Shoestring Series 2

What's not currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Shoestring Series 2

Post by Don Satchley »

Does anyone know if this will ever get released? Its been nearly 2 years since Series 1 was released. I know that we had a long wait for the various issues to be resolved (mainly music rights) for the initial release but I thought those issues would have been solved for both series at the same time. It would be great to complete the release and there are some great episodes in series 2. My off-airs will have to suffice until then I guess.
Don

Ross
D-MAC

Re: Shoestring Series 2

Post by Ross »

Oh bugger! I thought this was an announcement.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

I read on another board that the BBC specifically said, maybe 6 months ago something like that, they have no plans for releasing series 2.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Sorry Ross I had a feeling some might get that impression. On a different note but the same topic, I have often wondered whether a re-imagining of Shoestring would work. Whilst Trevor Eve was awesome in the role, for me part of the charm is the location of Bristol. For me it would be interesting to see the city used more in engaging drama (I don't mean Casualty and that ilk which have been made there in the past).

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Although not Bristol, and probably not a view that many would agree with, but I thought that the recent Case Histories had a Shoestring feel to it.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Don Satchley wrote:I have often wondered whether a re-imagining of Shoestring would work. Whilst Trevor Eve was awesome in the role, for me part of the charm is the location of Bristol.
I wouldn't like to see it resurrected. It was of its time and brilliant for it.

I'd like to see Bristol in more dramas, though. It was a treat seeing it from the early-60s in Some People.

rhystp
405 lines

Post by rhystp »

SteveBoyce wrote:I read on another board that the BBC specifically said, maybe 6 months ago something like that, they have no plans for releasing series 2.
I had the same reply recently, hopefully they will change their mind at some point - unrelated but it took them 5 years to release Series 4 of The Green Green Grass

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Shoestring: The Complete Series [DVD].

A provisional listing, slated for October the 2nd, but there nonetheless which is very encouraging.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks for the heads up Richard, it would be lovely if it was released. I still think Bristol is underused on tv. Some terrific locations.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Yes, Bristol looks fabulous onscreen. I'm reminded of Some People and Follow Me, both of which made great use of the city.

I think Network have already announced their October titles, so I suspect we'll have to wait a little longer for Shoestring, but hopefully this shows that it's co img sooner rather than later. Maybe November...

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

As long as I can watch the final, Christmas Eve set episode The Dangerous Game on, well, Christmas Eve, I'll be happy.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Agree about Bristol. It's been used a good time in the last few years, Skins, Murder in Mind and Mistresses spring to mind. Clifton especially makes a great location.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Richard A wrote:As long as I can watch the final, Christmas Eve set episode The Dangerous Game on, well, Christmas Eve, I'll be happy.
Don't plug that track in whatever you do...it's one of my favourite episodes as well.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

Simon36 wrote:Agree about Bristol. It's been used a good time in the last few years, Skins, Murder in Mind and Mistresses spring to mind. Clifton especially makes a great location.
Being Human was the one most popular here, and we're still angry at losing Casualty to Cardiff.....

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

penfold wrote:
Simon36 wrote:Agree about Bristol. It's been used a good time in the last few years, Skins, Murder in Mind and Mistresses spring to mind. Clifton especially makes a great location.
Being Human was the one most popular here, and we're still angry at losing Casualty to Cardiff.....
Oh yes, I forgot about BH. Also worth noting two single plus from past times that used it well: THE GORGE begins with some fascinating shots of Hotwells as it was in 1967, and NOT FOR THE LIKES OF US has some great location footage especially of that grand old Orpheus Cinema.

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

Simon36 wrote:
penfold wrote:
Oh yes, I forgot about BH. Also worth noting two single plus from past times that used it well: THE GORGE begins with some fascinating shots of Hotwells as it was in 1967, and NOT FOR THE LIKES OF US has some great location footage especially of that grand old Orpheus Cinema.
The Orpheus at Henleaze ??? marvellous. Mostly a Waitrose now but still a cinema in part of the site, a three screen indie run by Scotts, very good it is too.....opposite is the Westbury Park Tavern, best known as the Kebab and Calculator in The Young Ones, which we also haven't mentioned yet....

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Yes, meant to mention that pub. The Orpheus was of course once owned by Pete Walker.

I've mentioned previously on here BBC Bristol's first filmed play, FOR LOVING from 1972, shot mostly in Clifton, a stunning little work.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

At last! Aside from Whodunnit series 5 I haven't bought anything from Network in four years, so this is most encouraging. I hope they get their hands on more BBC stuff in future.

Dene
405 lines

Post by Dene »

Shoestring: The Complete Series is now listed on Network's site. Out very soon, 2nd October.

http://networkonair.com/coming-soon/274 ... ete-series

Nice cover.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Dene wrote:Shoestring: The Complete Series is now listed on Network's site. Out very soon, 2nd October.

http://networkonair.com/coming-soon/274 ... ete-series

Nice cover.
Wonderful news!

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I tried to order it from the network site but it won't let me add it to my basket. What gives? Don't they do pre orders or something??

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I don't think Network ever did pre-orders on everything, did they? They seem to have slowed down a lot in the last year, too.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Juswuh wrote:I don't think Network ever did pre-orders on everything, did they? They seem to have slowed down a lot in the last year, too.
Network used to have a cumbersome 'remind me when it becomes available' sort of arrangement, which mostly didn't work.
I always preferred to buy direct, but sometimes, when it was something I didn't want to miss, I pre-ordered from a third-party retailer.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Network's website is now showing October 16th.

I can live with that - as long as I can see the The Dangerous Game on Christmas Eve while sipping a glass of port, I'll be happy.

EDIT: The listing now shows the inclusion of a booklet from Andrew Pixley which is excellent news (and more than makes up for the delay).

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

Does anyone know if they've reinstated the cut music piece from series 1?

For that matter do we know if any music has been changed in series 2?

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Someone over on the Roobarb's Forum has received their copy already (from zoom.co.uk) and reports that the back cover states that there are music substitutions - thus far no detail though. I'd guess all episodes would have to be watched by someone who knows their way around the original soundtrack before the truth will be known.

That same forum member has reported that the Andrew Pixley penned book accompanying the release is an impressive 170 pages long. Whether there are any notes re. substitutions buried in there, I don't know.

Personally I not too bothered about the odd substitution, as long as the dramatic content is there and uncut. I'm just happy to be getting the second series at last, even if I have to rebuy the first.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Hi Richard :)

In haste ...
Richard A wrote:That same forum member has reported that the Andrew Pixley penned book accompanying the release is an impressive 170 pages long. Whether there are any notes re. substitutions buried in there, I don't know.
Just to confirm that the only music substitution I was aware of while preparing my viewing notes was the replacement of "Lucky Number" with "Heart of Glass" in "Private Ear", and this is the only substitution referred to in my text. The other viewing prints I was supplied with tied up with the available period documentation. However, I have not seen the finished discs (and will be unlikely to do so in the near future due to lack of time).

Hope that helps.

All the best

Andrew

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Thanks, Andrew. That sounds very encouraging.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Richard A wrote:Network's website is now showing October 16th.

I can live with that - as long as I can see the The Dangerous Game on Christmas Eve while sipping a glass of port, I'll be happy.

EDIT: The listing now shows the inclusion of a booklet from Andrew Pixley which is excellent news (and more than makes up for the delay).
I'll be watching it on Christmas Eve too! I'll show it to my mum. I remember us all watching it in 1980. It's surely the best Christmas themed episode of a series ever.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

My brother and I also watched this on its original tx. A terrific race against time that seems to pack so much in.