"The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy": 7 June 1980

What's not currently on the box
AndrewP
625 lines

"The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy": 7 June 1980

Post by AndrewP »

Quite wonderful piece about the making of the pilot episode for the BBC2 series... i.e. what was happening at BBC TV Centre forty years ago today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU54oxy ... e=youtu.be

Utterly brilliant for so many reasons. First of all, it's looking back 40 years ... and I'm suddenly thinking how long that actually is. Seeing Television Centre again in that state of being a fully working BBC studio alone is quite something. But also seeing somebody who is taking their first steps in what would eventually lead them to making broadcast documentary programmes. It's charming and engaging and really wonderful to see.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Re: "The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy": 7 June 1980

Post by Mark »

I have been doing that with a lot of stuff lately, both "Quatermass" and "Sapphire And Steel", 41 years ago!

It is exciting to see Television Centre, noisy and busy again, halcyon days, it's a good piece on "Hitchikers", great shame there wasn't a second series ( light years better than the film).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

How brilliant to see people still discovering and enjoying this series 40 years after its original broadcast:

http://visualmutterings.com/hitchhikers ... -the-first

And good to know that the graphics still catch people's attention!

All the best

Andrew

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

It's good to have the many different versions of THHGG to go into - from the Radio Series, the books, the TV series and the records etc. I like the TV series and the book 'So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish' the best. Of course its all thanks to Douglas Adams idea, ability to convince the BBC about it and continue to keep writing so much funny stuff.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."