Out of the unknown--The Uninvited

What's not currently on the box
ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Out of the unknown--The Uninvited

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

This episode as most will know us sadly wiped and lost. I was watching the off air audio reconstruction and it sounds like a very creepy episode. I like how events of the past are playing out in front of the couples eyes. It nails that creepy feeling of being in bed in the dark and being awoken to strange things going on. Ok the fourth season is more horror/drama orientated but the stories are still brilliant and creepy. I love the one with Anthony ainley "Welcome home" who thinks his wife has been stolen by a man by the same name of him. Then the bit where he finds out he's another man and a criminal who has been drugged as an experiment and commits suicide by a shotgun. Brilliant stuff

Juswuh
D-MAC

Re: Out of the unknown--The Uninvited

Post by Juswuh »

"The Uninvited" was remade in the 80s, as an episode of Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I will check it out

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I think the Hammer version is excellent, one of the best of that series.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Out of unknown still stands out well as still being very disturbing. Especially some of the series 4 episodes which are extremely unsettling.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:05 am
Out of unknown still stands out well as still being very disturbing. Especially some of the series 4 episodes which are extremely unsettling.
The suggestion that women can enjoy rape is certainly unsettling. :(
This is nøt å signåture.™

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm
ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
It's a taboo subject, even today.
Not many authors would dare to broach it.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:20 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm
ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
It's a taboo subject, even today.
Not many authors would dare to broach it.
Well, with good reason, right? From what I understand, it's the same as saying some black people enjoyed slavery because they hated making their own decision and were bad at it.
So definitely, but unintentionally, the most unsettling.

I myself liked 1-3 best anyway; this is one of the series where I really am so very sorry that so many are missing. Matter of taste I suppose if one prefers SF or the supernatural.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The best writing, in any medium, often comes with the broaching of 'difficult' issues.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:23 am
The best writing, in any medium, often comes with the broaching of 'difficult' issues.
Depends on the meaning of "best". Well-made ""difficult"" issues could also be said to include stuff like Birth of a Nation. I see no evidence to link it to moral superiority.

I didn't think it was a good episode or even a good season, but that's a matter of opinion.

However, the idea that rape can be enjoyed is simply offensive. (You don't have to be a woman and/or a victim to understand that. Five to ten minutes of reading first hand information will do.)
There is no merit in depicting it, and frankly I don't see any room for discussion.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Yes, it's definitely inferior to the previous seasons.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm
brigham wrote:
Depends on the meaning of "best". Well-made ""difficult"" issues could also be said to include stuff like Birth of a Nation. I see no evidence to link it to moral superiority.

I didn't think it was a good episode or even a good season, but that's a matter of opinion.

However, the idea that rape can be enjoyed is simply offensive. (You don't have to be a woman and/or a victim to understand that. Five to ten minutes of reading first hand information will do.)
There is no merit in depicting it, and frankly I don't see any room for discussion.
" ...and frankly I don't see any room for discussion..."

In which case I recommend that you avoid discussing it.

After all, if you keep quiet, it might go away!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:22 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm
brigham wrote:

" ...and frankly I don't see any room for discussion..."

In which case I recommend that you avoid discussing it.

After all, if you keep quiet, it might go away!
The only thing I am discussing, is how completely baffled I was that the episode exists at all.

Let's be clear, you are the one who seems to be condoning the idea (without openly admitting so). I don't really understand what could possess a so far well-thinking member of this board to hint that it's a positive thing. What's next? "Some wives just need a good beating every now and then (it helps them function and keeps the morale up)?"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Wife-beating.
Another taboo subject for many years.
Thankfully, there were people bold enough to address it.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:23 pm
Wife-beating.
Another taboo subject for many years.
Thankfully, there were people bold enough to address it.
Are you deliberately trolling here, or am I really not getting the message through that abuse should not be glorified? Which it IS, if a program depicts rape as a positive experience?
Maybe you'd like see paedophilia brought to the table too?

I'm done here, but I find your attitude incomprehensible.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Not glorified.
Addressed.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

To be clear, I did not start the discussion about the wife beating and rape topic, I was just saying I find some of the supernatural elements of the fourth series quite creepy. And I think they included a lot of the rape stuff etc for the shock factor so after you'd viewed it you'd be disturbed as it was more horror orientated. Not saying it's right to include that kind of content.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Also there are other horror programmes and movies that are much worse and messed up things than
what is seen in out of the unknown series 4.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:23 am
Not glorified.
Addressed.
Right, "addressed" with the message that some women may enjoy rape. Face it, it's just sick.

If you're so keen on dealing with social issues, then do five minutes of reading up on the subject.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

I think series 4 did address something rather well,
it addressed the fact that the human mind is a deep and complicated structure and individuals with blue fingers (as a nonoffensive example) don't always behave like other people with blue fingers, they may have traits of people with green fingers.

ie. We always assume it was 'Jack' the Ripper in the 1880s, but no evidence biological or otherwise was found that an adult male had been near the victims.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:49 am
brigham wrote:
Not glorified.
Addressed.
Right, "addressed" with the message that some women may enjoy rape. Face it, it's just sick.

If you're so keen on dealing with social issues, then do five minutes of reading up on the subject.
In a lifetime of personal experience, one hears, often first-hand, the most extraordinary things; things not to be found in books.
The reference to a woman 'enjoying rape' brought back to mind one such strange tale, an account from long ago and half forgotten.
Sad that some of us, in our 'enlightened age', still want to suppress discussion of such 'unpleasantness'.
We think we have learned much since Wilde, but the old hatred and fear still lurk just beneath the surface.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
brigham wrote:
Not glorified.
Addressed.

In a lifetime of personal experience, one hears, often first-hand, the most extraordinary things; things not to be found in books.
The reference to a woman 'enjoying rape' brought back to mind one such strange tale, an account from long ago and half forgotten.
Sad that some of us, in our 'enlightened age', still want to suppress discussion of such 'unpleasantness'.
We think we have learned much since Wilde, but the old hatred and fear still lurk just beneath the surface.
Oh, it is discussion now, is it? What a load of arse. Don't pretend that this is a thoughtful exploration that gives a voice to a sensitive social issue, that needed to be addressed. That's rubbish. Have you actually seen the episode? For one, it is not a realistic portrayal. Well, it doesn't have to be. But it cannot possibly pass for a serious treatment of abuse.

It's one thing to make a story involving rape - which, in any case, has been done many times, Shakespeare included. It's quite another thing if the twist at the end is, "but it's OK because she enjoyed it".

So sorry if that means that I am trying to suppress a completely tone deaf idea.
But I put it to you that a "strange tale, an account from long ago and half forgotten" is absolutely worthless. It reeks of a desperately exculpatory interpretation. It's not the kind of story that lends itself to objective telling, is it?

Even though you've done nothing but post short, skirting comments, I'll waste an elaborate reply here. It's like this: Rape victims may experience a physical response against their will. The same thing could theoretically happen to you or me, by the way. Only, this causes mental confusion and makes it more traumatic for the victim. They end up miswired.
I've myself met, I think, three girls (not at the same time; in the course of my life) who were suffering from long term effects and who weren't able to form normal relationships - two were probably going to be OK but the third seemed broken beyond repair (weirdly, she was absurdly focussed on pleasing men in conversation, so much that it felt like a trap). I shudder to think what had happened there.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I'm not getting involved in this argument but all I did was create a thread talking about how I like some of the horror elements of series 4 and now this is happening. Please everyone calm down

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:56 am
brigham wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 am
Spiny Norman wrote:

Oh, it is discussion now, is it? What a load of arse. Don't pretend that this is a thoughtful exploration that gives a voice to a sensitive social issue, that needed to be addressed. That's rubbish. Have you actually seen the episode? For one, it is not a realistic portrayal. Well, it doesn't have to be. But it cannot possibly pass for a serious treatment of abuse.

It's one thing to make a story involving rape - which, in any case, has been done many times, Shakespeare included. It's quite another thing if the twist at the end is, "but it's OK because she enjoyed it".

So sorry if that means that I am trying to suppress a completely tone deaf idea.
But I put it to you that a "strange tale, an account from long ago and half forgotten" is absolutely worthless. It reeks of a desperately exculpatory interpretation. It's not the kind of story that lends itself to objective telling, is it?

Even though you've done nothing but post short, skirting comments, I'll waste an elaborate reply here. It's like this: Rape victims may experience a physical response against their will. The same thing could theoretically happen to you or me, by the way. Only, this causes mental confusion and makes it more traumatic for the victim. They end up miswired.
I've myself met, I think, three girls (not at the same time; in the course of my life) who were suffering from long term effects and who weren't able to form normal relationships - two were probably going to be OK but the third seemed broken beyond repair (weirdly, she was absurdly focussed on pleasing men in conversation, so much that it felt like a trap). I shudder to think what had happened there.
For someone who is 'done here', you have a lot to say for yourself.
I'm certainly not going to divulge 'pillow talk' for your vicarious imagination. Just accept that there are more things in life than any one individual can comprehend, and be grateful that we live in an age where we are STARTING to talk openly.
STARTING. We're nowhere near there yet.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:09 pm
For someone who is 'done here', you have a lot to say for yourself.
I'm certainly not going to divulge 'pillow talk' for your vicarious imagination. Just accept that there are more things in life than any one individual can comprehend, and be grateful that we live in an age where we are STARTING to talk openly.
STARTING. We're nowhere near there yet.
Oh, you're right: it's definitely more than I can comprehend why someone would even refuse to acknowledge that it's a problematic element.

Talking openly? Is that what you want? Then why don't you?
Because I hear a lot of general "who knows" remarks about "breaking the silence", but I notice you avoid saying anything definite. I'm getting a strong subtext here that it's not just tone deafness, but that you don't think that rape is that big of a deal, or at least not as bad as all that; and that THAT is the taboo you mean, not a silence on abuse itself. Which would be a very weird thing.

Or if that is not what you mean, then you should stop creating that impression.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm
I'm not getting involved in this argument but all I did was create a thread talking about how I like some of the horror elements of series 4 and now this is happening. Please everyone calm down
I preferred the time when there was a moonlanding denial discussion. At least that was perfectly harmless.

But if I see something that I really find unsavoury, well, in some cases I feel it should be pointed out. It rather took me by surprise, because I simply did not expect complete denial that it was an issue at all.

If it upsets you, I will try to leave it alone; at any rate I have said all I could think of and I can't help a proverbial deaf adder any further.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I think we should stop adding to this thread. The argument has got too heated and out of control. (not saying it's a bad argument) it just gets a bit crazy when people with differing opinions on a certain subject start arguing and I like people to try and get along with each other. Anyway I kind of regret creating this thread but whatever your opinion is, and) I'm not giving my own because I'm not really sure myself) and I respect it.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

If there is a way to delete it do you think I should? Or does anyone want to continue discussing?

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 pm
If there is a way to delete it do you think I should? Or does anyone want to continue discussing?
You could use the report button if it really bothers you. Although you are hardly responsible for what others write even if you started a thread.

As a comment on the thread, I've seen worse. Although it's hardly a discussion (for lack of actual counter-arguments), it's comparatively tame by internet standards. There hasn't even been a "godwin" yet!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 pm
I shouldn't worry about it, think of all the threads that have just withered and died and you have created one that has stirred up a bit of passion and the catalyst was a 50-year-old programme that may or may not exist now but is still making us think.
surely that is worth keeping?