Shoestring Series 2

What's not currently on the box
Ross
D-MAC

Re: Shoestring Series 2

Post by Ross »

Anyone received this from Network yet? i ordered mine Monday evening and it was apparently posted Tuesday but no sign of it yet. And Terrahawks 3, ordered afterwards in the sale, has just arrived.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Ross wrote:Anyone received this from Network yet? i ordered mine Monday evening and it was apparently posted Tuesday but no sign of it yet. And Terrahawks 3, ordered afterwards in the sale, has just arrived.
I had a similar problem when I ordered The Crunch and Other Stories a few weeks back. It didn't show up despite my having been notified of despatch. I chased it and got a response that they would look into it and heard nothing again until the DVD eventually arrived. Going by the date on the packing slip, it clearly hadn't been sent until after I'd chased it.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Ah, cheers, Michael. I'll chase them up Monday.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

So has anyone watched the new DVD set yet? How is the picture quality and the audio? Its on my Christmas list!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I haven't because mine still hasn't arrived and no response from Network. Appalling customer service for a regular customer.

Westcountry
405 lines

Post by Westcountry »

same situation here.
I had similar issues with The Crunch and Other Stories as the poster above, again receiving it after I queried it.

I had an email for Network on 18th stating my order for Shoestring had shipped.

I‘d not received it within the usual few days it takes, so queried it with them.

Here‘s the reply I received on 24th:

"I am writing to you from Sony DADC Customer Services - the distribution warehouse for Network products.

I have checked the order in our system and I can see that it was processed on 18th Oct.
Unfortunately it is currently out of stock.
In order to be delivered we need the stock to be available.
That is the reason why you still did not received your order.
Once the stock is available your order will be shipped to you.
Also please note that the delivery can take up to 28 days.
In case you will not receive your order by then please do not hesitate to get back to us.
Regarding the confirmation which you received via your email address -
I am afraid that is only an automatic email send via the Network system to let you know that your order has been processed.
Thank you for your patience in this matter.
"

"Buck" and "Passing" between Sony and Network seems to spring to mind.
The confirmation email referenced above is the Shipping email sent by Network which implies the order has been physically shipped.
Still yet to be received.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Thanks for that, Westcountry. Seems to be a thing with Network/Sony. Has anyone received Shoestring, I wonder?

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Another day one purchaser still waiting here... Not though I'm short of stuff to watch in the meantime!

Dene
405 lines

Post by Dene »

Ross wrote:Thanks for that, Westcountry. Seems to be a thing with Network/Sony. Has anyone received Shoestring, I wonder?
I'm sorry to hear the troubles people are having with their Shoestring orders.

I ordered mine as soon as it was possible, i.e. just after midnight on Sunday 15th Oct. Received it Tuesday 17th.

However, I ordered Ace of Wands in the recent sale -- no such luck there, still waiting!

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Well I was going to wait but until Christmas to order but couldn't and I bought it a few days ago from Network. It arrived after 3-4 days which is fine. The book Andrew has written is wonderful and I look forward to delving into it over the next few months. However, and I do hate to moan, the quality of the video on the DVDs is very very poor. On other forums I had been warned but I thought maybe they were exaggerating. The video is the same for Series 1 as the ancient DVD release. Series 2 for me seems worse if anything. They compare with my off-airs which is saying something. I really don't understand why Network can go through all the hassle of the music issues and then not bother to go back and get a fresh print of the series with the latest techniques. If you look at some of the stuff they have released on Blu-Ray it can't be due to a risk of not getting the money back. We have waited a long time for a full release and it is a real shame that the video lets it down. I have played it on an upscaling player and my pc. It is more pronounced on the pc. Really disappointed.
Don

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Mine has finally arrived. I've watched three so far and the soundtrack on the third episodes (the one with the army man running a boy's school) is out of synch.

Really poor (or non-existent) quality-control by Network.

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

I also regularly watch the episode "The Dangerous Game" at Christmas. An episode that features Michael Elphick, Celia Imrie, Burt Kwouk , Maurice Colbourne and Eric Richard (Bob Cryer from the Bill) with his odd bike/trailer combo, I've seen this episode so many times I know it word for word. I recorded them all off UKGold many years ago (VHS tape now converted to DVD). I was considering buying the DVD collection - but with critical comments regarding audio sync and picture quality I may hold off a bit. See if the price drops from the current £39 on network.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

The sound has been out of synch on every dvd Network have ever released, except a few recent ones. For all old Network releases, delay the audio by 80ms in VLC player.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

On Radio Bristol this afternoon they featured Shoestring due to the 40th anniversary this week. Includes interviews with Liz Crowther and George Fenton:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07m7107
Does anyone know of any other shows that mentioned Shoestring this week?

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Don Satchley wrote:On Radio Bristol this afternoon they featured Shoestring due to the 40th anniversary this week. Includes interviews with Liz Crowther and George Fenton:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07m7107
The show that Liz Crowther's appearing in is "The Disappearing Act" in case anyone is interested:

https://www.turtlekeyarts.org.uk/disappearingact

All the best

Andrew