Dave Allen at ATV Material

What's not currently on the box
Thwaity
405 lines

Dave Allen at ATV Material

Post by Thwaity »

Hi everyone

Ive just been watching the BBC2 documentary on Dave Allen which was shown recently, and it got me thinking about the releases that are available to buy.

I didn't realise that he had done so much for ATV. I can only remember the BBC material, but there is hardly anything available.

I contacted Network on their Facebook page and was told by them and someone else that Dave Allen created a clause in his contracts which limited the availability of his material.

This is such a shame as there looks to be so much material that may never be seen by us.

Steve

JWG
D-MAC

Re: Dave Allen at ATV Material

Post by JWG »

Thwaity wrote:Hi everyone

Ive just been watching the BBC2 documentary on Dave Allen which was shown recently, and it got me thinking about the releases that are available to buy.

I didn't realise that he had done so much for ATV. I can only remember the BBC material, but there is hardly anything available.

I contacted Network on their Facebook page and was told by them and someone else that Dave Allen created a clause in his contracts which limited the availability of his material.

This is such a shame as there looks to be so much material that may never be seen by us.

Steve
Quite a lot on this here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=595&p=5855&hilit=dave+allen#p5855

Thwaity
405 lines

Post by Thwaity »

Many thanks JWG :-)

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

BBC Two, 4 Jan 2014 at 2300 - Dave Allen In Search of the Great English Eccentric

A 1974 documentary in which Dave Allen meets a variety of eccentrics, including a man who lives in a box on wheels, a cowboy vicar and a man who pretends to fly a Lancaster bomber in his garage.

Director: Robin Brown
ATV Production

Thwaity
405 lines

Post by Thwaity »

Wow thats fantastic news.

Thanks for the heads up on this one :-)

Steve

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Wasn't 'Dave Allen in the melting pot' about nightclub transvestites?
quite daring for 1969 I would have thought?

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

ozsat wrote:BBC Two, 4 Jan 2014 at 2300 - Dave Allen In Search of the Great English Eccentric

A 1974 documentary in which Dave Allen meets a variety of eccentrics, including a man who lives in a box on wheels, a cowboy vicar and a man who pretends to fly a Lancaster bomber in his garage.

Director: Robin Brown
ATV Production
Wonderful - I do hope some of the others get an airing.

mr_sepia_tone
405 lines

Post by mr_sepia_tone »

Looks like Jan 4th 2014 will turn out to be a proper 'Night' of Dave Allen (tribute), rather than just the one programme we got when 'Dave Allen: God's Own Comedian' was originally shown back in April 2013.

Very much looking forward to all 3 programmes...

Here's what the BFI has to say about one of the 3 programmes:

DAVE ALLEN: IN SEARCH OF THE GREAT ENGLISH ECCENTRIC (1974): http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/182642

Dave Allen meets a variety of English (and one Scottish) eccentrics, including a man who lives in a box on wheels, a cowboy vicar, a model railway enthusiast, a man who pretends to fly a Lancaster bomber in his garage and Ivor Cutler who explains what motivates him and sings some of his songs.
The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated (Well, that's how I see it...)

Thwaity
405 lines

Post by Thwaity »

Just a heads up guys. Don't forget tonight on BBC2!!

The Farmer
405 lines

Post by The Farmer »

Thanks for the heads up! I've already seen the God's Own Comedian programme, but the show that's on now and the follwing one are new for me. Great stuff by BBC2.

Thwaity
405 lines

Post by Thwaity »

I'm so pleased they have brought us one of Dave Allen's ATV documentaries. Let's hope there's more to come.

Steve

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

I've posted before about Dave Allen's documentaries and it's wonderful they have shown eccentrics. These were wonderful and important TV. They had a big influence on me at the time. They let us see the world in a different way. Allen is a non-judgemental and sympathetic observer. There's no attempt to make jokes of anything - and there's no commentary. Exemplary film making. Brilliant.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

Quite agree, Andrew. Any laughter is with, not at. I think what I loved most about it was the (correct) assumption that these people knew what they were doing. No attempt to suggest that it was misguided.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

The facial expressions captured of those being interviewed was just lovely I thought..they obviously trusted Dave Allen?

Also agree with the previous sentiments Dave Allen and team (not forgetting the editor could have turned it into something else) were true observers, neither a judge or there to mock..just interested.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

I wondered what else Robin Brown had done, and found that he is predominantly a maker of natural history films, which makes sense. Just observe and record. This picture sums up the whole documentary for me. Allen is laughing, but he's laughing with Snowy Farr, not at him. It's just lovely.

The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.