"The Other One" other ones!

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

"The Other One" other ones!

Post by Mark »

The talk about "The Other One" in the 'Other' thread, got me thinking about the various Sit-Coms that didn't seem to catch on for some reason.

"The Magnificent Evans" would be one nomination from me, I really liked it, and yet only one series was produced.

Roy Clarke writing, Ronnie Barker starring, that lovely welsh wistful feeling to it, so loved by Barker, and of course, it was funny, but the audiences didn't take to it.

Perhaps it was Barker's character, a somewhat rude and egocentric photographer, living with his girlfriend much to the disgust of her family.

Barker didn't have much luck with his welsh comedies, the also excellent "I'll Fly You For A Quid", ( about a family of welsh gamblers) part of the 1973 "Seven Of One" series didn't get past that pilot, much to Barker's Disappointment.

"The Growing Pains Of PC Penrose" was another one I liked very much, but was revamped after one series as "Rosie", which was very good, but I still prefer the first run, at least it was given a chance, but why was the revamp so successful, when the first run wasn't?

Be interested to hear others thoughts on these shows, and any other nominations for ones you think should have continued.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

murphy1961
405 lines

Re: "The Other One" other ones!

Post by murphy1961 »

Fawlty Towers – only a measly 12 episodes. I thought it had a promising future.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. But I do think they should have made a few more. Maybe at least one more series. It always seems strange that a show which so many people say is one of the best ever has so few episodes. Particularly alongside shows like Dad’s Army, Steptoe & Son and Only Fools & Horses – and others. I still reckon people that don't know any better (and without looking it up) think there were a lot more than just a dozen made.

I can think of more that probably went on too long, in my opinion, rather than stopped prematurely.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

At least with Fawlty Towers it was a case of stop when the ideas the writers were passionate about ran out and not prolonging it with new episodes just written to keep it going and people saying "it's not as good as it used to be".

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brian F wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:50 am
At least with Fawlty Towers it was a case of stop when the ideas the writers were passionate about ran out and not prolonging it with new episodes just written to keep it going and people saying "it's not as good as it used to be".
Cleese himself has commented that that was the general opinion about the second series of FT at the time.

As to the subject of this thread, "sitcoms" is a subset of the previous topic One-series wonders, with its companion Programmes that kept going for no real reason.

Also worth a review TVseries not shows that never saw the light of day and Shows ruined by revival/comeback

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Brian F wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:50 am
Considering that FT only has 12 episodes, there is a rather high proportion of flops among them. The Wedding Party, anyone? I’ve always thought The Germans was rubbish too. I can certainly live without the first half of it.

Victoria Coren Mitchell squeezed in a rather droll put-down of Cleese on last night’s Only Connect, and his claim that Monty Python isn’t repeated any more because it’s too funny and would show up modern comedy.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Perhaps Colin’s Sandwich had run its course, but I’d certainly have watched another series.

A curious one that never gets a mention is Goodbye Mr Kent. It’s an odd one, I think that like The Other One, the premise is a little too bewildering at first glance, and we aren’t quite sure where our sympathies are meant to lie, especially since it’s audience-favourite Richard Briers playing the bad guy.

Briers had another flop in the early Seventies, Birds on a Wing, about con artists.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I mentioned it back in 2016, but L for Lester should definitely have had a second series. It was absolutely hysterical and no one remembers it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"L For Lester" was a good show, Brian Murphy always great.

What about "Grace And Favour", at least there were two series of that one, but I thought the set up was really good, I was surprised it didn't seem to catch on, and we didn't get more.

I would also like to have seen more of "Come Back Mrs Noah", but the BBC didn't seem to like it and scheduled it badly, so wasn't really given a chance.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Mention of Brian Murphy has reminded me of another contender, Mrs Merton and Malcolm. Well received by the public (including me) but according to Wikipedia not by the critics.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There are many instances of course, of that happening.

I'm not sure what the critics said about "The Gnomes Of Dulwich", but I thought it was very different, a satire played out through Garden Gnomes, but that one didn't seem to catch on with audiences.

Hugh Lloyd and Terry Scott were very popular in "Hugh And I" ( which was admittedly excellent and very funny) but the following spies series "Hugh And I Spy" didn't take off either.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

If I remember correctly (having watched these at the time of transmission) they seemed too much unlike Hugh & I and we wanted more of those, not what we were given, which didn't seem as funny.

I also have a slight memory of seeing them both in Summer season at the Pier Theatre in Southsea, which was better than both of the later series.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Although not a sit-com, but a sketch show, as a twelve year old in 1978, I loved LWT's The Pink Medicine Show and often wondered why there was only the one series. With a bit of hindsight, there may have only been a limited mileage on sketches based on the medical profession.