Lord Brett
405 lines

Archive TV on BBC 2 Daytime?

Post by Lord Brett »

ian b
D-MAC

Re: Archive TV on BBC 2 Daytime?

Post by ian b »

Probably nothing that hasn't already been cleared for commercial release in the past, or already exists on a modern transmission format.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

It says they plan to show b&w stuff, presumably among other things, which could prove useful for those of us who haven't bought hundreds of DVD sets. And as it'll be on a BBC channel there'll be no ads necessitating cuts to the shows to fit them into schedules, like on ITV3 and 4 and yesterday, much as I enjoy some of the repeated old shows on those.

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

Certainly an encouraging development, particularly considering the wasteland that daytime TV is currently.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

I'm sceptical. There have been other promises to "unlock the archive" which came to nothing. Remember the daytime "Poldark" repeats, where were supposed to herald a new awareness of the treasures held in the BBC FVTL? The cost soon quashed that initiative. Over a decade ago BBC Two planned a late night weekly archive slot, provisionally titled "The Vault". That project was supposed to be the start of a regular weekly strand which would include material other than the regular diet of "Dad's Army", "Steptoe & Son", "Fawlty Towers" and "Only Fools & Horses". It came to naught. I still have correspondence I kept from the producer of that strand and she was keen to show things like "The "Expert" and "All Gas & Gaiters" but cost was a barrier.

That's not to say my fingers aren't firmly crossed...
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

westward
405 lines

Post by westward »

Alan Hayes wrote:Certainly an encouraging development, particularly considering the wasteland that daytime TV is currently.
I agree. For some time I have said in conversations with friends that there has to be a 'market' for this sort of repeat schedule - rather than create (in some cases) trash to fill the broadcasting hours, why not have a nostalgia slot filled with something from the extensive archives. ITV could also benefit from this sort of initiative, despite having some great archive shows on ITV3/4 they could easily feature some of the greats of the last 50 years during the afternoons. Even a Classic Coronation Street re-run would be considerably better than some of their afternoon out put IMHO.

I hope this is successful for BBC2 and will be watching with interest

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Definitely a nice piece of news and also delighted there are to be more new daytime drama serials, as Land Girls and Moving On were splendid.

The problem with archive repeats is the lack of faith they have in showing something people don't already know. I mean how lovely would it be to have some Thirty Minute Theatres shoved in or something? The solution would be to do a slot called Archive Drama or Archive Hour and then that would give people a lead in. Bet they wont though.

Westcountry
405 lines

Post by Westcountry »

Simon36 wrote:Definitely a nice piece of news and also delighted there are to be more new daytime drama serials, as Land Girls and Moving On were splendid.
The problem with archive repeats is the lack of faith they have in showing something people don't already know. I mean how lovely would it be to have some Thirty Minute Theatres shoved in or something? The solution would be to do a slot called Archive Drama or Archive Hour and then that would give people a lead in. Bet they wont though.
You'd think that with the success of shows like The Indian Doctor and Call The Midwife that something like The District Nurse or even Doctor Finlay's Casebook would be a good targets for this slot. Would likely appeal to the same audience.