News Flash

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Re: News Flash

Post by Simon36 »

Ah this makes sense. Maybe I've imagined the kid's tv thing and he was just saying how it was a regional programme that broke it.

I seem to recall Terry Wogan saying he was hosting a game show live in Ireland when the news came in.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

GarethR wrote:Neither of those things mean that news is somehow inherently less serious now than it used to be.
That's true. There's still a lot of good journalism about, and there's certainly always been fluff. I was very amused just now though, having caught a few moments of the new prince leaving hospital. The BBC announcer was excitedly talking about the first pictures of the new baby, and the child itself was completely obscured by a huge, red "Live" banner. Excellent journalism there, and excellent use of onscreen graphics. ;)

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

Well, you can add the Mandela death to the list.
BBC interrupting Mrs Brown's Boys around 9.50pm to go to Zuma's press conference.

Gallunach
405 lines

Post by Gallunach »

They put a banner up on BBC2 saying "Breaking News on BBC One" .

Anyone now why there was no mention of what the story was ?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

When Nelson Mandela died, I wanted to find out about the East Anglia floods and the Chancellors Autumn Statement, but all I got was hours and hours of NM. I know he was an important person etc etc, but other things happen around the world in addition to a 95 year old man dying. Turned on the tv this morning - same thing. The waters could even now be approaching Woking for all I know.

B

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

Just been listening to the news on R5live.... "And in Sports News, David Beckham former England captain gave his condolences to Nelson Mandela...etc...etc Sepp Blatter said he was inspired etc...etc... Mid-fielder <unknown person> said he found Nelson Mandela to be...... In other sports news the second day of the Ashes started with a one minute silence for Nelson Mandela...etc.."

....and on, and on.

He was undoubtedly a great man and statesman, but just listening to the news and reports over the past 24 hours, there seems to be too many talking heads who seeming to be feeding off his reflected glow.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Hear hear, it's always annoying when TV and Radio news go overboard on just one story. It's very seldom justified and certainly wasn't last night and this morning. Journalists disappearing up their own arses and losing their grip on what's important. I long for a news programme that totally ignores the story all the others are leading with. I watched ITV last night as their editorial balance isn't usually so distorted as the Beebs on such "major" occasions. I was disappointed. It really is a question of the production serving itself rather than the viewer. Journos wanking off over "breaking news" whilst any intelligent viewer is left thinking "Well? Didn't anything else happen today?"

RayB
405 lines

Post by RayB »

Gallunach wrote:They put a banner up on BBC2 saying "Breaking News on BBC One" .

Can't answer the question, but the banner was huge! It came on 3 times in about 4 minutes and stayed on for quite a while. I can't work out why BBC1 was interrupted, since DSO everyone has access to BBC News, isn't that where people should be directed to?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

BBC lunchtime news today, with the sound turned down...... At 1.20 "in other news, East Anglia has been washed away, and the pound has been devalued to 10p. Now back to our main story". Sound down again.

I fully expected the London local news to lead on NM, and was amazed when they didn't - after all, NM was in London once or twice. I pointed a camera at him in the British Museum.

B

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Bernie wrote: I fully expected the London local news to lead on NM, and was amazed when they didn't - after all, NM was in London once or twice. I pointed a camera at him in the British Museum.

B
BBC South did, he visited Oxford twice.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Bernie wrote: I fully expected the London local news to lead on NM, and was amazed when they didn't - after all, NM was in London once or twice. I pointed a camera at him in the British Museum.

B
BBC South did, he visited Oxford twice.
Midlands Today did...last night and today. Focussing on the fact that he visited Brum twenty years ago.....
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Bernie wrote:I fully expected the London local news to lead on NM, and was amazed when they didn't - after all, NM was in London once or twice. I pointed a camera at him in the British Museum.
Most of the BBC London news last night at 10:50 PM was devoted to Mandela having visited.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

David Boothroyd wrote:
Bernie wrote:I fully expected the London local news to lead on NM, and was amazed when they didn't - after all, NM was in London once or twice. I pointed a camera at him in the British Museum.
Most of the BBC London news last night at 10:50 PM was devoted to Mandela having visited.

And first half of 18:30

I once worked on the programme when the whole programme came from Brixton - 6 hours after NM had left

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

"Gong Live!" as Private Eye calls it.

I will never forget a live news broadcast a few years back where a towns water supply had been cut off due to flooding and the residents were queuing to get water from a bowser on the street. The TV news reporter described the situation and then walked across to a queue of ladies waiting by the bowser and asked "What are you queuing for here today ?" The angry response was "For water !! Can't you see ???"

Gallunach
405 lines

Post by Gallunach »

RayB wrote:
Gallunach wrote:They put a banner up on BBC2 saying "Breaking News on BBC One" .

Can't answer the question, but the banner was huge! It came on 3 times in about 4 minutes and stayed on for quite a while. I can't work out why BBC1 was interrupted, since DSO everyone has access to BBC News, isn't that where people should be directed to?
Just watching my recording of Byzantium from BBC 4 last night and the same banner came up on that 3 times as well .

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

And now no Have I got News For You until 11:30, replaced by a NM talking heads fest. I know he was important, I know why he was important, why do I need to listen to a whole of celebrities telling it to me over and over again....
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

This seems to be standard practise. Diana's death in 1997 had overlaid text on various satellite/cable channels asking viewers to tune to a news channel for "an important announcement from Buckingham Palace", while for Pope John Paul II's death eight years later, the BBC4 banner (over the live remake of The Quatermass Experimemt) simply alterted to a "Major announcement" on News 24.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Yes, it's been 'normal' practise for years, there's a video on YouTube of someone flicking around the sky channels in the morning that Diana died and many were pointing viewers towards Sky News or BBC1.

As to why it's a generic caption rather than a specific one telling you the news, it's for a few reasons. Firstly it would require someone with some news writing nouse to write the thing. Secondly flashing up 'THE QUEEN IS DEAD' on BBC2 might seem a bit crass. Also there's less danger of breaking an embargo.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Scary wrote:Yes, it's been 'normal' practise for years, there's a video on YouTube of someone flicking around the sky channels in the morning that Diana died and many were pointing viewers towards Sky News or BBC1.

As to why it's a generic caption rather than a specific one telling you the news, it's for a few reasons. Firstly it would require someone with some news writing nouse to write the thing. Secondly flashing up 'THE QUEEN IS DEAD' on BBC2 might seem a bit crass. Also there's less danger of breaking an embargo.
Sky showed a banner saying 'Nelson Mandela is Dead' pointing to Sky News on its own channels.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

RayB wrote:I can't work out why BBC1 was interrupted, since DSO everyone has access to BBC News, isn't that where people should be directed to?
With all due respect, this is such a daft argument. BBC1 is a major PSB broadcaster and part of the line-up has always been news, without it it just becomes something like ITV or Sky 1 and it's not worth having (hence why BBC2, 3 and 4 all include news programmes in their line-up)*. The BBC1 news programmes get enormous audiences, they almost always beat their ITV opposition by about two to one, and news should remain on BBC1, because lots of people don't want to watch a rolling news channel, they want to get a proper digest of the day's news from a conventional bulletin. It also ensures people who don't make a point of specifically switching over to the news get to hear it.

If you get rid of news on BBC1, what do you replace the five hours a day or so that's currently filled by news programming? BBC Radio has a news station in Five Live, but you don't argue that Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 should get rid of news bulletins, do you? It makes as much sense as arguing that Tesco shouldn't sell fruit and vegetables because there are shops that do nothing but. It's to ensure a channel that appeals to everyone. News has a place on it, sport has a place on it, big events have a place on it, otherwise you end up with a channel that's pickled in aspic that just shows one or two genres and just becomes like every other channel on the planet.

As for the story itself, I think it's a massive overexaggeration by some posters in here, it is clearly a major, major story, it doesn't matter that we all knew it was coming. When my gran died a few years ago we'd all accepted it was clearly coming but that didn't make when she'd died any less upsetting. It is a major moment and to say it deserves less coverage because he was 95 is ludicrous.

What didn't help was that the death was announced ten minutes before the main news that evening (which I think caught everyone by surprise as I think the idea was that his death would never be announced outside daylight hours) so clearly it was the very latest news and the tributes were coming in as they were on air, I know he was going to stay dead but there was plenty to report on. If it had been announced a few hours earlier, there would have been more time to put together a more coherent bulletin, but they were making decisions on air.

Being on the East Coast I know all about the weather at the time but the local news got on, which in the affected areas focused on that prominently (Look North Hull was more or less all weather) and that was a better way to pass on information than in a token wrap-up on the national news. If the flood was going to personally affect you you'd have known about it, you probably wouldn't have been watching the telly.

Lest we forget, if Mandela hadn't died, the schedules after the Ten O'Clock News had, on BBC1, Question Time which would have been about the Autumn Statement, on BBC2, Newsnight, which would have been about the autumn statement and on BBC News probably more chat about the Autumn Statement. And there would never have been much news about the storms after midnight because they always simulcast with BBC World and most viewers were either asleep or had been evacuated. At 6am, when the mass audience was switching back on, they were reporting on both stories.

What gets me when we get complaints about interrupting programmes is that the rest of the time people don't stop slagging off current telly and saying it's all crap, then when they deviate from the published schedules suddenly the existing shows are irremovable.

* I know somebody would reply to this by saying, well, what about kids' shows, but that's different because there are obvious benefits from putting kids' shows on their own channel, because it means kids can find them on the EPG and not have to share them with a channel that at other times could be totally inappropriate. Also kids under the age of twelve now don't know of a time when there wasn't kids' channels so they don't expect them not to be there, unlike the news.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Steve Williams wrote:BBC Radio has a news station in Five Live, but you don't argue that Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 should get rid of news bulletins, do you?
Well no, but Radio 5 Live has a remit to cover breaking news stories and Radio 4 doesn't. It actually annoys me when Radio 4 interrupts regular programmes to cover breaking stories (e.g. the formation of the current coalition government) because it could easily direct listeners over to Radio 5 Live, but the two stations seem to ignore each other's existence. I'm sure there's a large element of "turf wars" here, both on television and on radio.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Brock wrote:Well no, but Radio 5 Live has a remit to cover breaking news stories and Radio 4 doesn't. It actually annoys me when Radio 4 interrupts regular programmes to cover breaking stories (e.g. the formation of the current coalition government) because it could easily direct listeners over to Radio 5 Live, but the two stations seem to ignore each other's existence. I'm sure there's a large element of "turf wars" here, both on television and on radio.
I suppose the big difference there is that one's on FM/LW and the other's on MW. It's no good pointing me to 5 Live when there's breaking news if I've got an FM only radio (which are very common these days)

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

It still strikes me as odd that on "news" channels and "news" bulletins, they will entertain such a preponderance upon one story, to the detriment of generally informing the audience of other things with editorial merit. Cover the story, by all means. Even devote a third of the bulletin to it if it's really major. But then, barring the declaration of World War III, it should be: "...and there's continuing coverage of this on the red button and on our website. Now the rest of the day's news..."

In this age of red buttons and web access it really is the tail wagging the dog to devote such huge amounts of time to one story on your main network or news channel bulletins. Minute by minute coverage as nauseum should be the stuff of red button and internet feeds. Is it a "news" bulletin or a "let's obsess ourselves with one story" bulletin.

Of course Mandela was hugely significant and I totally agree that extended coverage should be given to it. But as part of a balanced, rounded, bulletin. It's my personal opinion that the balance on such occasions is seldom as it should be.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Scary wrote:
Brock wrote:Well no, but Radio 5 Live has a remit to cover breaking news stories and Radio 4 doesn't. It actually annoys me when Radio 4 interrupts regular programmes to cover breaking stories (e.g. the formation of the current coalition government) because it could easily direct listeners over to Radio 5 Live, but the two stations seem to ignore each other's existence. I'm sure there's a large element of "turf wars" here, both on television and on radio.
I suppose the big difference there is that one's on FM/LW and the other's on MW. It's no good pointing me to 5 Live when there's breaking news if I've got an FM only radio (which are very common these days)
What about DAB, Freeview, internet etc.? I haven't listened to 5 Live on MW for years. They don't even bother giving out the MW frequencies on air any more.

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

I'm pretty sure I saw a banner that said "Margaret Thatcher Dies Live On Sky News" which had me turning over sharpish. That may have been reworded later....

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Brock wrote:What about DAB, Freeview, internet etc.?
Yes, although none of them are as universal as FM.
I haven't listened to 5 Live on MW for years. They don't even bother giving out the MW frequencies on air any more.
No, not for years. They're still part of their phone number though

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

penfold wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw a banner that said "Margaret Thatcher Dies Live On Sky News" which had me turning over sharpish. That may have been reworded later....
They did the same with Mandela according to a screenshot I saw last week.

I assume that's just an automatically generated template, with the headline added to 'live on Sky News'.It works fine for most other stories except a death

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

They had a good one following the memorial as well: "Top stories: World leaders at Mandela tribute, Obama-Castro handshake and same-sex marriage date set."

Maybe somebody is doing it on purpose. Must get a bit boring in the office at times.

elder7uk
405 lines

Post by elder7uk »

One particular news flash I remember vividly.

December 26th 1970 During a commercial break for the first time Carry On Cruising was aired (ITV).
Before going back to the film,they interrupted to report the Death of Lilian Board the then darling of British Athletics.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

ian b wrote:
Brock wrote:You're not confusing it with the Thatcher resignation, are you? That was announced on Radio 4 at 9.45am after "Punters", as I recall. The Major "resignation" was definitely in the afternoon, as others have mentioned.
Actually, you are probably right - I am confusing the two resignations. For some reason I recalled it was a Thursday, so checked that bit and it was for Major's. Unfortunately, so was Thatcher's! But one while I was a work, t'other when at home.

As amends - I'll throw the IRA attack on Downing Street into the ring, (also a Thursday), along with the death of John Smith. I wonder of Gaitskell's death received such saturation coverage?
I remember seeing Major's resignation as Tory leader being broken live on an edition of Newsround.