Most in need of a reissue.....

What's not currently on the box
lovecraft
625 lines

Most in need of a reissue.....

Post by lovecraft »

There is a seller on a certain well known auction site currently looking for £750 for the complete Juliet Bravo. Not sure he'll get it but certainly suggests there might be appetite for a repress?

What's the wackiest asking price you've seen for an officially released series?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: Most in need of a reissue.....

Post by Simon Coward »

At the moment, someone's asking for £107.24 for a second-hand copy of the Karaoke / Cold Lazarus DVD set on what I would imagine is the same site.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Kieran Seymour
405 lines

Post by Kieran Seymour »

It doesn't tend to go for outrageously daft money - even if it's still beyond most people's wallet and common sense - but I'd like to see Star Cops back in print. Mainly because I'd like to own a copy!

And if nothing else it'd put a spanner in the works for the people who've been coining it in with their eBay knock-off sets for years now.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I don't know about a RE-issue, but SPENDER has only been available via appalling quality knock-offs so far.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense has sold for £70-plus on Ebay more than once. There’s a German Vol 1 set which came out in 2018, but no sign of a Vol 2.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Juswuh wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 am
There’s a German Vol 1 set which came out in 2018, but no sign of a Vol 2.
There's no need of one! The Pidax Vorsicht, Hochspannung! collection includes all 13 Mystery & Suspense films.

motleybrit
405 lines

Post by motleybrit »

brigham wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 am
I don't know about a RE-issue, but SPENDER has only been available via appalling quality knock-offs so far.
Its very strange that Spender has no official DVD release, almost everything else Jimmy Nial has done has been released over the years

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

I’ve got no idea what Juliet Bravo would be worth, but surely nowhere near that much. If they get it, I’m in the wrong business. It’s just the old trick of putting a ridiculous price on something and people bargaining you down, and then take a suitable offer, like when selling property.

I won't be holding my breath, but I sometimes wonder that people (like me) that have ridiculously large DVD collections may be sitting on a small goldmine in years to come when some of the original issues, and only issues, of some of these DVDs are long out of print, especially the slightly more obscure titles. When there’s no re-pressings or it’s not available streamed or as a download.

A lot of things came out on vinyl (LPs and 45s) that haven’t seen the light-of-day on CD or download. Just as a few things came out on VHS (and Beta) that never got to DVD or beyond. It's the same with books, thousands of copies of certain books were printed and only a handful of copies remain today.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Billy Smart wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:28 am

There's no need of one! The Pidax Vorsicht, Hochspannung! collection includes all 13 Mystery & Suspense films.
All the Ebay listings I’ve seen say it has 11 episodes, and a couple have listed them - with “Czech Mate” and “Last Video And Testament” left out. Have you actually seen a copy?

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Juswuh wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:25 am
All the Ebay listings I’ve seen say it has 11 episodes, and a couple have listed them - with “Czech Mate” and “Last Video And Testament” left out. Have you actually seen a copy?
Yes. I own one. The German dubs of Czech Mate and Last Video And Testament are lost, but the original English versions are present and correct as extras.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

I will nominate the wartime series Pathfinders.

Although I have mixed feelings about the series itself, it could certainly do with an upgrade.

I suppose we should always be grateful when an obscure TV show such as this is released at all, but really, the 16mm film transfers in the currently available set from Simply Media are terrible. They look like they were done with a cheapo video camera pointing at a screen, and with automatic aperture and exposure. Just watch when there are shot changes between light and dark scenes, or when one of the Lancaster bombers appears with a very bright sky behind it. Gee whizz! Even with the very limited telecine experience I was very fortunate enough to gain years and years ago, I myself never produced a tape transfer that looked as remotely as awful as what is presented here.

To add further insult to injury, it says on the DVD cover "The Complete Series", yet there are only 12-episodes in the set out of the filmed 13.

The eighth story ' Our Daffodils Are Better Than Your Daffodils', has gone AWOL.

With a more focused effort, and I am always willing to muck in myself and help in any way I can if asked, I am sure a much better release is possible.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Quite a few BBC bits go in quite cheap box sets and I live in hope that Juliet Bravo might get this treatment.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

When Network started putting ITC shows out on blu-ray with full restoration I asked on one of their Youtube pages if they were planning to do The Baron and was told yes. No sign of it some years on, unfortunately as the old DVD set left a lot of room for improvement.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

rosalyn wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 am
I will nominate the wartime series Pathfinders.

Although I have mixed feelings about the series itself, it could certainly do with an upgrade.

I suppose we should always be grateful when an obscure TV show such as this is released at all, but really, the 16mm film transfers in the currently available set from Simply Media are terrible. They look like they were done with a cheapo video camera pointing at a screen, and with automatic aperture and exposure. Just watch when there are shot changes between light and dark scenes, or when one of the Lancaster bombers appears with a very bright sky behind it. Gee whizz! Even with the very limited telecine experience I was very fortunate enough to gain years and years ago, I myself never produced a tape transfer that looked as remotely as awful as what is presented here.

To add further insult to injury, it says on the DVD cover "The Complete Series", yet there are only 12-episodes in the set out of the filmed 13.

The eighth story ' Our Daffodils Are Better Than Your Daffodils', has gone AWOL.

With a more focused effort, and I am always willing to muck in myself and help in any way I can if asked, I am sure a much better release is possible.
I think it was Simply that were responsible for DVD releases from the Merton Park studios (Scotland Yard,Edgar Wallace etc) a decade or so back when they had been out of TV circulation for some time and Network hadn't released them...they too looked like it was a camcorder/old school projector job. They also had an episode missing Wings of Death which lead to a belief that it was actually missing and lost ..but was probably because they couldn't get hold of it LOL

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm up for "Juliet Bravo", would also like to see "Gangsters" re-released.

Also a box set of all the "Crossroads" episodes thus far released, ( but not in cardboard sleeves).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

fatcat wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:29 pm

I think it was Simply that were responsible for DVD releases from the Merton Park studios (Scotland Yard,Edgar Wallace etc) a decade or so back when they had been out of TV circulation for some time and Network hadn't released them...they too looked like it was a camcorder/old school projector job. They also had an episode missing Wings of Death which lead to a belief that it was actually missing and lost ..but was probably because they couldn't get hold of it LOL

LOL

fatcat I had better correct myself here. I dug out my Pathfinders DVD set after my first posting and it was released by DD Home Entertainment. It looks as if it was released again by Simply Media, though I suppose they are the same lousy film transfers.

There is also a posting on ebay I have found that suggests DD did have the missing episode, but that the film was "in a frail state", which it claims is why it isn't included. I'm intrigued. Why put on your DVD sleeve it is "The Complete Series" when it clearly isn't?

DD also released Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense, mentioned earlier in this thread. I've got these as well, before they started going for silly money. Again the film transfers aren't too hot, and when each episode finishes there is an end cap which says 'A Brent Walker Video Presentation'. Doing a bit of research it looks like they are the same masters used for a set of rare VHS releases for video rental in the mid-eighties. The mind boggles.

Aren't these companies - DD, Simply, and Brent Walker - all long gone now?

Hammer House was shot on 35mm film, and I expect would scrub up rather well if redone for Bluray.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, they have gone.

The same thing happened with DD's release of "The Rag Trade", with one left off, supposedly due to the condition of the print, so probably no budget to clean them up!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"