Two untraceable tv plays

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Two untraceable tv plays

Post by Simon36 »

Hmmm, unearthed another mystery here while looking for something.

A play entitled “The Crib”, which is not listed in Kaleidoscope, but was broadcast on 26/12/71 as “A Play for Sunday”. The BFI collections catalogue has no record of it either. It was made by ATV. Is there any way of ascertaining whether it exists and where it would be held if so? EDIT: seems this doesn’t exist.

The second is called The Web. This was made by Granada and shown on 3/12/72 as a Sunday Night Theatre. Kal lists it as existing on PAL, but the BFI have no holdings for it. Can someone remind me where the Granada archive is held these days?

They both look rather interesting, particularly The Web.

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: Two untraceable tv plays

Post by fatcat »

Once upon a time, ITV use to show 2 plays on a Sunday night.... the better known Sunday Night Theatre/Drama 61-67/Armchair Theatre etc in the late evening.. and one early in the evening which often bridged the god slot.

The ones in the early evening are less remembered as they were sporadic, generally not linked,and never repeated (so it's not surprising they have gone under the radar).... and because of the slot where they were they had thought-provoking moral issues. The Crib occupied this slot and I see the cast includes the two lovelies Jenny Twigge (recently re-acquainted with TPTV'S rerun of Rooms) and the late Janet Key, so presumably it was a heartwarming Christmassy tale?

IMDB has a list of some of these plays, but it looks like it has got mixed up with some of the late night plays such as 'Suspense Hour' which belongs in the ' Drama 61-67 ' strand.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245421/ep ... tr_ql_tv_1

The play From Inner Space which was a 4 parter, was an interesting study on how a man being isolated affects his thoughts and behaviours...recently a TR of one part of this play was sold on Ebay .

Another interesting one would be A Tall, Stalwart Lancer which starred James Mason no less.

The good news is that the BFI ( in the past few years) acquired much of the forgotten sections of the ATV archive , the bad news is it all has to be carefully checked as mould etc has been noted as it was not stored in ideal conditions...so that could take years.But they do seem to be drip feeding the collection of plays on a regular basis...which is good eh?

With regards toThe Web which concerned the complicated relationship between a mother and daughter, I would be pretty sure as a Granada production written by Alun Owen that its sitting somewhere carefully indexed.

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Thanks for this, very interesting and good to know that ATV archive recovery is in progress.

Kal guise doesn’t Even list a strand called A Play for Sunday, but you’re quite right, The Crib was an early evening number.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Simon36 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:45 am
Thanks for this, very interesting and good to know that ATV archive recovery is in progress.

Kal guise doesn’t Even list a strand called A Play for Sunday, but you’re quite right, The Crib was an early evening number.
Fellow poster Billy Smart usually knows what the BFI is up to and he brought to the forum's attention a while ago that

they had remastered a long lost ATV late Sunday night play No Harm done

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077691/reference

Some good names there.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Simon36 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:43 am
The second is called The Web. This was made by Granada and shown on 3/12/72 as a Sunday Night Theatre. Kal lists it as existing on PAL, but the BFI have no holdings for it. Can someone remind me where the Granada archive is held these days?
Granada's archive is part of ITV's archive which is [mostly] physically held in Leeds.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Simon36 wrote:
A play entitled “The Crib”, which is not listed in Kaleidoscope, but was broadcast on 26/12/71 as “A Play for Sunday”. The BFI collections catalogue has no record of it either. It was made by ATV. Is there any way of ascertaining whether it exists and where it would be held if so? EDIT: seems this doesn’t exist.
A Play for Sunday and "The Crib" have been in the Kaleidoscope ITV Drama Guide since 2005, admittedly the full series listing wasn't complete back then. None of the six plays in the series survive.

Of course you could have checked whether either of these plays survived by using the free 'lost shows' functionality in TV Brain (e.g. "The Crib" and "The Web").

I'm not quite convinced by leading with the claim that two plays are "untraceable" just because they weren't listed in something published around a quarter of a century ago and aren't currently listed by the BFI. Particularly when the former has been updated at least twice since that edition and the online equivalent gets updated weekly-ish.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

fatcat wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:54 pm
Simon36 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:45 am

Fellow poster Billy Smart usually knows what the BFI is up to and he brought to the forum's attention a while ago that

they had remastered a long lost ATV late Sunday night play No Harm done

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077691/reference

Some good names there, more could be seen of Helen Worth than since.

Shown at Missing Believed Wiped recently too.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Simon Coward wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:02 am
Simon36 wrote:
A Play for Sunday and "The Crib" have been in the Kaleidoscope ITV Drama Guide since 2005, admittedly the full series listing wasn't complete back then. None of the six plays in the series survive.

Of course you could have checked whether either of these plays survived by using the free 'lost shows' functionality in TV Brain (e.g. "The Crib" and "The Web").

I'm not quite convinced by leading with the claim that two plays are "untraceable" just because they weren't listed in something published around a quarter of a century ago and aren't currently listed by the BFI. Particularly when the former has been updated at least twice since that edition and the online equivalent gets updated weekly-ish.
Blimey, that’s me told.

I was referring to the fact that I couldn’t trace any information about them. I actually momentarily forgot about “lost shows”. But I never will again.