PR: Supernatural [bfi]

What's not currently on the box
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: Supernatural [bfi]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Werewolves, vampires and ghosts haunt the living in this long-awaited double-disc presentation of the much sought-after BBC horror series Supernatural).

Originally broadcast on BBC 1 in 1977 and rarely seen since, this classic series ran for eight terrifying episodes. In each, a different prospective member of the Club of the Damned is required to tell a story that will chill the blood of the club's members, and their application for membership would be judged on how frightening the story was. Failure to induce terror in all who attend would lead to the death of the storyteller...

A timeless example of British Gothic horror at its best, Supernatural boasts a superb cast of acting talent, including Billie Whitelaw, Jeremy Brent, Robert Hardy, Gordon Jackson, Sinead Cusack, Denholm Elliott and Ian Hendry.

First ever DVD release of this much sought-after and highly acclaimed BBC TV series

Contents

Disc One
1. Ghosts of Venice with Robert Hardy and Sinead Cusack
2. Countess Ilona with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
3. The Werewolf Reunion with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
4. Mr Nightingale with Jeremy Brett and Lesley-Anne Down

Disc Two

5. Lady Sybil with Denholm Elliott
6. Viktoria with Catherine Schell and Judy Cornwell
7. Night of the Marionettes with Gordon Jackson, Kathleen Byron and Vladek Sheybal
8. Dorabella with Jeremy Clyde

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supernatural-DVD/dp/B00E65SGH4

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

andrew baker
625 lines

Re: PR: Supernatural [bfi]

Post by andrew baker »

GOOD GRIEF!

The Holy Grail.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Lovely to have it out there, though to me it was a hide disappointment of a show with the exception of Night of the Marionettes which I loved. That's worth the DVD by itself.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

At last. It's summer 1977 again, O-levels just over etc.

rondo veneziano
405 lines

Post by rondo veneziano »

Superb, much anticipated news. It included some quite satisfying stories, a well executed little series.

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

Lord, I had forgotten this.......gave the 14-year old me the right heebs....

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

Will be so nice to ditch the muddy copies I have. A hit and miss series, but there are one or two excellent episodes.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

My favourites were the two-part werewolf story, and Night of the Marionnettes.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

It doesn't seem much remarked on, but LADY SYBIL is a remake of Muller's 1965 ARMCHAIR MYSTERY THEATRE: MAN AND MIRROR. Both have Denholm Elliot in the same role, and the later version's title may even be inspired by the original's lead actress Sybil Thorndike.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

It's worth persevering with this. Ghost of Venice is very dull but things improve a lot. Dorabella has some wonderful filmed location stuff. There's a very sinister doll and some very sinister marionettes. A mad cackling Jeremy Brett. An odd series for 1977, more like the original Mystery and Imagination, but it grows on you.

David Buck
405 lines

Post by David Buck »

There's a strange note in the back of the booklet - unless it's a typo for 2" - it says the release was sourced from 1" tape, which would mean they didn't go back to the master tapes or even a digital conversion from them.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

andrew baker wrote:It's worth persevering with this. Ghost of Venice is very dull but things improve a lot. Dorabella has some wonderful filmed location stuff. There's a very sinister doll and some very sinister marionettes. A mad cackling Jeremy Brett. An odd series for 1977, more like the original Mystery and Imagination, but it grows on you.
I'd agree: it's definitely worth holding on for Night of the Marionettes!

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

I'm gonna give this a whirl. Looks interesting and anything with Ian Hendry holds huge interest for me. I don't generally do singular favourites in anything, there's so much under the sun how can anyone? But I think he is my favourite actor.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Hendry's story (is he in both the episodes? I can't remember) is one of the highlights.

Benthegreendog
405 lines

Post by Benthegreendog »

I really like the Supernatural 1977 series and I will certainly buy this DVD. I think this, The Ghost Story for Christmas, MR James 'Casting the Runes' and the 1989 'Woman in Black' are some of the very best classic ghost series/stories.

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

ctraynor wrote:Hendry's story (is he in both the episodes? I can't remember) is one of the highlights.
Just looking at the booklet (got this for my Fiance for, Christmas- and the Ghost Stories For Christmas Expanded 6-disc set too..) Ian Hendry is in the episodes Countess Ilona and The Werewolf Reunion.

We've not had the chance to begin watching them, but it's going to be a case of at least a few episodes at a time- and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'm seeing some great actors here... the terminally under-rated Roger 'Nuts in May' Sloman, plus Gordon Jackson and Robert Hardy among many more!
Benthegreendog wrote:I really like the Supernatural 1977 series and I will certainly buy this DVD. I think this, The Ghost Story for Christmas, MR James 'Casting the Runes' and the 1989 'Woman in Black' are some of the very best classic ghost series/stories.
Again, some wonderful cast members in the Ghost Stories set and the early productions are likely to appeal to me most, personally. Though the production on the later ones will be a joy! Great for anyone who loves 'vintage' tv in general, I would say.

The Casting The Runes you mention, is the 1979 ITV Playhouse production, I believe?

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I agree with, I think it was Kim Newman but I'm not sure, in a Sight and Sound review recently that the opening episode is weak. It was one of the few episodes I missed at the time in 1977 but I've caught up with it and and all the others again since. I'll buy the box set sometime.

Benthegreendog
405 lines

Post by Benthegreendog »

BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote:
ctraynor wrote:Hendry's story (is he in both the episodes? I can't remember) is one of the highlights.
The Casting The Runes you mention, is the 1979 ITV Playhouse production, I believe?
Yes the one I mentioned was the 1979 ITV Playhouse production :)

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

ctraynor wrote:I agree with, I think it was Kim Newman but I'm not sure, in a Sight and Sound review recently that the opening episode is weak. It was one of the few episodes I missed at the time in 1977 but I've caught up with it and and all the others again since. I'll buy the box set sometime.

Well, the box set was £35 in HMV (give or take a few pennies..) around a week ago. Might be a good time to indulge? :)

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

ctraynor wrote:I agree with, I think it was Kim Newman but I'm not sure, in a Sight and Sound review recently that the opening episode is weak. It was one of the few episodes I missed at the time in 1977 but I've caught up with it and and all the others again since. I'll buy the box set sometime.

Well, the box set was £35 in HMV (give or take a few pennies..) around a week ago. Might be a good time to indulge? :)
£35 for Supernatural?!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Even Mark Lewishon's Beatles book costs less than that.

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

It's £18.74 from the BFI......less if you have a members discount.

Link

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

Lee Rose wrote:

£35 for Supernatural?!
Oops, sorry about that- I'd clearly not been paying attention!

It's The Ghost Stories box set that I meant. I've looked at the receipt and it was £34.99.

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

BBC Four is showing 3 episodes (well, the listing for next Tuesday's says 2/3). Last week it was Dorabella, next Tuesday (28th) at 10.55 it's Night of the Marionettes.

The TX forms say there have been "blanking fixes".

EDIT: Just seen it's £10.90 on Amazon for the BFI set, so ordered.

Al

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Or £9.39 delivered from Base.com.

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

Richard A wrote:Or £9.39 delivered from Base.com.
Ah. I'll console myself with the fact it'll arrive on Monday. I'd never seen any of this series before, but Dorabella whetted my appetite.

Al

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Al Dupres wrote:BBC Four is showing 3 episodes (well, the listing for next Tuesday's says 2/3). Last week it was Dorabella, next Tuesday (28th) at 10.55 it's Night of the Marionettes.

The TX forms say there have been "blanking fixes".

EDIT: Just seen it's £10.90 on Amazon for the BFI set, so ordered.

Al
I enjoyed "Night of the Marionettes", although it was a little stagey and overlit (everything in the 1970s seemed to be overlit, to avoid "noise" in the blacks I presume). Vladek Sheybal stole the show - he had an unsettling look about him, whatver his role. Gordon Jackson was a bit "hammy", but the whole thing was good enough to persuade me to buy the boxed set.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Enjoyed the reruns of both the episodes so far. I didn't think Marionnettes was overlit as most of the time everyone seemed to be stumbling around in the dark. Suitably creepy, though, even if the marionnettes could be seen clearly in reasonably lit bedrooms etc. I remember watching the series on Saturday summer nights in 1977, with Dracula, Frankenstein and Friends following on BBC2 soon after, with my first viewings of Brides of Dracula, Kiss of the Vampire, Plague of the Zombies, The Reptile. Great summer off school.

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

Watched 'Night of the Marionettes'. Wonderful! Gordon Jackson's irish was a bit dodgy and his performance could have done coming down a notch but otherwise the whole thing was ideal viewing for a cold October evening just before bed... and I didn't think it was possible for Vladek Sheybal to look any creepier than he already did, but...
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk