News Flash

What's not currently on the box
Cooper S
405 lines

Re: News Flash

Post by Cooper S »

Ross wrote:
ian b wrote:Was there a CLAPPERBOARD on 12th December 1977? If there was, then ITV either interrupted it, or bookended it at top or boittom, with a newsflash of her death.
Whose death?
Lady Clementine Churchill's ?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Brock wrote:You're not confusing it with the Thatcher resignation, are you? That was announced on Radio 4 at 9.45am after "Punters", as I recall. The Major "resignation" was definitely in the afternoon, as others have mentioned.
Actually, you are probably right - I am confusing the two resignations. For some reason I recalled it was a Thursday, so checked that bit and it was for Major's. Unfortunately, so was Thatcher's! But one while I was a work, t'other when at home.

As amends - I'll throw the IRA attack on Downing Street into the ring, (also a Thursday), along with the death of John Smith. I wonder of Gaitskell's death received such saturation coverage?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Cooper S wrote:
Ross wrote:
ian b wrote:Was there a CLAPPERBOARD on 12th December 1977? If there was, then ITV either interrupted it, or bookended it at top or boittom, with a newsflash of her death.
Whose death?
Lady Clementine Churchill's ?
Yeah - original post amended.

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

Simon36 wrote:Did ITV ever show Towering Inferno? BBC1 showed it in 82/83 and I thought that was their second screening of it.

As for the Cannon and Ball thing, I bet they were furious! Imagine a comedy show having an aston up saying a major news report will follow. You'd be panicking it was nuclear war or something. That would definitely take the edge off "rock on Tommy!"

I remember ITV's Monday night screening of Live and Let Die in June 1982 having a Newsflash in one of the intervals, and me worrying the pause would conk out as it went on for ages! It just made it though. And also, this may be the memory cheating, but I am sure the Iranian Embassy siege footage was late afternoon and not evening. And also agin I may be misremembering but I think the arrest of the Yorkshire Ripper was announced during an interval on ITV.
It was after 7pm.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Ross wrote: I remember the storming of the Iranian embassy. I was about nine at the time but I seem to recall that it was snooker that had been interrupted
In that case you were watching BBC-2, which was showing the final of the Embassy World Professional championship from the Crucible.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Although we would have to ask whose death would merit a newsflash thses days, it seems that even in the past the criteria seemed somewhat esoteric.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

GarethR wrote:
Ross wrote: I remember the storming of the Iranian embassy. I was about nine at the time but I seem to recall that it was snooker that had been interrupted
In that case you were watching BBC-2, which was showing the final of the Embassy World Professional championship from the Crucible.
Which led to the famous graffito:

"The SAS smoke more Embassies than Hurricane Higgins"

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Jezza wrote:When Princess Diana died, i think nearly most of the channels on Sky had a caption telling viewers to tune into a news channel for some important news.
I was watching Warren Beatty's Reds on BBC2 on a Sat night/Sun morning when a newsflash came up urging us to turn over to BBC1 for an important newsflash. Turned out to be Princess Diana being severely injured in a car crash in Paris.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

I was working in NC1 at the BBC one Saturday night when there was a requirement for a News Report (we didn't call them News Flashes - that was a bit common!) I've racked my brains but can't recall what was so important that a live programme had to be interrupted. I thought it had something to do with the Iranian Embassy Siege, but I watched that at the home of a pal (Mike Turner, a Network Director) in Chiswick, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, Val Doonican was warbling away on BBC One, live from the Television Theatre, when we were told to hand to the Newsroom for a News Report. Val's producer/director Yvonne Littlewood was asked to wrap him at the end of his song and hand to Network. She refused and there was a lively discussion between the Network Director and Ms Littlewood. The result was that Val D was gently faded to black in mid-ditty and the News Report went on air. Yvonne L was furious but the Pres Editor backed our ND to the hilt. We were all a bit gobsmacked that YL said "No", considering the gravity of the Report but perhaps VD wasn't on talkback and there was no way of speaking to him without a floor manager walking into vision.

I recall the altercation between Yvonne Littlewood and the Network Director as being much more entertaining than the actual News Report!
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

ian b wrote:As amends - I'll throw the IRA attack on Downing Street into the ring, (also a Thursday), along with the death of John Smith. I wonder of Gaitskell's death received such saturation coverage?
We've mentioned Gaitskill's death on this forum before because it actually happened while the BBC News was on air, with Robert Dougall presenting. In his book he says that they were just about to go on air, with the top story being that Gaitskill was still ill, when someone on the floor announced he was dead and someone flung an obit on the desk, but they didn't have any kind of confirmation or anything and the obit was a yellowing scrap of paper clearly written ages ago, so at the start of the news Dougall read the original story and went into the report, and then when it ended, he said, "And since we've come on air, news has reached us that Gaitskill has died".

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

ctraynor wrote: I was watching Warren Beatty's Reds on BBC2 on a Sat night/Sun morning when a newsflash came up urging us to turn over to BBC1 for an important newsflash. Turned out to be Princess Diana being severely injured in a car crash in Paris.
I woke up that morning in a B&B in Scotland, and I put the TV on while I was still sort-of half asleep. It was some people doing Serious Talk, which seemed odd because I was expecting Teletubbies, but I just lay there not really taking in what they were saying. It was some time before I realised what was going on, at which point I went from half-asleep to fully awake in an instant.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

GarethR wrote:I woke up that morning in a B&B in Scotland, and I put the TV on while I was still sort-of half asleep. It was some people doing Serious Talk, which seemed odd because I was expecting Teletubbies, but I just lay there not really taking in what they were saying. It was some time before I realised what was going on, at which point I went from half-asleep to fully awake in an instant.
That seems to be the case for everyone, I certainly remember getting up and flicking on the telly to check the headlines on Ceefax, and reading them about three or four times before I realised what they were actually saying. Of course Martyn Lewis was called in from home to do newsflashes on BBC1 that night, he was the newsreader on standby that weekend in case of breaking news, and he interruped the film Barquero twice, then went home, then was called straight back to do rolling news.

The start of ITV's coverage is on YouTube of course, when it interrupts The Chart Show which is showing the video for Bingo by Catch. More people have probably heard that song in that clip than they ever did when it was a hit. The Diana period was so memorable for me because it was just before I went to university and I was fascinated by the coverage, if only because I assumed after that I'd never have the time or inclination to study telly in such great depth again. Of course, when I got to university, I ended up watching more telly than I've ever done before or since.

Still got the "6am Shock Issue" of the News of the World somewhere - the only paper that managed to cover it, I think, with three pages of reports. And the following week with that classic back page headline "INCE: WE'LL WIN WORLD CUP FOR DIANA".

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

I recall the Elvis death vividly - I was duty announcer at STV - the news came in towards the end of News at Ten, but was unconfirmed. Reggie Bosanquet read an item that said 'uncomfirmed reports say Elvis has died' and then signed off with the memorable phrase 'but we hope he hasn't'..... then we had a commercial break and while that was on the red phone rang, and we had to go straight back to ITN at the end of the break for Reggie to appear and sombrely announce the confirmation that Elvis was, indeed, dead.

In those days there was a standing instruction that if ITN wanted to do a Newsflash at the start of the day, they would call it over the red phone and the duty announcer would scribble it down on something (often, it must be said, the margins of the TV Times) and read it over an ITN slide straight after the startup music. I had to announce the death of Mao Tse Tung. There was a slide box kept in Master Control with pictures of leading world figures, in case we had to announce their passing. Unfortunately the slide of Mao had a massive crack in the glass, and I recall frantically trying to remount it by taking apart a 'Look In' slide first thing in the morning before the flash.

Princess Diana died on the morning of my first shift at the BBC. It was a strange shift.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Steve Williams wrote:Still got the "6am Shock Issue" of the News of the World somewhere - the only paper that managed to cover it, I think, with three pages of reports.
I think all the papers, at least in London, managed a new front page. I was working overnight in a newsagents/convenience store that night and they only just turned up by the time I went home - which led to an interesting conversation with the person taking over from me who had a CD on in the car so hadn't heard the news.

As Private Eye noted at the time this meant that some papers had news of her death on the front and suddenly very inappropriate opinion pieces inside

Between Channels
405 lines

Post by Between Channels »

Was the first report of the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster announced at the end of Knight Rider? And a little more recently, the Queen Mother's passing rudely interrupted Auntie's Bloomers.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Scary wrote:
Steve Williams wrote:Still got the "6am Shock Issue" of the News of the World somewhere - the only paper that managed to cover it, I think, with three pages of reports.
I think all the papers, at least in London, managed a new front page. I was working overnight in a newsagents/convenience store that night and they only just turned up by the time I went home - which led to an interesting conversation with the person taking over from me who had a CD on in the car so hadn't heard the news.

As Private Eye noted at the time this meant that some papers had news of her death on the front and suddenly very inappropriate opinion pieces inside
Most papers did, but Tony Livesey remains proud of the fact that alongside the somber Diana headlines the Sport had "my eight stone boobs weigh more than Kylie."

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Scary wrote: As Private Eye noted at the time this meant that some papers had news of her death on the front and suddenly very inappropriate opinion pieces inside
I recall quite vividly that the edition of Radio 4's News Quiz broadcast on the Saturday lunchtime just before Diana's death had about five minutes of extremely cruel jokes about her. It was due to be repeated on the Monday evening, and I never did find out what was broadcast instead. I wish I'd kept a recording of that edition as it's probably like gold-dust now.

Darren Fricker
405 lines

Post by Darren Fricker »

Brock wrote:
Scary wrote: As Private Eye noted at the time this meant that some papers had news of her death on the front and suddenly very inappropriate opinion pieces inside
I recall quite vividly that the edition of Radio 4's News Quiz broadcast on the Saturday lunchtime just before Diana's death had about five minutes of extremely cruel jokes about her. It was due to be repeated on the Monday evening, and I never did find out what was broadcast instead. I wish I'd kept a recording of that edition as it's probably like gold-dust now.
Brock - check your PMs.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

I guess now we know what "news" TV schedules get dumped for these days....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:I guess now we know what "news" TV schedules get dumped for these days....
I am sure it would have been (was) dumped for similar events in the past...

But was the programme interrupted to provide the news? Or was it a news flash between programmes ??

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Jezza wrote:When Princess Diana died, i think nearly most of the channels on Sky had a caption telling viewers to tune into a news channel for some important news.
That happened in the early hours of a Sunday morning, I recall, as I was up late in my lounge working on something, with the telly on but sound right down when a picture of a car in a tunnel stayed on. I flicked through the cable channels I had to find something else and a growing number of them had this same picture. I can't recall if there was a caption or not but it was at this point I turned the sound up and heard Princess Diana had been badly injured in a car crash. I don't think her death was reported until about 5am-5.30am because I recall being in shock for some time, and not being able to talk to anyone until I could call my parents at about 6.30am (when i knew they would be up) to tell them. I went out after that to get papers, and most still had the 'injured' headline as the papers had gone to press for the crash story, before she died, but a few late editions had managed to get out by 7.30am-8am.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the earliest that the Kennedy assassination was reported on BBC or ITV back in November 1963? And how? Would there have been a news flash back then, or would it have waited until the 9pm or 10pm news?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Shaqui wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know the earliest that the Kennedy assassination was reported on BBC or ITV back in November 1963? And how? Would there have been a news flash back then, or would it have waited until the 9pm or 10pm news?
A friend's Dad worked for a news agency and told me once that the news was actually scooped by a children's programme, I think on Granada, not on the network. He did send an answer in to the question column in the Daily Mail on this very point when someone asked it some years later too. Sorry I cant remember the specifics though!

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Simon36 wrote:
Shaqui wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know the earliest that the Kennedy assassination was reported on BBC or ITV back in November 1963? And how? Would there have been a news flash back then, or would it have waited until the 9pm or 10pm news?
A friend's Dad worked for a news agency and told me once that the news was actually scooped by a children's programme, I think on Granada, not on the network. He did send an answer in to the question column in the Daily Mail on this very point when someone asked it some years later too. Sorry I cant remember the specifics though!
According to Wikipedia (not always the most accurate of sources, admittedly) the assassination happened at 6.30pm UK time, so I'm wondering which children's programme could have been shown that late, when most would have ended with the children's TV slots around 5.30pm?

Xrds1895
405 lines

Post by Xrds1895 »

Shaqui wrote:
At L!VE TV we had a strap line (the "f***ing infostrap!" as the thing was known) reporting the news but programming continued almost as normal. The problems were;
1. Repeats of the soap "Canary Wharf" were carrying a Di related storyline.
2. "Agony" was about to start 'Royal Week' and would be starting with a Carry-On style piss take with two actors portraying Dodi and Di (their problems then being discussed in studio by two columnists).*
3. We couldn't get the footage from Paris (I can't remember why now but I suspect nobody was prepared to pay).
4. Nobody knew whether we should have News Bunny in the back of shot when reporting the events. (to not feature NB on the news was the cardinal sin...but so was using him inappropriately. You couldn't win!)
5. Repeats of "Royal Topless Darts" with a Di and Fergie lookalike were due to begin on Monday.

So we brought out Janet's f***ing info strap and ran the message that "Princess Diana has died in a car accident in Paris" but did not advise anyone to switch channels. Like L!VE could afford to lose any of the six people watching!
Tastefully, within 12 hours of her death, it had already been decided that L!VE would make a feature film called "Diana:A Tribute to the People's Princess". It was, and shall remain, the worst two hours ever filmed in the history of mankind.

*We cancelled Royal Agony and it was never shown and this was used as a reason not to pay any of the freelancers for their work on it!

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

It still gets me when i see Martin Lewis chocking with emotion when he read the tribute from Tony Blair about Diana.

With the long wait for the birth of the royal baby yesterday, Simon McCoy was on top form...

"Plenty more to come from here...none of it news!"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

'News Bunny'. I suppose it's no different from 'Foreign Page Dog' or 'Home Page Cat', but somehow to me it just sums up to-day's attitude to News coverage. "It's Nine-O'-Clock, and time for (fanfare) 'The News Show', and here's your host, Alvarrrr ..."

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Shaqui wrote:
Simon36 wrote:
According to Wikipedia (not always the most accurate of sources, admittedly) the assassination happened at 6.30pm UK time, so I'm wondering which children's programme could have been shown that late, when most would have ended with the children's TV slots around 5.30pm?
Well. I remember that my dad had gone out to a whist drive at the my primary school by the time we saw the news on TV and I went over to tell him. I lived next door but one to the school so I assume it was around 7pm or just after.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Shaqui wrote:
Simon36 wrote:
I'm not sure where the kid's TV thing originates, but it's often repeated that Granada broke the story in the UK. At 6.30 all the ITV companies would have been airing their local news programmes but at the same time, many of the various ITV and BBC company bigwigs were at, or were getting ready for, the Society of Film and Television Arts annual awards ceremony/dinner being held at the Dorchester that evening.

In his book, "Persona Granada", Denis Forman mentions that the first news came through as a report that CBS in America were running the "Kennedy assassination" story rather than directly through any news organisation. Forman recalls contacting ITN who refused to do anything without more "evidence" and so Granada ran with the story first, albeit using a "it's being reported in America that..." line. None of this explains why the BBC, Rediffusion or ATV or any of the smaller ITV companies were not similarly quicker off the mark than ITN, of course.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

brigham wrote:'News Bunny'. I suppose it's no different from 'Foreign Page Dog' or 'Home Page Cat', but somehow to me it just sums up to-day's attitude to News coverage. "It's Nine-O'-Clock, and time for (fanfare) 'The News Show', and here's your host, Alvarrrr ..."
Erm... but it's not *actually* like that, is it? And the News Bunny is ancient history now, it's nothing remotely contemporary.

For me, what sums up today's attitude to news are live reports from locations where nothing is actually happening, just because it's so easy to do now, and Charlie Brooker's forensic dissection of the formula of the modern pre-rec news package. Neither of those things mean that news is somehow inherently less serious now than it used to be.