Mrs Merton and Malcolm

What's not currently on the box
Daspouter
405 lines

Mrs Merton and Malcolm

Post by Daspouter »

Anyone else a fan of this great, underrated show? Apparently, Caroline Aherne voluntarily terminated the show after just 1 series, after complaints that it was `sick' and poked fun at the mentally ill. I watched it at the time, from ep 3 onwards, and loved it. Like a lot of great British comedy, it mixes the humour with sadness as it is quite a horrible situation - a nosey old woman who's son is retarded, her only friend is suffering the onset of dementia, and her husband is a vegetable! Great performances, and scripts. Im in the minority, but i much prefer this to `The Royle Family', which is good but overrated.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Re: Mrs Merton and Malcolm

Post by Ernest Grainger »

Yes, I thought it was brilliant - a lost gem. But then I was a massive fan of Mrs Merton too, and think Caroline Aherne is a comedy genius.

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

Glad theres at least one other fan of the show - i never tire of watching those 6 eps on the DVD. Its a great shame it was cancelled. apparently there was a Xmas ep planned, would have loved to see that.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

It's a great shame Mrs Merton was retired - I think the sitcom was her last appearance?

Just checked, and it would appear that the final episode, TX. 29 March 1999 was Caroline Aherne's last broadcast as Mrs Merton on British TV. The chat show did get a bit tired towards the end, but I think there were still possibilities, like the sitcom. Bring her back, say I...

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

This was a great show! Didn't Mrs Merton and Malcolm also appear in a series of ads for i think British Gas at around this time!

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

Ernest Grainger wrote:It's a great shame Mrs Merton was retired - I think the sitcom was her last appearance?

Just checked, and it would appear that the final episode, TX. 29 March 1999 was Caroline Aherne's last broadcast as Mrs Merton on British TV. The chat show did get a bit tired towards the end, but I think there were still possibilities, like the sitcom. Bring her back, say I...
Yes, i agree! I like `The Royle Family', but still think its a poor substitute. I havent seen much of `The Mrs merton Show', but i remember the one where Chris Eubank went in the huff and wouldnt speak. That edition was repeated in 1998.

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

simon10011 wrote:This was a great show! Didn't Mrs Merton and Malcolm also appear in a series of ads for i think British Gas at around this time!
Dunno, but ill check on Youtube. Thanks for the info:-)

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

Daspouter wrote:
simon10011 wrote:This was a great show! Didn't Mrs Merton and Malcolm also appear in a series of ads for i think British Gas at around this time!
Dunno, but ill check on Youtube. Thanks for the info:-)
Ive checked, and its there, under `British Gas Ad 1996' (they got the year wrong).

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

I enjoyed Mrs Merton and Malcolm on the whole but one thing that put me off it was Mrs Merton referring to David Bowies's Starman, It seemed completely wrong for the character and destroyed the illusion somehow. But that's just me being an old git I'm sure.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

andrew baker wrote:I enjoyed Mrs Merton and Malcolm on the whole but one thing that put me off it was Mrs Merton referring to David Bowies's Starman, It seemed completely wrong for the character and destroyed the illusion somehow. But that's just me being an old git I'm sure.
There are odd moments like that - a bit like Sue Johnston's title character in the currently-on-air Being Eileen going to a Rihanna concert the other week. And the couple in Last Tango in Halifax recalling how they jived, when they'd last seen each other in 1953, a good few years before anyone in Britain knew about rock 'n' roll. Unless they were recalling doing it without each other...

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

If they'd been jiving, maybe it was to jive music? That predated rock 'n' roll.

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

My earliest sitcom memory. I used to love this age 3. As a kid you never thought of him as a retarded

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The jive craze was part of the Swing music era, and came over with the Yanks, along with Coca Cola and VD.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

That's true, but they put on a Little Richard record. It just didn't quite work for me.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

I remember Brian Murphy's character singing Starman - the incongruity of the song was the whole point wasn't it?

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

Mike S wrote:I remember Brian Murphy's character singing Starman - the incongruity of the song was the whole point wasn't it?
I think the songs Arthur Capstick used to sing every week were inspired by what he and Mrs Merton had been talking about. She'd asked him to read her Husband's stars out to him from the paper, and, seeing as how Arthur was coming down with early Alzheimer's, in his befuddled mind, he remembered something to do with `stars' so sang `Starman'.

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

I always wondered why Judith Potts stood Malcolm up, on their date in ep 3, especially as she seemed to be a bit simple herself.

Dandy Forsdyke
405 lines

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'm uncomfortable by words such as 'retard'/ 'retarded' and 'simple'. Malcolm seems to have a learning disability and Arthur has clear signs of dementia.

But yes, I thought it was a great series. It had decent ratings back then (and excellent ratings by today's standards). There were plans for a second series and a Christmas special but the critics put them off - plus they were doing The Royle Family by then which was better received. I have the episodes on DVD along with her chat show.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Daspouter wrote:I always wondered why Judith Potts stood Malcolm up, on their date in ep 3, especially as she seemed to be a bit simple herself.
I think that was the bleak side of Mrs M and Malcolm, that their lives wouldn't really change and everything would stay the same.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

It seems a comeback was planned, but nothing ever came of it...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/oc ... ing.uknews

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

It shows what a great actress Caroline Aherne was, as she was utterly convincing as an old woman.