Columbo Japanese Bluray Collection

What's not currently on the box
deltavega
405 lines

Columbo Japanese Bluray Collection

Post by deltavega »

Finally got this today from Amazon Japan having stumped up a £51 customs charge to DHL , but last weekend the online price dropped to £243 delivered so I finally went for it , having seen it hovering between £300 and £400+ ever since it came out. Prices via ebay sellers of all countries were and remain way over the top.
The price has been fluctuating again and it has been at the price I paid earlier in the week again so snap it up.
It's a thing of beauty - such a shame the thick book that seems to be a script aswell as the luxurious episode guide are in Japanese.

But it delivers where it counts . Picture quality is superb on the few 70's episodes I've looked at . The Mystery Movie sequence is missing on the episodes as usual although it is a bonus feature and it's present on the original directors version of Etude In Black which I don't think was included on UK dvd's at all . They stick with the padded version that found its way into syndication and prevails to this day.

Not been through all the discs so don't know if the revival episodes are 16:9 yet but from what I've seen this is a must buy for Columbo fans . It's been out since 2011 in Japan so no reason to hold back waiting for a UK or US set .
Jap subtitles are removeable and the set is region free like 99% of all Universal Blurays.

deltavega
405 lines

Re: Columbo Japanese Bluray Collection

Post by deltavega »

Revival movies are all 16:9. Quick browse shows that the early ones really were not shot with widescreen in mind but they just about get away with it .
Murder Smoke and Shadows comes with an isolated music and effects track - I think its the only modern one with that feature.
But quite a few of the 70's episodes include one and in a nice little touch there is also the option to choose to view the music track only for the scenes where there is music - so instead of sitting through 90 minutes with a lot of silence or just effects you have a programme of anything between 13 and 37 minutes purely of scenes with music.
The music tracks are on several including the tv movie Prescription Murder , the series pilot Ransom for a Deadman , both versions of Etude in Black and the final episode The Conspirators where the music track also includes Clive Revills vocals.
As far as I can tell there are no other bonus features although all episodes seem to include English subtitles

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

About $335 plus shipping in US dollars.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

videoking wrote:About $335 plus shipping in US dollars.
It's currently the cheapest I've ever seen it .
US ebay sellers ask well over $600.
When I was looking for a review before I purchased I found a forum with someone who had been given it as a present but wanted to sell it . They wanted £410 . A couple of months later they dropped it to £330 .
So the current price is pretty good.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

Looks like an episode of Columbo is coming out on Bluray in Germany. Unfortunately it's only one episode - By Dawns Early Light . The military one with Patrick McGhooan.
Not very clear at the moment but the Koch media site seems to indicate it will retain it's correct 4:3 ratio.