Crown Court: The Medium

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Crown Court: The Medium

Post by Simon36 »

Does anyone have a tx date for this mysterious story? My Kaleidoscope guide (quite an old edition now; a newer one may have identified it) doesn’t list it at all, and Wikipedia has “???” for its tx date. A website for the series erroneously lists it as 29 Nov to 1 December 1972. It was certainly made in 1972. This is a mystery! Be very grateful if anyone can solve this one.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: Crown Court: The Medium

Post by Simon Coward »

An interesting question.

TVTimes lists "R. v Bolton" aka "A Genial Man" during that week but ITV's data says that "R. v Purbeck" aka "The Medium" was shown.

Trying to find detail on any daytime broadcast in any daily newspaper (which would be more up-to-date than TVTimes) is tricky, but here's an interesting thing. Around that time, Granada were repeating Crown Court in the evenings. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 6.30pm they were showing the Crown Court episodes which they, and the rest of the network, had shown the previous Wednesday, Thursday and Friday lunchtimes.

And, from Tuesday 5 December, after their local evening news, Granada were showing the three episodes of "R. v Purbeck" aka "The Medium", which would lend weight to the idea that they had already been shown on the lunchtimes of 29 and 30/11 and 01/12/72 the previous week.

Kaleidoscope's ITV Drama Guide from 2005 listed those dates for "The Medium", but with a warning that the info may not be right. From the 2010 version I think those dates have been treated as being the correct info and it's been assumed, albeit for reasons still not known, that "A Genial Man" wasn't shown.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Thanks for this, superb reply, as I would expect!

It’s all a right mystery, but i had no idea about those early evening re-runs. Oddly, the TVTimes feature for the launch of ITV’s afternoon programming states that Crown Court would “eventually be seen in all areas”. I don’t know where it wasn’t being shown at the start (the handful of regional variations in the edition I have were certainly showing it) but I wonder if a story fell through the cracks somewhere and wasn’t networked. I just can’t see a slot where it could have been seen in daytime. Most odd.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Simon36 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:36 am
Oddly, the TVTimes feature for the launch of ITV’s afternoon programming states that Crown Court would “eventually be seen in all areas”. I don’t know where it wasn’t being shown at the start (the handful of regional variations in the edition I have were certainly showing it)
Ulster was the only region not to screen Crown Court at the start (according to the BBC Viewing Barometer). Irish viewers got 'School Broadcasts' instead.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Liverpool Echo has evening listings for R. v. Purbeck 5, 6, 7 Dec 1972 (Granada), but being essentially an evening paper, the 'next morning' schedules are less informative, so there is nothing to suggest what the previous weeks lunchtime editions were other than R. v. Bolton (starring Edward Jewesbury) 1 Dec at 1.30 (HTV).

Torbay Express and South Devon Echo have Regina v. Bolton listed for 29, 30 Nov, 1 Dec, 1.30 on Westward, and Birmingham Daily Post 1 Dec at 1.30 R. v. Bolton (ATV).

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Interesting. There is just simply no space in the Schedule for them both to have premiered at lunchtime! Can’t see anything in the episode to suggest it was pulled, but perhaps Bolton was, and The Medium replaced it.

Incidentally, does anyone know why Traffic Warden’s Daughter was pulled from transmission? I can’t believe any episode could be pulled for editorial reasons considering Honour Thy Father and Mother was broadcast....

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I suppose any of them could fall foul of the old problem of being too close to a real case that was in the news at the time.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Simon Coward wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:06 am
I suppose any of them could fall foul of the old problem of being too close to a real case that was in the news at the time.
True. How funny if it was The Medium of all things that was!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »