"Magic, our Maurice"

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

"Magic, our Maurice"

Post by Brock »

On the subject of misquotes, did Selwyn Froggitt (Bill Maynard) ever actually say "Magic, our Maurice"? He certainly said "Magic" a lot, and he certainly referred to his brother as "our Maurice"; but whether the two actually occurred together I wouldn't like to say. I found this interview in Northern Life magazine:

http://northernlifemagazine.co.uk/bill-maynard/
Interviewer (Karen Shaw): Ah, good old Selwyn, ‘Magic Our Maurice!’ What a great catch phrase…

Maynard: Did you know ‘magic’ became one of the biggest catchphrases throughout the world? I just copied it from a lad in my local village. He was a hell of a character. All I did was copy him.
Just "magic". Not "magic our Maurice". Even if he did say them together on occasion, I'm sure it wasn't in every episode.

stearn
Committee

Re: "Magic, our Maurice"

Post by stearn »

Not one of the series I plumped for in any of the Network sales (I think Granada+ rebroadcast it, and that was enough to last me), but I am pretty sure, as you say, they were two separate catchphrases within the show. This is a google result from a search of the thread title, and that seems to be of the same opinion: https://nostalgiacentral.com/television ... -froggitt/

Anyone volunteering for a marathon watch to check?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

stearn wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:23 pm
Anyone volunteering for a marathon watch to check?
I hope that won't be necessary!

I think you have to be almost exactly my age (54) to fully appreciate the cultural significance of Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt. A few years to one side or the other, and you won't be aware of the phenomenon of people sticking their thumbs up and shouting "Magic, our Maurice". Something I still do to this day, no doubt to the bemusement of people around me...

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Being whacked rounds the ears as 'you've been tangoed' is my memory.

Resulting in 'I heard that, pardon!'