Name this tune? Some kind of library track?

What's not currently on the box
Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Name this tune? Some kind of library track?

Post by Spiny Norman »

If anyone could identify this theme tune, which was ultimately not even used, I'd be really grateful! It can't be later than 1968, that's all I know.

Posting a link to just a short fragment, that should probably be safe I hope?

YOUTUBE LINKS NOT ALLOWED UNLESS POSTED BY COPYRIGHT OWNER
This is nøt å signåture.™

stearn
Committee

Re: Name this tune? Some kind of library track?

Post by stearn »

It was the Frost on Saturday theme and was most definitely used and a quick google finds a video of the Frankie Howerd edition from 1969 opening with it, so it was used later that 1968.

It would appear that it was written by George Martin and played by George Martin and his Orchestra. The Beatles played it when they appeared on Frost on Saturday in 1968 (https://dannyfriar.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... stra-1966/)

I must dig out my Network DVDs and give them a rewatch.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

So it is!

Well, it was used later than 1968 of course. I meant it couldn't be younger.
This is nøt å signåture.™

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:47 pm
So it is!

Well, it was used later than 1968 of course. I meant it couldn't be younger.
If you look up Hey Jude on that well known video site it should be the tune the Beatles take the P with as David Frost approaches

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The link I gave says it was used on all the Frost On.. programmes which started in 1966. I thought it was like the Whicker theme - something everyone had heard, and those with a small amount of interest in telly could place almost immediately from those TVTheme LPs that were the closest we ever thought we'd get to various programmes way back in the dark ages of VHS releases and only a handful of TV channels.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The iconic David Frost theme, no less.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

It was played on Andy Marriott's radio show less than four weeks ago - I even commented on it in this post! (If that's not a good reason for listening, I don't know what is.)

http://the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/phpBB3 ... 384#p40384

The full title is "By George! – It’s The David Frost Theme", and as previously mentioned it was used on a number of different British TV programmes. What seems remarkable is that it appears to have been used both for his Rediffusion show (The Frost Programme) and his LWT programmes (Frost on Friday/Saturday/Sunday).

To confuse things further, Andy Marriott introduced it as the theme to The David Frost Show, which as far as I know was shown exclusively in the US. This may have been an error though.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

stearn wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 pm
The link I gave says it was used on all the Frost On.. programmes which started in 1966.
I don't think that can be right, can it? The Frost On... programmes were made by LWT, which didn't come on air until 1968.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

My bad, I misquoted it when skimming through last night but I thought providing the link was better than just cutting and pasting the entire text. I'll do that now for those who don't wish to follow a link:

This song was written by George Martin in 1966. It was used as the theme to the TV show The Frost Programme which was hosted by David Frost and was aired from 1966 to 1968. The theme was also used for the TV shows Frost On Friday (1968- 1969), Frost On Sunday (1968 -1970) and Frost On Saturday (1968 – 1973). By George! – It’s The David Frost Theme was recorded by George Martin And His Orchestra at EMI Studios in 1966. It was produced by George Martin and released as a single. The B-side was (Serenade To) A Double Scotch. The Beatles played the song when they appeared on Frost On Saturday in 1968.

Reference: https://dannyfriar.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... stra-1966/

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Was the tune possibly OWNED by David Frost?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I have no idea, but I would say it probably became so associated with him that it was worthless to anyone else - see also Parkinson and Whicker.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

If George Martin wrote it, then he owned the copyright - as far as I understand. He would presumably also have held the rights to his own recording.

The fact that he put his own name in the title may provide an additional clue!

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

You can sell rights, and Frost would have been savvier than most, so may well have bought them.

u03drp
405 lines

Post by u03drp »

It was included on the 2005 Granada Media / Virgin Records album "ITV50 The Album", at which time the rights in the sound recording (which sounds like the recording used on screen) were given as (P) 1966 EMI Records Ltd.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mention of David Frost reminds me of some remarkable archive material that's recently been uncovered - see this thread.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

It was originally issued on this 1968 album, "British Maid". It was re-issued in 1970 on the budget Sunset label as, "By George".
I have a copy of the re-issue.

https://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/ulp1196

Andy Marriott
625 lines

Post by Andy Marriott »

Brock wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 am

To confuse things further, Andy Marriott introduced it as the theme to The David Frost Show, which as far as I know was shown exclusively in the US. This may have been an error though.
I announced it as such to avoid confusion! As it had been used on so many DF projects...

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Andy Marriott wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:09 am
Brock wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 am

I announced it as such to avoid confusion! As it had been used on so many DF projects...
Ah, thanks for that! I'm a bit of an obsessive fan of your programme, as you may have noticed from the thread on the Radio board. Keep up the good work!