Is it all over....?

What's not currently on the box
Ian K McL
405 lines

Re: Is it all over....?

Post by Ian K McL »

Strangely Network DVD highlighted Jokers' Wild only the other day for some unknown reason.

motleybrit
405 lines

Post by motleybrit »

Mark wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:58 am
rosalyn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 pm
Mark wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:01 am

Also, will we ever see "Target", perhaps one of the last really problematical titles.
Are there rights issues with Target? Why is it problematical?

I thought it was a very gritty series for the BBC in its day, and I'm guessing it was made as an attempt to rival The Sweeney. Yet it seems there has never really been any will to promote it or release it.

It almost feels as if the BBC has tried to bury it.
As previously mentioned, there was a VHS release, and BSB screened some episodes, but that was it, there have been several attempts to release it on DVD, but there are some rights issues, possibly for the whole series seemingly getting in the way, Katy Manning was tweeting a while back that it was coming out, but nothing since.

I liked it, thought it was very good, more violent than "The Sweeney", and I liked the cast too.

There was an article about the series in The Mausoleum Club Gazette, or Compendium, I'll have to dig it out and have a read again, It mentions the opening episode's controversial scene of a Woman's head being shoved in a sink full of scolding hot water...don't think Mary Whitehouse was too pleased with that one! ( or indeed the rest).
It's about time the people holding back on this release all got over themselves and allowed it to be released on DVD. The criticism of the violence of the show was over 40 years ago,its just an old show that has barely been repeated

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Ian K McL wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:10 am
Strangely Network DVD highlighted Jokers' Wild only the other day for some unknown reason.
Perhaps more are to come after all?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

motleybrit wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:50 am
Mark wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:58 am

As previously mentioned, there was a VHS release, and BSB screened some episodes, but that was it, there have been several attempts to release it on DVD, but there are some rights issues, possibly for the whole series seemingly getting in the way, Katy Manning was tweeting a while back that it was coming out, but nothing since.

I liked it, thought it was very good, more violent than "The Sweeney", and I liked the cast too.

There was an article about the series in The Mausoleum Club Gazette, or Compendium, I'll have to dig it out and have a read again, It mentions the opening episode's controversial scene of a Woman's head being shoved in a sink full of scolding hot water...don't think Mary Whitehouse was too pleased with that one! ( or indeed the rest).
It's about time the people holding back on this release all got over themselves and allowed it to be released on DVD. The criticism of the violence of the show was over 40 years ago,its just an old show that has barely been repeated
It would be nice to know what the problems are, and why it's caused so much difficulty in getting a release.

It's an obvious one for DVD.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 am
Ian K McL wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:10 am
Perhaps more are to come after all?
Maybe a complete box set, would be great, all that Les Dawson/Ray Martine banter is very entertaining.

I'm still holding out for more of "Indoor League", only the first two of that have come out!

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

Re: Target

The BBC archive says it's blocked due to a complaint from the estate of the programme's late creator.

Al

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Al Dupres wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm
Re: Target

The BBC archive says it's blocked due to a complaint from the estate of the programme's late creator.

Al
So...no escape from the limbo cupboard!

Ian K McL
405 lines

Post by Ian K McL »

That's interesting as the creator was the late Graham Williams. he expected to produce it but ending up producing Doctor Who instead with Doctor Who's producer moving on to produce Target. It is strange as I am sure Target was a lot better than some of the Doctor Whos produced by Graham Williams. I know that nowadays no actors can stop a production they are in, making it out on DVD. I did not think that behind the scenes personnel had the power to stop one of their productions reaching DVD. Anyway was 2 episodes of Target not one of the first BBC Video releases?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Wasn’t TARGET’s originator Roger Marshall, who didn’t appreciate his script(s) being mucked about with and left in a huff?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ian K McL wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am
I know that nowadays no actors can stop a production they are in, making it out on DVD. I did not think that behind the scenes personnel had the power to stop one of their productions reaching DVD. Anyway was 2 episodes of Target not one of the first BBC Video releases?

It's probably the way the BBC paid for its stuff? which resulted in leaky contracts only good for one or two showings.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm
Wasn’t TARGET’s originator Roger Marshall, who didn’t appreciate his script(s) being mucked about with and left in a huff?
Yes, and had his name taken off his script, the well known David Agnew appears instead.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Sadly, the ABC material that Network have been teasing about is for View On Demand.

I have to say, a massive disappointment, I was looking forward to a few orders, but this is not for me.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:32 pm
Sadly, the ABC material that Network have been teasing about is for View On Demand.

I have to say, a massive disappointment, I was looking forward to a few orders, but this is not for me.
Me neither. It's a glorified lending library with fees.

Ian K McL
405 lines

Post by Ian K McL »

While I would have preferred a series of DVD releases I am just happy that this archive materials is being made available for people to see.

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

While the proliferation of streaming services has slowed DVD releases down I think as more services appear and fragment the market DVD/BlueRay will start to make a comeback as people decide they can't subscribe to all of them and they want guaranteed access to their favourites. The lack of "archive" movies and TV shows on most services (Amazon Prime has a few but their selection is bizarrely random) and the way titles disappear without warning could just make people want to get things on physical media - look at the vinyl revival.

Network are a prime example of a company who were anti-social on social media - they acted like they wanted to engage with their public by setting up accounts, posting about releases, encouraging you to subscribe to mailing lists, but they never replied to straight forward questions or suggestions. When they re-branded as NetworkAir it seemed a streaming service was in the offing but nothing ever came to it?
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's a good point about a comeback, I certainly hope so.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I do wonder if this is rights driven rather than a decision to go streaming for the hell of it. The two week window to watch was what immediately puts me off. I have DVDs still in the shrink wrap from 5 or 10 years ago. I knew I wanted to watch the series, but just not then.

Lockdown should, in theory, have given everyone a lot more free time, but I have found myself with considerably less, and with no real desire to watch either TV or the piles of DVDs I have accumulated. It isn't just restricted to TV, I haven't gone out my way to listen to anything and have managed to only get through 2 books where I would normally read that much in a week. Currently I'd need the 14 days to just get through the first 5 minutes of any streaming package!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

stearn wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:20 am
I have DVDs still in the shrink wrap from 5 or 10 years ago. I knew I wanted to watch the series, but just not then.
Yes, I do too. The oldest unwatched TV show I have is The Ghosts of Oxford Street which I recorded in 1991. It got digitised with the rest of my VHS collection but I still haven't found the right time to watch it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Good point from Stearn, there, to be fair, could well be rights driven, hadn't thought of that, so not Networks fault, still not something I would do, so it's a shame, as there is some great material there.

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

ian b wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm
He and Graham Williams met and discussed two scripts, prior to Hinchcliffe being given the entire remit as I understand it. Then, according to a brief chat I had with Rodney Marshall last week, it was David Wickes who upset Roger, so David Agnew substituted..

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

As Terrance Dicks said, David Agnew is best friends with Robin Bland and Allan Smithee :)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Always enjoyed everything David Agnew wrote!

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

I still hope Network release more TV titles - even if its a download to keep option.

I'm still waiting for the rest of the Kid's from 47a

and of those sat in the archives I would love to see :

His and Hers (1970/72 comedy starring Ronald Lewis, Barbara Murray, Tim Brooke Taylor, Madeline Smith)

Kindly leave the kerb (1971 Cooke and Mortimer sitcom starring Peter Butterworth, Peter Jones)

Alexander the Greatest (ATV comedy starring Sydney Taffler, Adrienne Posta - 2 series 1971/72)

Albert and Victoria (Alfred Marks comedy 1971)

Victorian Scandals (Granada Drama 1977)

The Best Things in Life (1969/70 sitcom starring Harry H Corbett, June Whitfield and Bob Todd)

All sat in the ITV archives with not so much a clip available.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Don't do downloads, but I agree with you otherwise, and with your list especially "Alexander The Greatest", which I really enjoyed at the time, would love to see that again.

Imagine the blurb for it:

"Alexander The Greatest", with Gary Warren ("Catweazle"), Sidney Tafler ("Survivors"), Libby Morris ("Space Patrol"), Adrianne Posta ( "The Master"), Spencer Banks ("Timeslip"), Script Editor Phillip Hinchcliffe ( "Doctor Who").

It's a seller!

( By the way, the theme is on YT).

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I'd buy it!

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

I've emailed network about a release some time back and messaged them on Facebook about Alexander The Greatest - They just replied saying they would consider my request.

Does anyone know who actually makes decisions at Network ? I've often wondered...

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

A few old sitcom memories there, likewise remember Alexander the Greatest best.

I also remember that ITV made lots of sitcoms but a lot of them and were forgettable and not very good ...but who knows they may be like old wine now?
Apart from the jewel in the crown Rising Damp Yorkshire TV use to knock out lots of old guff (from memory) His n Hers which they use transmit at midnight in my region...Turnbull's finest hour a sitcom about a TV station, which was apparently based on how Rediffusion TV was run so might have historical interest.. The More we are together a pushing the envelope sex comedy.

Granada too had their obvious jewel Nearest and Dearest but did try with Arthur Lowe in Last of the Baskets but just seem to produce forgettable dross (IMHO) after N & D

ATV made a sitcom in the American style of the time with insane canned laughter etc with Peggy Mount called John Browne's Body the public hated it and thought it was phony..However I have a soft spot for Lollipop loves Mr Mole