Tommorow people Scripts/pdfs any info?

What's not currently on the box
ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Tommorow people Scripts/pdfs any info?

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

If this isn't allowed then delete but- Does anyone know where or know anyone who has Pdfs or scans or knows a website where I can view scripts of the Original series of the tommorow people? It's more of a curiosity than anything as it's nice to see what differs from the scripts to the finished programme. Are any of the scripts available?

Mark
Committee

Re: Tommorow people Scripts/pdfs any info?

Post by Mark »

Jackie's Scrapbook site Did have a number of scripts in the archive section, which could be viewed, but there are no links to the scripts on the page anymore, I don't think the site is active now, sadly.

It featured
"Slaves Of Jedikiah" 3.4.and 5
"The Doomsday Men" 2,3
"Secret Weapon" 1,2, and 3 ( featured Stephen's Father)
"The Esper File" 1,2, and 3 ( first draft of "Secret Weapon")
"Revenge Of Jedikiah" ("Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb")
"The Dirtiest Business" 1, 2
"Mystery Moon" 1, 2 ( unmade series 9 story 1979)

Those are from Roger Price's collection.

The unmade "Mystery Moon" scripts are featured in the book from Miwk Publishing called 'Jaunt', still available I think.

Don't know of anywhere that would have them, I would be interested myself!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

The site is active and lists those scripts but you are right, no links. Let's hope someone else has copies.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Also wondered if any studio footage exists for the tomorrow people or none at all and only the master videotapes.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, wish I had downloaded them at the time, but there it is.

A script book ( or books) would be great.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Drifting slightly from the topic of scripts but still about the tomorrow people, is there any information at all as to if any of the film inserts exist for the tomorrow people? It's probably likely none do or only a very small amount but maybe the likes of Roger Price may have some of the inserts or someone who worked on editing the film?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I can't say I have ever heard of any "TP" film inserts surviving, or (in your previous post) any studio recordings.

Not impossible though, as you say, someone might have something, would be great if there was something, along with "Ace Of Wands".

So just the episodes and a couple of 'Next Week' trails, that were still on the end of the episodes, ( to fill out the episode duration).

I can't remember if the start of the series was trailed, I would have thought it was though.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I like the first and second series the most. I really like the Vanishing earth, Kevin Stoney is great as usual in it and the plot is pretty decent. The idea of the haunted house having a teleport to a mine at the earth's core is great and the Spidron hologram with the water dripping down the glass tank was great in the first episode. As you know they dropped the effect because John Woodnutt was worried that the water would seep into the electrics of the studio and electrocute him, according the dvd commentary. Unfortunately the Artic and volcano scenes haven't aged well

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

It's a shame they cannot spend a bit of money on it and clean up and modernize the dodgy effects as they did with Star Trek. I think it would make it appealing as a loop runner ..like Star Trek

Because as you imply some of the early concepts and writings were so imaginative and excellent. One of my favourites was the blue and the green. However went off it after Pamela Lonsdale left as although you expected a few in a kid's programme when Pamela left it seemed to have got totally overrun with youngsters who couldn't act....and Thames TV's rather strange obsession in promoting a pop band at every opportunity that nobody else was interested in LOL

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm no fan of updated effects, it's okay on DVD as an option, but it wasn't on the "Star Trek" releases, that's why I hang on to my original "ST:TOS" sets, I want to see them as transmitted, it amused me when an episode was promoted on the Sky Menu as having won an award for it's effects, but as they have now been updated, we can't see them.

I think you mean Ruth Boswell on the early "TP" series, Pamela Lonsdale was "Ace Of Wands", and yes she was very good ( as she was, on "Timeslip" for ATV).

The first series was my favourite as well, the stories were well structured and that may have been down to Brian Finch, I'm not sure.

"The Medusa Strain" is my favourite, it highlighted my favourite TP, Carol, who had the lions share of the plot, the only let down was not allowing her to resolve it, given over to the boys instead, John and Stephen, which was a shame.

Series 2 was very good, but the story structure wasn't so strong, the otherwise excellent "Blue And The Green" suffered slightly from this, with two near identical rescue attempts on John, one after the other!

"A Rift In Time" was also extremely good, although a missed opportunity to show more of the alternate earth, really just used for the cliff-hanger.

Roger Price was famously fed up with it after series 3, and I had always assumed the shorter series were because of this, but maybe Thames ( who wanted to continue the series) were responsible, perhaps something to do with the Children's Dept annual budget?

The two-parters were okay, but it meant good plot ideas were thrown away, set up in part one, and quickly resolved in part two, all over in a flash.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

My 'Star Trek' set allows me to switch between original and new effects at will; it's interesting to do so, but the episodes would be incomplete without the correct ones.
People who want 'updated' episodes' might be better off with complete re-mounts. 'Old TV' is meant to look old.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I prefer to watch old programmes with the original effects, but it's nice to have optional cgi ones just for the fact it would show us what the effects would look like if 3d cgi had existed at the time along with green screen. Though the original effects have a certain charm to them and that is why I prefer them. Although the effects in tomorrow people were still quite poor compared to other shows at the time, but they were working on a children's tv budget so they tried their best. The production team apparently took a while to get the hang of the special effects as the series was very technically demanding

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

It is surprising how bad effects could be yet considered acceptable at the time rather than getting round it or just doing something else.

However, the Tomorrow People doesn't have the shoddiest chromakey work I have seen recently on an early 70s Thames programme; that honour goes to an edition of The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes which starts with a scene in the background of which is an arriving train, which is clearly made out of painted card being pulled roughly along as it jerks upward vertically at one point. The people in the foreground are badly fringed with heads almost disappearing, That was an evening drama shown at 9pm rather than a children's programme. As an establishing shot it was as unnecessary as it was risible.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Not seen the The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes one, sounds worse than the pack of London postcards they bought for the Tomorrow People backgrounds LOL
but surely that Rivals of Sherlock Holmes as a costume drama that can still be shown anywhere today is a candidate for an effects redo to keep it credible.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I assume the effects budget ran out, - In the Slaves of jedikiah when the house blows up with the bomb that Jedikiah had planted we see a cheap explosion effect superimposed over a close up of the bomb. It would have been nice if they had a model effect of the house blowing up but I'm assuming they didn't have the money or something and the money was saved for the cyclops ship exploding effect

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Not seen the The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes one, sounds worse than the pack of London postcards they bought for the Tomorrow People backgrounds LOL
but surely that Rivals of Sherlock Holmes as a costume drama that can still be shown anywhere today is a candidate for an effects redo to keep it credible.
Currently it is running at 4am on Talking Pictures. It is not just bad effects I have seen, but some terrible runny makeup and garish lighting. In a way though it doesn't spoil things as much as it might because it just comes as being over-theatrical at times which kind of fits in with the late Victorian setting. Made in 1971, but seemingly still using methods that could be got away with in 405-line black and white maybe. Bit like sets being more clearly shown up as fake in the change to high definition.

Nick Young for one also has the view that the effects at times in The Tomorrow People are not really excusable. One of his main issues seems to have been the episodes handled by inexperienced directors and designers in the later series.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The train effect is not important enough to do anything about, to be fair, generally the series had a reasonable budget, the first one screened had some really good sets, for instance, it was possibly an over confidence in the new Chromakey technology.

With "The Tomorrow People", I rather liked the video effects used, such as the one for opening locks with their hands, and the coloured lights when they jaunted, I thought I was a shame when they dropped that for series 2.

Look at the 90's "TP" series, the CGI effects were not very imaginative, lightning bolts when they jaunted for that one, they always look the same, CGI effects.

Nick Young also said in an interview once, that early on in the series, he was sat in the canteen, and at the next table was the VFX chap making a spaceship from various model kits, ( probably Rowbowski's ship from "The Medusa Strain), in some ways the effects were not that important, they were just a means to convey the storyline.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:39 pm
I assume the effects budget ran out, - In the Slaves of jedikiah when the house blows up with the bomb that Jedikiah had planted we see a cheap explosion effect superimposed over a close up of the bomb. It would have been nice if they had a model effect of the house blowing up but I'm assuming they didn't have the money or something and the money was saved for the cyclops ship exploding effect
They would not have had the budget for model shots like the house explosion.

The shot of the Cyclops ship exploding was done on film and using a space backcloth, directed by Paul Bernard, brought in due to his experience working on "Doctor Who", but rather oddly, it should have been filmed at high speed and then run at normal speed, to make the explosion look more spectacular, but it wasn't!, and so the explosion is just a flash in real time!

The shots of the Robot Jedikiah, floating in space at the end of that first story were also done on film.

Roger Price thought that Paul Bernard had wasted time and budget doing the effects that way, so when Price directed the second one, "The Medusa Strain", he CSO'd both Rowbowski's ship and the Robot Jedikiah on a hired in space background film.

From then on, all model effects were done on VT with Chromakey, IIRC.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There's a very interesting set of pages on "The Tomorrow People" locations, which I thought had gone, but fortunately it has been archived.

There is mention of other scripts surviving, such as "The Medusa Strain", so who knows?...maybe there is a full set.

https://www.oocities.org/tiylaya/locations/index.html