Sherlock Holmes

What's not currently on the box
Colin Cutler
405 lines

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Colin Cutler »

I've been meaning to do this for some time, but I'm trying to locate anything in the way of surviving photos from otherwise missing episodes of the 1968 Cushing series. This was prompted by re-reading the camera script to the lost episode 'Black Peter' recently and vaguely remembering a photo being published some years ago in what I recall being a nicely written volume on TV/cinema appearances (more of which below). In terms of what I've been able to find so far...well, tis a short list to date, but any pointers or guidance others may be able to give would be much appreciated!

To date:

- Radio Times publicity (including a healthy number of photos for the 1970 repeat season)
- B/w stills from The Dancing Men (1), The Greek Interpreter (1) and The Naval Treaty (1) in Cushing's memoirs 'Past Forgetting' (published 1988)
- Two b/w photos from 'Black Peter' included in the photo gallery of the Australian DVD release of the series.
- Unknown shot of Holmes/Watson closely inspecting a clock/barometer (this has been available online for several years - not sure which episode it hails from though)
- Colour shot (publicity I imagine) of Holmes/Watson available on the Cushing Appreciation Society / Black Box site (the site also features the same shot from The Dancing Men noted above)
- B/w still of Cushing, Watson and Inspector Hopkins from the 'Black Peter' episode - I'm pretty sure this was reproduced in either Alan Barnes' 'Sherlock Holmes on Screen' or David Stuart Davies' 'Starring Sherlock Holmes'. Can anyone confirm either way? (and whether the revised versions of the book still contain the photo). Thanks.

Any other help on tracing the sources of further photos (book/journal/magazine title or URL) gratefully received. Many thanks.

Regards
Colin

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I recently became aware of a new Russian Sherlock Holmes adaptation which was broadcast in 2012/3. It sounds interesting but I can't find any evidence of an English subbed release anywhere - though I'll keep looking. Dr. Watson is played by Andrey Panin, who I've seen in Brigada and who is quite impressive in that. I don't know Igor Petrenko, though, who plays Holmes.

IMDb info here.

Production company's English language page here.

Hate Putin. Love Russia.

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Richard A wrote:I recently became aware of a new Russian Sherlock Holmes adaptation which was broadcast in 2012/3. It sounds interesting but I can't find any evidence of an English subbed release anywhere - though I'll keep looking. Dr. Watson is played by Andrey Panin, who I've seen in Brigada and who is quite impressive in that. I don't know Igor Petrenko, though, who plays Holmes.

IMDb info here.

Production company's English language page here.

Hate Putin. Love Russia.
These appear to be on YouTube with English subtitles. Keep meaning to give them a look. I loved the 70s/80s Russian series. Even though I have them on DVD from Russia, I wish they'd get a wider DVD release over here, beyond the single release of 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' a couple of years back.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Thanks! Yes, I had a helpful hint to that effect over on Roobarb's as well. Rather stupidly, I was trying to be clever and searched with 'Шерлок Холмс' and 'Sherlok Kholms' (which is what I saw it referred to as when I first stumbled on it) - the obvious search argument of "Sherlock Holmes Russian series" had somehow escaped me!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Richard A wrote:Thanks! Yes, I had a helpful hint to that effect over on Roobarb's as well. Rather stupidly, I was trying to be clever and searched with 'Шерлок Холмс' and 'Sherlok Kholms' (which is what I saw it referred to as when I first stumbled on it) - the obvious search argument of "Sherlock Holmes Russian series" had somehow escaped me!
Or with the year. But yes, a fan seems to have made subtitles all by himself for all 8 stories . They look pretty decent, too! (The subs, I mean. I haven't watched much of the series yet.)
Now, if mr. Kholms could only solve the cases of the man who died after drinking tea, the murdered journalist, and the mysterious plane crash...
This is nøt å signåture.™

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Didn't their Watson unfortunately die in 2013, shortly after making the series?

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

The 1980 series made in Poland: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson starring Geoffrey Whitehouse and Donald Pickering is being released on DVD in Germany February 2017, with the original English audio as well as dubbed German.

http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?page=a ... Nr=6417204

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

stuartfanning wrote:The 1980 series made in Poland: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson starring Geoffrey Whitehouse and Donald Pickering is being released on DVD in Germany February 2017, with the original English audio as well as dubbed German.

Ah, good. I've seen a few episodes and while I wasn't massively impressed with some aspects, I really did like Whitehead's Holmes, and I look forward to giving the series a proper chance and view it in better quality than the grotty copies I saw.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

stuartfanning wrote:The 1980 series made in Poland: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson starring Geoffrey Whitehouse and Donald Pickering is being released on DVD in Germany February 2017, with the original English audio as well as dubbed German.

There's now a review available for this set on Amazon.de, complete with screengrabs.

Here's a rough summary translation of the salient points:
  • The reviewer received a press copy on 30th Jan.
  • The German and English soundtrack in Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono is good.
  • The 4:3 picture quality of this 38 year old series is, unfortunately, not that good. The image is somewhat noisy (see attached screencaps) and also suffers from flashes and tramlines (though 'Störstreifen' could also be VT artefacts - tr. note), so 1 star deducted.
  • Regarding the episode ordering: The episode showing the first meeting between Holmes and Watson has always been transmitted as episode 11 whenever the series has been broadcast in Germany (Eh? Why? - tr. note). Similarly, the other episodes are not in the order that they were broadcast on German TV. The reviewer has not been able to track down any information about the actual production order but can say that the true first episode (i.e. the first meeting between Holmes and Watson) is now in its rightful place as the first on the set and it's a good guess that Fernsehjuwelen have followed the episode production order on the discs.
  • So, whoever has been looking forward to this series should at least be aware that the PQ could be better and consider that before buying it.
Me again: I don't suppose we'll ever see another release of this so I'm sorely tempted nevertheless.

(PS: I see our own Mr. Fanning has already read the review!)

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

Yes I read the review. My set is in transit from Germany. Even if there are further releases I doubt if we will ever get remastered video.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I found a few other items on my Amazon.de wishlist to help 'amortise' the postage cost to the UK so I've just popped in an order. I'm fairly confident that it won't look that bad in motion. 'Noisy' transfers tend to look worse in screengrabs than in video (or at least that's what I've persuaded myself to think).

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

Re: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson (Geoffrey Whitehead/Donald Pickering)

I have received the box set from Amazon Germany today. Checked on whether this release was encoded to Region 2 only. Nothing on any of the packaging to say so I emailed the German producer who advised that the DVD's are playable worldwide, providing the equipment can handle PAL.

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

The much maligned 1972 American TV movie of Sherlock Holmes: Hound of the Baskervilles, starring Stewart Granger as Holmes and Bernard Fox as Watson, has been released in Germany on DVD with the original English audio included.

https://www.pidax-film.de/Film-Klassike ... :1350.html

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

It's just been announced that four clips have been found from missing Cushing episodes. Each about a minute long.

Sherlock Holmes 18.11.1968 Black Peter (missing)
Sherlock Holmes 09.09.1968 The Second Stain (missing)
Sherlock Holmes 28.10.1968 The Naval Treaty (missing)
Sherlock Holmes 23.09.1968 The Dancing Men (missing)

Found in Flemish Belgium as part of a weekly preview of upcoming programs.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Shame these didn't turn up before the DVD releases BITD. Are they dubbed or subtitled? The screen-grab suggests b/w.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:Shame these didn't turn up before the DVD releases BITD. Are they dubbed or subtitled? The screen-grab suggests b/w.
B/W subtitled:

I wouldn't rule out a recovery one day. They were shown in many countries!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:25 pm

I wouldn't rule out a recovery one day. They were shown in many countries!
Just read that Australia wasn't one of them, so presumably NZ didn't show it either.

Odd they didn't take them, apparently the Wilmer ones were though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Yes, I definitely would have expected them there too.

Two Wilmers are still half-missing, of course.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I've noticed the versions of Brett shown on ITV Hub are not the dvd versions but the HD rescans, although ITV Hub is limited to 540p resolution (but they still look better than the dvds). On Britbox US they are in 720p but ruined by noise reduction. The blurays are HD of course but they slowed them down to 24fps, ruing all the music cues and making the voices sound strange.

It'd be nice if there were a reasonable priced UK bluray set at the correct framerate. I'd buy that in a second.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:02 pm

There's a complete soundtrack to one of them, although you probably know that already.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:

There's a complete soundtrack to one of them, although you probably know that already.
Out on DVD, too, although you probably knew that already too.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:53 pm
Mark wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:

Out on DVD, too, although you probably knew that already too.
Yes, indeed, in fact I still have the VHS of two episodes as well.!