Recycled titles

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Recycled titles

Post by Brock »

I saw a reference to In For a Penny today and thought they were talking about the 1972 Bob Todd sitcom set in a public convenience. It's actually a current show where Stephen Mulhern invites members of the public to take part in silly games.

Any similar examples?

doubleM
625 lines

Re: Recycled titles

Post by doubleM »

There are lots ... but then you can't copyright a 'title', anybody wanting to turn out their next masterpiece called 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' or 'Great Expectations' is entitled to try ... I think there are no fewer than three different pop songs called 'The Power of Love'.

Of the top of my head as regards television ... there were two British 'Happy Ever After' and three 'Thriller' (US and UK) over consecutive decades .. but this merely scratches the surface, particularly when you cross genres (e.g. a documentary strand and a drama) or take into account 'local programming' ...
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

doubleM wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:52 pm
particularly when you cross genres (e.g. a documentary strand and a drama)
That reminds me of when I first joined this forum and wondered why so many people were talking about Public Eye, the BBC2 investigative series from the 90s. At the time I had no idea of the earlier ITV drama of the same name.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Just remembered there were two 'People Like Us' series, the LWT period drama of 1978 and the late 90s 'mockumentary' on the BBC.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Three comedy shows for "Room At The Bottom" , the early 60's and 1980's versions are related, but there was also a BBC comedy series with the title from Esmonde and Larbey in the mid-sixties.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Usually there's substantial gap when a title is re-used, but The New Statesman, a 1985 BBC2 sitcom starring Windsor Davies as a man who unexpectedly inherits an aristocratic title, was followed only a couple of years later by the much better-known YTV sitcom starring Rik Mayall as a ruthless Tory MP. I suppose the BBC could hardly object since they'd stolen their title from the magazine! (In fact I'm surprised the magazine owners didn't object to either of them.)

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Not quite the same, but there was an episode of Citizen Smith entitled Only Fools and Horses.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

SgtPepper wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:54 am
Not quite the same, but there was an episode of Citizen Smith entitled Only Fools and Horses.
They were both written by John Sullivan, though - you can hardly blame him for re-using his own title!

If we're going down that road, every single episode of Birds of a Feather series 7 was named after a sitcom.

Rory Clark
405 lines

Post by Rory Clark »

SgtPepper wrote:
Similarly there was an episode of Till Death Us Do Part titled In Sickness and in Health ...
... and a right looking ponce no one's ever heard of.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Brock wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:02 am
SgtPepper wrote:
They were both written by John Sullivan, though - you can hardly blame him for re-using his own title!

If we're going down that road, every single episode of Birds of a Feather series 7 was named after a sitcom.
It was a title that was re-used. I wasn’t aware that there had to be blame attached. I pointed out that it didn’t exactly fit the original criteria with my use of the words “not quite the same”.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Fair enough then!

One of the more confusing examples comes from Radio 4. In 1988 Stephen Fry starred in a brilliantly funny sketch show called Saturday Night Fry, which sadly only ran for one series. Ten years later he popped up again hosting a chat show called Saturday Night Fry, which also only ran for one series and wasn't anything like as entertaining as its namesake in my opinion. I suppose the pun was too good to resist a second time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Big Brother", a reality show from Channel 4, or a series of plays from LWT in 1970 with a great guest cast, and they still exist!...perfect for DVD.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Of course both UFO and Dr Who had stories caller "Timelash".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"The Protectors", a 1964 ABC series, and the 1972 ITC series (Both on DVD).

One interesting curio, "You're Only Young Twice", a 1971 ATV Sit-Com set in Twilight lodge and the 1977 Yorkshire Sit-Com set in Paradise Lodge.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Hunter, a 60s Australian spy drama, and Hunter, an American cop show (?) in the 80s starring Fred Dryer. I think that was his name.

Matlock Police, a 70s Australian cop drama (1971-75) and Matlock, the 80s American lawyer/courtroom show starring Andy Griffith. Confusing because most people dropped the word ‘police’ from the first one. Several years ago I was excited when I read that Matlock was coming back to TV on some channel and I thought it was the old Australian one, but I should have known better, it wasn't.

I think there were about three versions of The Doris Day Show, all starring the lady herself of course, but three different formats, and different groups of co-stars.

Even The Lucy Show (1962-1968) had two different formats. At least I think you can call them different formats, different supporting casts anyway.

In the late-70s/early-80s there was a very short lived late night variety show in Australia called Saturday Night Live, which bore no resemblance to the famous American one, which strangely (to my knowledge) was never screened in Australia, regardless of the fact it's some kind of American institution that people foam-at-the-mouth and/or go weak-at-the-knees over.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Two 'Tales of the Unexpected', both coming to life in the late 1970s, courtesy of Roald Dahl and Quinn Martin.

From the early days of TV, two 'Space Patrol' series.

I'm sure 'Survivors' must have been used more than once.

Maljazz
Baird 30-line Televisor

Post by Maljazz »

How about this for the longest song title ever duplicated: "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" - we easily remember the Gerry & The Pacemakers hit, but there is another, written by Joe Greene in 1966, and featured by inter alia Ray Charles.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

An American sitcom that ran for much of the 90's was called Wings, which did cause a bit of misunderstanding for me.
Great News Inside, Chums!

tommo
405 lines

Post by tommo »

One that springs to mind was the 80's sketch show Three of a Kind with Tracey Ullman, Lenny Henry and David Copperfield . This title was origonally used in the 60's for a show starring Mike Yarwood, Ray Fell and Lulu. Both BBC2?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

tommo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:59 pm
One that springs to mind was the 80's sketch show Three of a Kind with Tracey Ullman, Lenny Henry and David Copperfield . This title was origonally used in the 60's for a show starring Mike Yarwood, Ray Fell and Lulu. Both BBC2?
Some more good ones there ( including this one) the Ullman series was BBC1.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Timeslip the ATV series and also a 1955 film shown on TPTV last night. Pity they aren't showing the series.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Brian F wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 am
Timeslip the ATV series and also a 1955 film shown on TPTV last night. Pity they aren't showing the series.
Sticking to television only, rather than cross-media - which admittedly would increase the number of examples of same title reuse by a considerable margin - there were two other TV ''Timeslip's apart from the ATV series ... a 1953 live (and never recorded) BBC-TV one-off (actually 'Time Slip' I believe), and a Yorkshire TV single 30 minute play for Christmas 1985, (from a story by Robert Holmes).

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

From a Birds Eye View....A BBC travelog around the country in a helicopter ..or a 'mid Atlantic' ITC sitcom

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Knowing that Talking Pictures TV is repeating the old Southern programme Together I used the TiVo EPG to set up a series link, and it found three upcoming programmes with that title all showing somewhere on Virgin Media. The others were a BBC3 sitcom from 2015 and an interesting looking play from 2018 starring Sylvia Syms and Peter Bowles.

A search of IMDB brought up 113 productions with the title "Together".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Perhaps "Together" holds the record then?

Some more good examples there, "Timeslip" for instance, I always enjoyed the 1985 pilot episode, shame that didn't go any further.