Time Tunnel on Bluray ?

What's not currently on the box
deltavega
405 lines

Time Tunnel on Bluray ?

Post by deltavega »

Reading about this so I emailed Revelation . First of all it was good news that the edits would not be part of the Bluray but then they dropped a bombshell .
This was part of the email reply :

"It is worth mentioning to you, I think, that we don't have access to the original film masters so we are unable to create HD transfers (getting these out of Fox would be a miracle). We will be upscaling from the original SD masters for this."

So it sounds like this is Life On Mars all over again so if you already have the show on dvd , it won't really be worth buying the Bluray as they won't be genuine HD

deltavega
405 lines

Re: Time Tunnel on Bluray ?

Post by deltavega »

And it's been clarified by Revelation - the episodes on the Bluray release will not be HD which begs the question : What' the point ?
Nice of them to be upfront about it but it does mean I won't be buying it .

Mark C Bale
405 lines

Post by Mark C Bale »

I don't suppose there's any chance of a better release of the LOST IN SPACE seasons from them

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

I expect Revelation may be able to get the rights to LIS as it's doubtful Fox have any interest in a Bluray release but if they don't get HD masters there is not much point .
While other countries like Germany have released tv shows to Bluray in SD I was hoping that Life On Mars would remain the only UK title to do it as it's already difficult enough to convince non believers about the benefits of Bluray so releases like this can only hurt the format when the unsuspecting buyer gets it home and wonders what all the fuss is about HD.

I should clarify that Revelation also said :

"We have just started planning so more information will come to light as the project progresses"

So maybe there is enough time to make noises about asking them to either get the HD masters or it's not really worth the bother

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

deltavega wrote:Reading about this so I emailed Revelation . First of all it was good news that the edits would not be part of the Bluray but then they dropped a bombshell .
This was part of the email reply :

"It is worth mentioning to you, I think, that we don't have access to the original film masters so we are unable to create HD transfers (getting these out of Fox would be a miracle). We will be upscaling from the original SD masters for this."

So it sounds like this is Life On Mars all over again so if you already have the show on dvd , it won't really be worth buying the Bluray as they won't be genuine HD

Where did you read about this?

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

As you can see from my post - the information was supplied by Revelation themselves in response to my email

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It won't be worth buying the Bluray if you've already got the DVD. Given the choice you would hardly buy it on DVD if you were a first-time buyer.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

Obviously thousands have bought the dvd because there is no choice yet .
If you mean - a first time buyer won't buy the dvd once the Bluray is out - who said they would ?

Having said that - there are plenty out there who would buy the dvd and not the Bluray if the dvd was cheaper.
Not everyone is prepared to pay for quality hence why dvd sales still dwarf Bluray.

My point is that if you already have the dvd there's no point buying the Bluray if it's not genuine HD.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Sorry, I'm not very good with words. I was commenting on this remark:-

"So maybe there is enough time to make noises about asking them to either get the HD masters or it's not really worth the bother"

I'm on Bluray now, having paid the money. OK, the new machine still plays my existing DVDs, but I don't really want to buy new ones, if I can avoid it. Bluray is better, HD or not.

Years ago, my Connoisseur turntable could play 78s, as well as the new microgroove records; but I didn't object to Glenn Miller being issued on LP because the original recordings weren't 'HiFi'. LP was better, even on archive material, because it introduced fewer format-based artefacts. The same applies to DVD; it was good enough, but now we can do better.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

We can do better certainly. It doesn't always mean it is better and for practical purposes I'm unconvinced that people could care less for all the difference it makes.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

brigham wrote: Bluray is better, HD or not
OK SD material can be better presented on BD (pre-upscaling from the master rather than home upscaling from compressed material, 264 is a better encode, and larger files) but I think for 99% of people the difference will never ever justify double-dipping, and almost as rarely would it justify the extra cost over a normal DVD presentation.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

brigham wrote:Sorry, I'm not very good with words..
I agree.

I don't think you'll find many interested in buying a Bluray that's not HD just because it can offer a higher bitrate .
If a dvd is done well in the first place a Bluray won't offer enough improvement from an SD source to make it worth buying IF you already have the dvd's - and in most cases even if you don't

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

If it's not true HD then it's just another way to try and get unsuspecting fans to part with their cash.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Maybe we'll get lucky and Revelation will end up striking a deal with Fox for the HD masters.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

videoking wrote:If it's not true HD then it's just another way to try and get unsuspecting fans to part with their cash.
Or even ones that are not "unsuspecting" like Brigham

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

videoking wrote:Maybe we'll get lucky and Revelation will end up striking a deal with Fox for the HD masters.
That's what I'm hoping .
After a few more emails the guy at Revelation left me with the impression that was something they may be looking into. I think he was surprised at the feedback they've been getting

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

deltavega wrote:
brigham wrote:Sorry, I'm not very good with words..
I agree.
Don't forget, I didn't have today's high standard of comprehensive secondary education, with its major emphasis on classical literature and creative writing. We didn't have lots of GCSEs, just an occasional 'O'-level in some useless subject like English or Physics, if you could be bothered to turn up.
I do my best. It may not be good enough by current standards, but it's all I have.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

This is what it says on Amazon's site about the set:

A 1080 HD 1:33:1 spec. digitally enhanced to significantly improve the picture quality & increase depth of field, making it far superior to the existing DVD.

I'm assuming that the "digitally enhanced" part is where the up conversion comes into play and they are just rewording it to try and convince buyers that it's a good thing to buy even though it's not true HD.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

As the depth of field is decided by the camera lens (absolute aperture that is diameter in mm not F of T stop) I can't say I believe a word of that marketing guff.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Just another twist on words to fraudulantely get the fans to shell out more money once again.