Epic that never was - in colour (??)

What's not currently on the box
Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Epic that never was - in colour (??)

Post by Spiny Norman »

Over on another board, someone recently claimed to have seen "The epic that never was" (1965) in colour (except for the archive footage) in a shorter cut in the USA.

Any chance it's true? I'm not immediately convinced it isn't just a mistake, but I suppose it could have been shot on colour film for some reason.
This is nøt å signåture.™

stearn
Committee

Re: Epic that never was - in colour (??)

Post by stearn »

One of the IMDB user reviews says:

Those involved in the production still alive by 1964 are interviewed with their slightly divergent points of view, and they are a colorful lot

Perhaps that's was what confused the viewers memories? :)

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Never seen it in colour and as a very good doc it would have been rerun on BBC2 and probably on every year in the colour era if it had been.

A possibility may be that it was shot on colour negative and just issued with B/W prints for BBC economy?

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

fatcat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:04 am
Never seen it in colour and as a very good doc it would have been rerun on BBC2 and probably on every year in the colour era if it had been.

A possibility may be that it was shot on colour negative and just issued with B/W prints for BBC economy?
Someone checked this and it seems that the negative is b/w stock. So, to answer my own question, it MUST be a false memory.
This is nøt å signåture.™

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Steve Rogers works in the BBC archives, so it is a definitive answer!