PR: The Kids from 47A: The Complete Series 1 [Network]

What's not currently on the box
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: The Kids from 47A: The Complete Series 1 [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Leave a family of children aged between eight and 16 to run a flat on their own, and what happens? Can they cope without adult assistance? Should they be left to muddle through alone, or would they be happier and safer in the care of the local authority?

Just how the Gathercole family – Jess (at 16 the matriarch), Binny (14), Willy (12) and George (9) – manages to survive in such circumstances is the premise of this major children’s series broadcast in the early 1970s. Starting from the time their widowed mother is suddenly taken into hospital and later, after her death, The Kids from 47A chronicles four very different siblings overcoming a multitude of problems and misfortunes – sometimes dramatic, sometimes full of humour.

The Kids from 47A was the brainchild of Black Beauty actress Charlotte Mitchell, and its high-calibre writing team include Brookside and Hollyoaks creator Phil Redmond, novelist Lynda La Plante and noted screenwriter John Kane.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
[] Image Gallery
[] Promotional Material PDF

http://networkonair.com/shop/1791-kids- ... ies-1.html

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Thwaity
405 lines

Re: PR: The Kids from 47A: The Complete Series 1 [Network]

Post by Thwaity »

Absolutely fantastic news!

I know Network have been trying to get this out for a little while, so to see a release date for it is brilliant!

Aren't they just bloomin great!

Steve

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

This has been on my wanted list for years!

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

This leaves only (apart from Series 2 & 3 of this) the series Striker on my wanted list. Can't see it happening though unless Network suddenly start releasing all the old BBC stuff as well.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

Been waiting years to see more of this series. Nice one Network!

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Brilliant! Series three got a bit silly and slapstick but series 1 & 2 were the bollocks.
Whatever happened to Christine McKenna? She seemed set fair for mega-stardom after Flambards but then nothing. Maybe she didn't want it. She must have had other offers.
Gaynor Hodgson was memorable as Binny as well and she doesn't seem to have done any thesping at all after this. Most strange.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Never heard of this but a quick google has piqued my interest. How would those who have seen it describe the tone/style of this show?

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

wittoner wrote: Gaynor Hodgson was memorable as Binny as well and she doesn't seem to have done any thesping at all after this. Most strange.
Before this, she was the Becky in my holy grail of releases, A Little Princess from 1973...

I also wish either the BBC or Network would release more archive stuff...the Secret Garden release was lovely (I've just been rewatching...really rather good...)

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

A fondly remembered series - my appetite was further wetted by the opening episode included in the "Look back at 70's Tv compilation a couple of years back.

A must buy for me!

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

I just hope this isn't going to end up in "right's hell" and get pushed back like General Hospital has!

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

I didn't realise that there was a rights issue with General Hospital.

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

VintageFan wrote:I didn't realise that there was a rights issue with General Hospital.
Something is holding back the release of the 2nd volume, was supposed to come out in May.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

lovecraft wrote:Never heard of this but a quick google has piqued my interest. How would those who have seen it describe the tone/style of this show?
First of all it is a kid's show from the days when children had about 90 minutes of television (about 4pm to about 5.30pm)
made especially for them without being talked down to.

The premise is that the family's Mother is taken into hospital and the 'kids' don't want to be separated or taken into care,so the plot and humour is around how the kids fool the authorities etc that everything is as it was at 47A,Christine McKenna's character takes over the matriarchal role and is the sweet, lovely big sister you wish you had.
I don't know how it stands up today,but I suspect it retains its morally upbeat and fun stance?

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

Well fortunately it made it - finally released last week

David Savage
405 lines

Post by David Savage »

I'm finding this one of the most enjoyable of the Network '70s ITV kids' show releases so far. The cast are all naturally funny, and Joan Newell is especially good as the insufferable Miss East, whom Jess has to share an office with.

There are some surprising little comic moments.

Here are young Willy and George trying to place an ad for a cleaner in the newsagent's:

NEWSAGENT: I don't know about this. 'Young lady wanted.' Doesn't sound quite proper. I don't want the police coming round here, accusing me of white slavery.
WILLY: Look, all we want is a young lady to come round and clean our flat. (DREAMILY) Preferably Swedish.
NEWSAGENT: Then why not put 'Cleaner Wanted?
WILLY: Oh no! We might get some awful old hag of a charwoman like that Mrs. Ripper who goes round next door.
NEWSAGENT: Mrs. Ripper, young man, is my good lady. To be frank, my wife.
WILLY: Oh, I'm terribly sorry ...
NEWSAGENT: (THOUGHTFULLY) No, no. You're quite right. She is an awful old hag. I've never thought of that before. She really is terrible. (Gives GEORGE SOME LIQUORICE ALLSORTS ON THE HOUSE) You've been a great help. You've helped me see her in a new light. I always looked at her as the ravishing young bride I married 37 years ago. But she's not. Oh no. She's awful. Maude, come downstairs!

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Any news of Series Two?