andrew

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Thanks Andrew - the three of appreciation the feedback and the detailed reply you sent us privately. Glad that people are still enjoying them.