Misremembered titles

What's not currently on the box
Controller 2957
625 lines

Re: Misremembered titles

Post by Controller 2957 »

Not quite the same thing, but in our house my mother would constantly refer to a programme by the name of one of the characters in it. For instance, 'Only Fools & Horses' was forever just 'Del Boy' and 'Open All Hours' would be 'Arkwright' in the 2957 household. And even commonly accepted abbreviations of programme titles were (deliberately?) given the malaprop treatment. Hence, 'Corrie' would be 'Corro'.
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The last one makes just as little sense!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

When did Coronation Street become commonly known as "Corrie" anyway? I'm sure I never heard it when I was growing up in the 70s - not in my part of the country anyway (HTV West region).

Other soap operas don't seem to have nicknames - "Emmie" might have taken off, though "Eastie" seems highly inappropriate...

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

"Enders"?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Brock wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:35 pm
When did Coronation Street become commonly known as "Corrie" anyway? I'm sure I never heard it when I was growing up in the 70s - not in my part of the country anyway (HTV West region).

Yes, always just "The Street" where I was.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

It may not be relevant, but it was the mid to late 80s that awful shortened nicknames like Gazza became 'popular'. Corrie may have been part of that trend.