Love Thy Neighbour on DVD

What's not currently on the box
jno
405 lines

Love Thy Neighbour on DVD

Post by jno »

I have not been keeping up with DVD releases of this series over the years. Can anyone tell me if the Australian releases of the series are preferred over the UK releases? Is there anything on them that doesn't appear on the UK releases?

I have seen a few of these over the years and without wanting to be branded a 70s racist bigot, I really have enjoyed them. If I am to buy the lot on DVD I'd really like to get the most definitive release. Any help appreciated!

brigham
HD

Re: Love Thy Neighbour on DVD

Post by brigham »

jno wrote: ...I have seen a few of these over the years and without wanting to be branded a 70s racist bigot, I really have enjoyed them...
Bring on the day when the white man can forget he's white, and talk about such subjects without the need to excuse himself.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Due to the balls up on the original UK release that resulted in one series being released twice (once as part of a set and then separately) when then rights changed hands, I bought the Australian release of the first four series to make the collection tidier. Now this has been corrected and those ridiculous early boxed sets have been deleted and replaced there's nothing different about the Australian release that makes it worth buying over the Uk release. I also have the first two series in R1 which does differ slightly in that the ad bumpers at the end of part one and beginning of part two are in place which they're not on the UK/Aus releases. (The first two series released in Australia did have the ad bumpers when first released but that release has been deleted).

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

With all the talk about bying the UK show from Australia,I keep expecting a mention of the Australian series; though I suppose there's no choice but to buy those from the Antipodies.
I've finally ordered the Australian series 2 of 'George and Mildred',with the Brian Murphy commentaries,to go with the 'Man About the House' ones...

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

I have also read that there is a missing episode (April Fools?) which was supposedly deemed too extreme to be included on a DVD set - I assume this is the case across all regions, is that right or has this episode seen the light of day?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Now,I'm usually caught out by these,but even I'm wondering about this one...

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:
jno wrote: ...I have seen a few of these over the years and without wanting to be branded a 70s racist bigot, I really have enjoyed them...
Bring on the day when the white man can forget he's white, and talk about such subjects without the need to excuse himself.
Can anyone explain to me why Love Thy Neighbour - a show making fun of racist bigotry - got branded as racist itself, whereas the same never happened with Till Death Us Do Part?

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Brock wrote:Can anyone explain to me why Love Thy Neighbour - a show making fun of racist bigotry - got branded as racist itself, whereas the same never happened with Till Death Us Do Part?
Becos Vince Powell et all didn't/haven't got such big gobs as Johnny "I've got an opinion mate & I'm going to tell you" Speight?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Brock wrote:Can anyone explain to me why Love Thy Neighbour - a show making fun of racist bigotry - got branded as racist itself, whereas the same never happened with Till Death Us Do Part?
I think these days Alf would be taken at face value by BBC Compliance and also labelled racist bigotry. In fact, I remember an Open Air poll from about 1988 where Till Death was classed alongside LTN as racist. On the basis of series one and two of LTN, and the film spin-off, I'd say it wasn't racist, but for a long time there have been enough vocal people seemingly unable to tell the difference between a racist character and a racist show, which is why racism itself has long been a taboo subject for fiction.

solidgold25
405 lines

Post by solidgold25 »

jno wrote:I have also read that there is a missing episode (April Fools?) which was supposedly deemed too extreme to be included on a DVD set - I assume this is the case across all regions, is that right or has this episode seen the light of day?
Does anyone know the particular reason(s) why this is not included on the DVD releases?

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

It wouldn't surprise me if it was an oversight by incompetent staff.
For a long time it was assumed another episode was missing - the coach trip one - but that was hidden away in the wrong place on the discs and its representative still image on the menus was from the preceding episode - so no wonder there was confusion.
In addition we had the first Series 3 release which was also series 4 followed by Fremantles own Series 4 release when they were not even aware it had been out before .
Very unlikely the episode could be any more extreme than any others already included and regardless of the content there's no real reason it wouldn't be on the discs unless it was lost , damaged or most likely , overlooked by mistake.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Brock wrote: Can anyone explain to me why Love Thy Neighbour - a show making fun of racist bigotry - got branded as racist itself, whereas the same never happened with Till Death Us Do Part?
Because it's not as good - that's the short answer.

LTN had a heart-in-the-right-place 'Isn't bigotry ridiculous?' message and not much else, which is why (even with the potentially interesting political character dynamic - Bill being a hard-working Tory, Eddie being a lazy leftie) it gets wearing after very few episodes. But TDUDP, along with Rising Damp, is generally regarded as a more subtle and thoughtful work. There's a a genuine complexity to Alf and Rigsby, which raises the shows above the 'two people shouting at each other in a pit' level.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Ross wrote:for a long time there have been enough vocal people seemingly unable to tell the difference between a racist character and a racist show, which is why racism itself has long been a taboo subject for fiction.
Racist characters/storylines are alive and well - they just have to be clearly signposted, that's all. It has to be VERY VERY CLEAR that the racist character is bad.

Remember the bit in The Singing Detective where Marlow pretends to be racist to his friend Ali purely to wind the doctor up? I doubt you'd get the equivalent of that today, because it would be seen as dangerously ambiguous. It credits the viewer with enough brains to work out what's going on in the scene.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mike S wrote: LTN had a heart-in-the-right-place 'Isn't bigotry ridiculous?' message and not much else, which is why (even with the potentially interesting political character dynamic - Bill being a hard-working Tory, Eddie being a lazy leftie) it gets wearing after very few episodes. But TDUDP, along with Rising Damp, is generally regarded as a more subtle and thoughtful work. There's a a genuine complexity to Alf and Rigsby, which raises the shows above the 'two people shouting at each other in a pit' level.
All of this I agree with. But the fact that one show used a more subtle form of humour than the other shouldn't really make any difference. Either lampooning racism is acceptable, or it isn't. The quality of the comedy shouldn't be the defining issue.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

It does mean people are more inclined to defend it, though, which is why you end up with the 'Love Thy Neighbour = racist; Till Death = satire' canard. I mean, I think Mind Your Language is generally defensible, for example, but it's also rubbish - therefore I can't really be bothered to fight its corner.

I do find the whole 'Cyuh dear, blacks and whites are as bad as each other' message in LTN a bit problematic, though, because it's not a true depiction of the racism it claims to address. It simplifies the problem (as if the two bigotries somehow cancel one another out), whereas Till Death takes it into more uncomfortable/complex areas.

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

Ross wrote:
I think these days Alf would be taken at face value by BBC Compliance and also labelled racist bigotry. In fact, I remember an Open Air poll from about 1988 where Till Death was classed alongside LTN as racist. On the basis of series one and two of LTN, and the film spin-off, I'd say it wasn't racist, but for a long time there have been enough vocal people seemingly unable to tell the difference between a racist character and a racist show, which is why racism itself has long been a taboo subject for fiction.
I wonder if a brilliant programme such as 'If There Weren't Any Blacks, You'd Have to Invent Them' would also cause controversy today, even though anyone with more than one working brain cell can see it is (superb) satire.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

ayrshireman wrote: I wonder if a brilliant programme such as 'If There Weren't Any Blacks, You'd Have to Invent Them' would also cause controversy today, even though anyone with more than one working brain cell can see it is (superb) satire.
I still love the DVD cover for that:

I like the way it allows you to expertly infer from the two photos 'Hmm, is this some kind of satire on racism do you think?'

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I was a bit surprised to receive an email from Network DVD saying they have all series of Love Thy Neighbour in their clearance store for £2.50. I don't recall Network ever having anything to do with releasing it.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

They have Rumpole as well, and weren't involved with releasing that - first it was Acorn and then Fremantle themselves. I am sure this is related tot he fact that Network have signed a deal with Fremantle and what better way to clear the old stock than by flogging it through an established site. The 'restored' version of World At War is there as well.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Is there a chance that Network might resolve the World at War issue and give it a decent restored but non-artificial widescreen reissue or is that just some wishful thinking I read on this site?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Some people are hoping that these series might receive a better,Network,release before too long,as a result of the new deal.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

SgtPepper wrote:I was a bit surprised to receive an email from Network DVD saying they have all series of Love Thy Neighbour in their clearance store for £2.50. I don't recall Network ever having anything to do with releasing it.
At that price, I'll take a set. It shouldn't get too tedious at one episode a week.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

solidgold25 wrote:
jno wrote:I have also read that there is a missing episode (April Fools?) which was supposedly deemed too extreme to be included on a DVD set - I assume this is the case across all regions, is that right or has this episode seen the light of day?
Does anyone know the particular reason(s) why this is not included on the DVD releases?
In a way it was. If you read the synopses in TVTimes for the April Fool's episode and for the second episode in the same run you can see that they're the same thing.

I'm not entirely sure what was broadcast on week 2, but I suspect it was a repeat.

On the subject of things missing, don't forget that there were actually eight series. I'd hate someone to think they're getting the whole lot for the bargain price of £17.50. If paying any money for LTN constitutes a bargain...
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Just to confirm what Simon said - there is no April Fool's episode. That particular series was screwed around by various behind-the-scenes issues, resulting in them basically recording most episodes only a few days before TX (i.e. it was being made after the episode blurb had been sent to TVTimes for printing). All episodes made - barring the Comedy Carnival insert - have been released on DVD.

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Simon Coward wrote:
solidgold25 wrote:
In a way it was. If you read the synopses in TVTimes for the April Fool's episode and for the second episode in the same run you can see that they're the same thing.

I'm not entirely sure what was broadcast on week 2, but I suspect it was a repeat.

On the subject of things missing, don't forget that there were actually eight series. I'd hate someone to think they're getting the whole lot for the bargain price of £17.50. If paying any money for LTN constitutes a bargain...
You can get the whole collection from well known online retailers for £20 anyway. The whole release was a balls up starting with the dreadful Pegasus release of Series 1-3 that also included Series 4. Some sites still maintain that there were only 7 series with series 4 being 14 episodes long. I still have the two disc set of 14 episodes that was originally released as Series 4 but was withdrawn when people realised they already had half the episodes. I think Network should burn the lot and do a decent release from scratch. :-)

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

There's a really funny rundown of the ten top rated Love Thy Neighbour episodes in this podcast: http://benbaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/ ... -riot.html

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

JWG wrote:Some people are hoping that these series might receive a better,Network,release before too long,as a result of the new deal.
Amen to that.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]