Daytime Drama - Together (Southern Television)

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I was intrigued by this page about a show I have never ever heard of before, Together (1980-81), a Southern soap.

http://www.80sactual.com/2010/02/togeth ... -1981.html

It claims here that series two was broadcast live. That must make it the last drama series ever to be broadcast live, discounting live one-offs of Coronation St etc, and also by 1981 the first for a long time?

There is mention in the comments after the feature of other forgotten daytime shows including a Thames one set in an advice centre. Anyone remember this or any others?

I'm still dying to see Couples, as it has such great names attached to it...

JWG
D-MAC

Re: Daytime Drama

Post by JWG »

There's a clip of the opening credits from series 2 on TV Ark,announcing on voiceover and caption that it's live.There are opening credits from series 1 as well.

ian b
D-MAC

Re: Daytime Drama

Post by ian b »

Wouldn't it have been better to have had TOGETHER in this thread's title? Otherwise it's a general catch-all for daytime tv.

stearn
Committee

Re: Daytime Drama - Together (Southern Television)

Post by stearn »

Ian, amended.

Wakey
405 lines

Post by Wakey »

Not the last live series, if a series of four live plays counts as a series. See: http://www.britishtelevisiondrama.org.uk/?p=3984

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Wakey wrote:Each episode went out live at lunchtime and in its first episode, as if to prove its live credentials, characters had the radio on in the background of one scene relaying the Radio 4 Today programme.
How did that work then?

;)

Wakey
405 lines

Post by Wakey »

ian b wrote:
Wakey wrote:Each episode went out live at lunchtime and in its first episode, as if to prove its live credentials, characters had the radio on in the background of one scene relaying the Radio 4 Today programme.
How did that work then?

;)
Whoops, that's embarrassing. I shall edit my post in a moment if I can.

I can't now track down my source of that info to see if I copied an error across or mistranscribed, if that's a word. I wasn't much of a Radio 4 listener (except for the plays, obviously) back when I started that aborted article and wasn't very aware of the Today programme so I can see how missed it, but I've no excuse now, I should have re-read the text before posting. You can consider me appropriately contrite.

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

Simon36 wrote:I was intrigued by this page about a show I have never ever heard of before, Together (1980-81), a Southern soap.

http://www.80sactual.com/2010/02/togeth ... -1981.html

It claims here that series two was broadcast live. That must make it the last drama series ever to be broadcast live, discounting live one-offs of Coronation St etc, and also by 1981 the first for a long time?

There is mention in the comments after the feature of other forgotten daytime shows including a Thames one set in an advice centre. Anyone remember this or any others?

I'm still dying to see Couples, as it has such great names attached to it...

Yes,would love to see Couples again. Seem to remember it tackling some quite adult themes for an afternoon drama from this era. I wonder why it wasn't included on the Soap Box DVD? Not strictly soap perhaps,but then nor were all of the shows on that release.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

VintageFan wrote:
Simon36 wrote:I wonder why it wasn't included on the Soap Box DVD? Not strictly soap perhaps,but then nor were all of the shows on that release.
Because Renown have the DVD rights to the archive holdings of Southern, not Network.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

ian b wrote: Because Renown have the DVD rights to the archive holdings of Southern, not Network.
That is true, but the comment was about Couples which was from Thames.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Ian Wegg wrote:
ian b wrote: Because Renown have the DVD rights to the archive holdings of Southern, not Network.
That is true, but the comment was about Couples which was from Thames.
Ha! You got me there.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

You raise an interesting point though.

Lostshows.com says "Out of an original total of 50 episodes, 2 episodes are missing" but Renown Pictures Ltd. only list "27 x 30 mins". Has someone miscounted?

My only recollection of this show is an interview with Carol Hawkins on Day By Day about the demands of live TV. I'm pretty sure I saw it as just a cost cutting exercise by Southern in their final year.

~iw

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

TOGETHER was discussed on the old board, here...

http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... #pid222021

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

This article about Together was posted recently (and slightly incongruously) on the "ATVToday" website:

Classic Soap Flashback: Together

The most enlightening fact, how they prepared for potential hiccups in the live broadcasts, appears in the comments.

~iw

Xrds1895
405 lines

Post by Xrds1895 »

Have to say I have really enjoyed the repeats of this show on Talking Pictures TV. Series 1 ends its run today.
I had a Tweet from Talking Pictures who have told me that series 2, the live series, will be following in Summer.
However I think lostshows.com needs a little update. It says that episode 22 of series 1 is missing, however I am happy to say that all 26 episodes of the series have been broadcast!
Cheers.

John Williams
625 lines

Post by John Williams »

Xrds1895 wrote:Have to say I have really enjoyed the repeats of this show on Talking Pictures TV. Series 1 ends its run today.
I had a Tweet from Talking Pictures who have told me that series 2, the live series, will be following in Summer.
However I think lostshows.com needs a little update. It says that episode 22 of series 1 is missing, however I am happy to say that all 26 episodes of the series have been broadcast!
Cheers.
Series 1 had 27 episodes and Talking Pictures have shown only 26 of them as episode 22 is indeed missing. Episode 23 had a caption at the start summarising what had happened in the missing episode.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

John Williams wrote:
Xrds1895 wrote:Have to say I have really enjoyed the repeats of this show on Talking Pictures TV. Series 1 ends its run today.
Cheers.
Series 1 had 27 episodes and Talking Pictures have shown only 26 of them as episode 22 is indeed missing. Episode 23 had a caption at the start summarising what had happened in the missing episode.
Here it is, caption fans:
https://twitter.com/MarkTalksTelly/stat ... 4095760385

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

As the TV Times had it...

(if in green there was no credit in the TVT, and the info comes from the episode itself)

Rutherford Court is a smart three-floor block of flats built by a housing association in a leafy suburb an hour's railway ride from London.
It provides 30 homes and has a large communal lounge where, under the watchful eye of warden Lynne Webber, the residents get together to exchange gossip.
They are an interesting , mixed bag - among them a taxi driver, a young hairdresser, a milkman, a beautician and two newly-weds. Their lives and problems are the basis of Together, a twice-weekly drama series starting Thursday and continuing for an initial 26 episodes.
And where it is going to score with viewers will be in its topicality. Each episode of Together is being filmed only three days before it goes out on screen - the quickest turn-around of any regular series, say its Southern Television producers.
This means that any event that becomes majot news - such as a strike, a political crisis or even a Royal romance - can be introduced into the script as part of the story-line.
The central character at Rutherford Court is Lynne Webber (played by Sheila Fay). She is a warm, capable, good-humoured woman who, through her job as warden, cannot help becoming involved in the day-to-day dramas and the inevitable tantrums that occur when a group of such varied characters live close together...

There then follows "Lynne" in character giving a run down of the main characters. Along with a line drawing of Rutherford Court with a helpful arrow pointing outthe entrance.

And although the article mentions 26 epsiodes, it seems that the knock-on effect of no episode going out on Good Friday was that it was extended by an extra episode...

untransmitted pilot

1; Thursday 24-01-80
writer: Rosemary Anne Sisson
director: Matthew Robinson
Drama series set in a housing association block of flats called Rutherford Court.
The residents – ranging from newly-weds to pensioners – share their happiness and heartbreak, joys and sadness.
In this first episode, the block’s warden Lynne Webster awaits the arrival of a new resident – the recently widowed Derek Harding...

2; Friday 25-01-80
w: Rosemary Anne Sisson
d: Matthew Robinson

The new resident at Rutherford Court, Derek Harding, is still trying to come to terms with both his tiny flat and himself. Already, he finds he has a rather overpowering friend in Daphne Porter. But some of the residents are still not keen on his keeping a dog on the premises.

3; 31-01-80
w: Adele Rose
d: David Pick
Newly-weds Richard and Julie Dunn are still settling in. Richard dislikes his new home and regards the move as temporary. Then Duggie Webber claims he knows something that could get Richard thrown out of his flat...

4; 1-02-80

Dora Klein goes against her husband Harry’s wishes and takes the job of cleaner at Rutherford Court. Will this threaten Harry’s social standing in the community?

5; 7-02-80
w: Phil Redmond
Since her divorce and breakdown, Sarah Cunningham has become dependent on her elder sister, Martha Finch. Why does Martha feel threatened when Sarah’s ex-husband turns up again?

6; 8-02-80

Duggie Webber decides to opt out of Rutherford Court’s pools syndicate – and discovers that he could be losing out as well...

7; 14-02-80
w: Bill Barron
Leslie Shepherd wonders if his divorce will appear in the local Press. Julie Dunn frets about the implications of her possible pregnancy because children are not allowed at Rutherford Court.

8; 15-02-80
w: Bill Barron

For some weeks the residents of Rutherford Court have been losing property. Who is the thief?
Julie Dunn, having confided her problems to Daphne Porter, now wonders how to break the news to her husband.

9; 21-02-80
w: Barbara Clegg
Richard Dunn is unimpressed by the thought of fatherhood. So much so that his wife Julie considers the possibility of terminating her pregnancy.
Meanwhile, another resident of Rutherford Court, Martha Finch, prepares to visit a relative...

10; 22-02-80

Martha Finch returns to Rutherford Court unexpectedly and finds her sister Sarah entertaining a young man.

11; 28-02-80
With the departure of Derek Harding, his close friend Daphne Porter has time on her hands. So, too, does Martha Finch, whose sister Sarah Cunningham is away on a cruise. But Daphne and Martha soon fall out.
Meanwhile, Julie Dunn wants to tell the warden about her baby and give notice. But her husband Richard disagrees...

12; 29-02-80

Richard Dunn is spending so many evenings working late that his wife Julie becomes suspicious and decides to check on him.
Also, rumours abound over newly-divorced Leslie Shepherd, who is still seeing Alison Warner from his office...

13; 6-03-80
Rutherford Court warden Lynne Webber goes down with a mystery flu bug, so husband Duggie is left in charge of the block of flats. It isn’t long before he is swamped with problems.
Meanwhile, resident Julie Dunn begins to have qualms about Mike Gowers’ new friend.

14; 7-03-80

Duggie Webber believes that he and Mike Gowers are responsible for the mystery flu bug that has hit Rutherford Court.
But how can he keep it quiet from the residents?

15; 13-03-80
w: Alfred Shaughnessy - no writer's credit on episode
Rail steward Trevor Wallace wants to share a flat at Rutherford Court with his friend, Peter Hunt. But rumours about their relationship fly.
Will warden Lynne Webber and the housing association allow them to move in together?

16; 14-03-80
w: no writer's credit on episode

The Dunns have regrets following their dinner party.
Also, Lynn Webber – the warden of Rutherford Court – announces to her husband Duggie that she has been offered another job...

17; 20-03-80
Rutherford Court resident Julie Dunn has some explaining to do when husband Richard returns home early to find her alone with another man...

18; 21-03-80

Dora Klein has a little personal success, and she wishes her husband Harry would show more interest in it.
Mike Gowers tries his luck with a young lady rather close to home.

19; 27-03-80
Controversy still rages at Rutherford Court as to whether Trevor Wallace should be allowed to share a flat with his friend Peter Hunt.
The controversy is kindled even further when Harry Klien learns that the pair are homosexual.
Meanwhile, the Dunns are still at loggerheads over Julie’s job.

20; 28-03-80

Dora Klein is offered some tickets by Leslie Shepherd to attend a play reading. How will her husband Harry react?
Sarah Cunningham and Russell King decide it is time to clear the air.

21; 3-04-80
Julie Dunn returns home from hospital to face a new future. But her husband Richard is annoyed when Julie’s mother, Mrs. Miles, visits to offer help.
Meanwhile, Daphne Porter decides to go on a spending spree.

4-04-80 no programme

22; 10-04-80
Martha Finch becomes curious about a strange woman seen with Daphne Porter – and Tricia Webber has a head-on confrontation with Mike Gowers...

23; 11-04-80
w; Bill Barron - no writer's credit on episode
d; David Pick
Sarah Cunningham appears to have disappeared for the weekend, so Martha Finch looks around for a shoulder to cry on.
Area manager Mr. Mallory, in whose territory Rutherford Court lies, visits the block of flats to hear the residents’ problems.

24; 17-04-80
w: Bill Barron - no writer's credit on episode
Trevor Wallace learns that Leslie Shepherd is having trouble at work and may even be out of a job.
Meanwhile, Elsie Potts and Martha Finch sample the delights of apricot brandy...

25; 18-04-80
Taxi-driver Harry Klein has an unexpected passenger. Also, Duggie Webber decides to go on a decorating spree in Elsie Potts’ flat...

26; 24-04-80

Martha is still alone, wondering where Sarah has gone, and if she will return. Lynne Webber becomes anxious now that Tricia is friendly with Mike Gowers again...

27; 25-04-80

While the Dunns make preparations to leave Rutherford Court, Mike and the other residents rehearse their surprise send-off party. Meanwhile, Sarah Cunningham reaches a decision which could come as a blow to Martha.

The producer of both runs was Tony McLaren, and not Bryan Izzard as the ATVLand article as linked to above would have it.

Replaced in the same slot by FOR MADDIE... WITH LOVE.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Series two...

28; Thursday 8-01-81
A return to Rutherford Court, the housing association block of flats, for further stories. Its residents range from young couples to pensioners, and share their sadness and fun. Warden Lynne Webber still misses her daughter Trish, gone to work abroad. But this is forgotten when Joe Fripp and his piano arrive.

29; Friday 9-01-81
Martha Finch has asked Duggie Webber to do some decorating for her in the housing association’s time.

30; 15-01-81
There are stormy times ahead for the residents thanks to Joe Fripp, who has already fallen out with several of them because of his piano.
Susi Powell wonders if husband Geoff is strong enough to give up his advertising job and go freelance.

31; 16-01-81
More confident now that she is living alone, Martha Finch decides to make more of an effort with Edward Fuller in a bid to discover what is bothering him. Lynne Webber has an unexpected visitor.

32; 22-01-81
Trevor Wallace and Pete Hunt return from holiday in the Greek islands and find it difficult to settle down to the calm of Rutherford Court.
Aware of Edward Fuller’s anxiety over money, Martha Finch has a plan that may get him out of trouble.

33; 23-01-81
Trevor and Pete prepare to welcome an unexpected guest and Martha entertains her new friend, Donald Short.
Meanwhile, Mary Sutton plans a visit to London.

34; 29-01-81
Amy Barratt hears some gossip that worries her. Geoff Powell is embarrassed when he receives an unexpected visitor.

35; 30-01-81
Amy Barratt and Joe Fripp clash over car park petitions. Arthur Sutton learns something that puts a smile on his face for the first time in months.

36; 5-02-81
Joe is still wondering just how involved Geoff Powell is with his mystery girlfriend from the office. Lynne Webber has a phone call from her sister in Liverpool asking for a favour – one which could well upset life at Rutherford Court.

37; 6-02-81
Geoff Powell has domestic problems and is getting anxious about finding work. Lynne and Duggie have not yet realised the impact their young relative will have on the residents of Rutherford Court.

38; 12-02-81
d: John Coxall
Susi Powell makes up her mind over Geoff’s son and has a showdown. Meanwhile, Martha plots how to get Edward involved in medical matters.

39; 13-02-81
Susi gets a shock when Geoff proves that he is not as dependent on her as she thinks.
Duggie shows more interest in his wife’s niece, Charlene.

40; 19-02-81
w: Jane Hollowood
Mary Sutton is still shaken by husband Arthur’s accident and wonders when he will return home.
Meanwhile, Martha has a scheme that could well keep Edward busy for many weeks to come.

41; 20-02-81
Tony Sutton has visited his mother at long last and is already beginning to irritate her.
Lynne finds out where Duggie was staying when he went missing.

42; 26-02-81
w: Jane Hollowood
Geoff and Susi Powell get some good news and Arthur comes home.

43; 27-02-81
Amy and Joe have a picnic in the potting shed. Martha involves Edward in teaching English to some of her doctor friends from the hospital.

44; 5-03-81
w: David Ian Neville
Geoff and Susi are worried about their future both at Rutherford Court and with each other.
The Suttons anxiously await the arrival of their son Tony, wondering what they will think of his girlfriend Prue, while Lynne’s niece Charlene still has ideas of breaking into the pop scene.

45; 6-03-81
Trevor Wallace persuades Pete that it might be worthwhile looking for somewhere in the country to opt out to.
Tony Sutton and girlfriend Prue are still staying with his parents, as Prue seems to have hit it off with Arthur Sutton.

46; 12-03-81
w: Roy Russell
Martha Finch worries about Sarah Cunningham’s drinking and wonders if it has become a problem.
Geoff and Susi Powell think seriously about their future at Rutherford Court. Charlene Frisby continues to pursue her singing career.

47; 13-03-81
Edward Fuller consoles Martha Finch about Sarah Cunningham’s drinking. Geoff Powell becomes depressed.

48; 19-03-81
Mary starts driving lessons, Duggie goes down with the flu and Charlene receives a letter from some music people.

49; 20-03-81
Edward Fuller comes up with a possible new job for Sarah. Mary Sutton gets a surprise when she returns home from a shopping trip.

50; 26-03-81
Duggie, recovering from flu, begins to worry about the absent Charlene.
Trevor returns from his country ramble, only to find that Pete is missing.
Lily, getting more and more involved with Joe, decides she needs to seek some personal advice from Martha and Geoff Powell gets a begging letter.

51; 27-03-81
Lynne has an unexpected visit from a relative, much to Duggie’s annoyance. Trevor is getting very concerned about where Pete has gone, while Martha is shown a menacing note from Mr. Piercefield.

52; 2-04-81
w: Terry James
There’s a birthday party conspiracy for Joe and Lily. Pete Hunt returns home to an angry Trevor. Charlene’s mum, Marge, continues to irritate the Webbers.

53; 3-04-81
w: David Ian Neville
Trevor and Pete are still arguing, and Charlene seems set for singing stardom... or does she?

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

Thanks for those.

I've enjoyed watching the first series. At the end a caption and announcement said it was back in the Summer (as mentioned above). I had a tweet from Talking Pictures TV a few days ago saying they were still restoring it.

Al

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

On the evidence of the first series, that'll be muting the racist/sexist/homophobic comments and filmising the picture then...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:On the evidence of the first series, that'll be muting the racist/sexist/homophobic comments and filmising the picture then...
The first bit, probably...but I caught the first two episodes of "Scarf Jack" last week, and noticed the studio scenes had their proper VT look, so I thought someone had read the instructions and found out which button to press.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

May as well put this here, a few differences between the rehearsal scripts and the transmitted versions of a couple of episodes. First up is episode 10, still titled PEOPLE TOGETHER (no recording info alas)...

There's a character building bit cut from the opening scene between the two sisters, when Martha comes back unexpectedly and finds Sarah entertaining a man in their flat...

SARAH: Why didn't you stay though? Is Allie alright?

MARTHA: She's impossible. One afternoon there, and I'd had enough. She's got very peculiar, you know - since she got older.

SARAH: (SYMPATHETICALLY) Oh Martha -

MARTHA: besides, the only reason shed asked me was because she wanted a couple of dresses altered.

SARAH: I'm sure it wasn't.

MARTHA: I could tell.

SARAH: My sister used to be a dressmaker.

MARTHA: More of a couturier, really. And I'm always ready to help, of course.

SARAH: She does get rather taken advantage of. (SMILING) Especially by me, I'm afraid.

MARTHA: That's different. You know I like doing things for you. (TO RUSSELL) I'm used to it. Sarah was the baby of the family, you see -

SARAH: (SLIGHTLY EMBARASSED) Yes - Well - I'll see you out, Russell.

In the next scene, rather than employ another actress, Myrtle Devenish's "Mrs. Barratt" takes the place of the anonymous "Woman 1" in the script.

In the scene between the sisters immediately before the ad break, this sequence that gives some insight into Sarah's past has been cut...

SARAH: It was all that worry about the clothes (STILL NO RESPONSE FROM MARTHA) I think they'll be perfectly alright. Once they've been washed another few times.

MARTHA: You need somebody to look after you, you always did.

SARAH: (BRIGHTLY) Well I've got you, haven't I?

MARTHA: Yes. It's what you'll do when I've gone that worries me.

SARAH: (WITH A LAUGH) I don't think we need worry about that yet, do you?

MARTHA: You never look ahead, that's your trouble. Never did. And look what it's got you.

SARAH: (HER TEMPER BEGINNING TO FRAY) And what has it got me?

MARTHA: A divorce, for one thing. You never should have married him in the first place. A nervous breakdown, on top of that. And it's hardly surprising. And now, last night.

SARAH: Last night?

MARTHA: I haven't got over the shock yet.

SARAH: (CRISPLY) Martha, there's one thing I think we should get straight about last night. You jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Later, the short scene of short scene of Trish giving Daphne and Mrs. Barratt their cups of tea doesn't appear in the script and is likely to have been inserted as a topical reference piece, (moves for teenagers being allowed to becomes MPs).

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Episode 14 - an "amended script" dated 20th Feb 1980.

Rehearsals were on 28th, 29th February and 1st March 1980, with a walk through and technical run on Sunday 2nd March. 3rd/4th March were the recording dates.

Scene 4 was curtailed somewhere in the process, losing its (unimportant) ending. Harry has been quizzing Mike about him being snarky with Trevor...

MIKE: Glad to see you're back to normal, then.

HARRY: Never better. (CHUCKLES) Picked up a punter at three o'clock. Out of his skull he was. Didn't know what year it was, never mind what day. He got in one door of the cab and fell out the other - I went round and he asks me 'ow much is that?!

MIKE: So naturally you told him.

HARRY: What's happening about this freezer business?

MIKE: (SHRUGS) Duggie was going to check it out this morning. (CLOSER) He stuck a fan heat or something in there last night.

HARRY: I wouldn't like to be in his shoes if anyone finds out.

MIKE: We're all in this together mate - at least that's what Duggie says.

HARRY: And what do you say?

MIKE: I say let's wait and see what happens - then it's every man for himself. But right now, unlike you self-employed Wallas, I'm forced to sell my labour and work for a living. See ya!

HE GOES - HARRY PONDERS HIS 'EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF' REMARK AND THEN HEADS FOR HIS BED.

Maybe to make things flow better visually, what was written as scene 5 with Lynne talking to Mrs. Barratt and then walking over to Daphne and Dora is now interrupted with scene 5B between Duggie and Mike, (who Dora would have passed on her way out of the lounge if it had been shot as scripted).

Scene nine lost this little bit, which sets up a brief comic interlude which was also cut - I'm guessing to avoid paying for an extra...

HARRY: (TO DUGGIE - NOTICING HIS GLUM COUNENANCE) What about you smiler? Decided to join in yet?

DUGGIE: That bloody pools syndicate of yours had cost me enough already - and I'm not in the bloody thing.

HARRY: (IGNORING HIM) Hey, you know that geezer up on the second floor back? I was right about his and that bus clippie.

MIKE: Caught them at it have you? Back seat at the Market terminus?

HARRY: Just been up for his pools money. (WINKS) Your Uncle Harry knows the signs when he sees them.

DUGGIE: Well I know one sign. He's eating enough for two out if that freezer.

HARRY: You're not still on about that are you?

The amorous resident refered to in that exchange would have been seen at the very start of scene 13...

SC. 13: LOUNGE (EVENING)

NEXT NIGHT - DARTS MATCH NIGHT - IN LOUNGE ARE A FEW RENT-A-RESIDENTS AND DORA KLEIN TALKING TO DAPHNE PORTER... AS WE JOIN THEM A MAN IS PASSING BY.....

DORA IMMEDIATELY NUDGES DAPHNE AND NODS TOWARDS MAN.

DORA: That's him.... Dirty devil (THEN LAUGHS) Probably off to meet the last bus.... You know what Harry told me he.... (saw) 'What's up?

DAPHNE HAS BOTICED MARTHA'S ENTRANCE AND HAS SHIFTED IN HER CHAIR - AWAY FROM THE DOOR, HOPING NOT TO BE RECOGNISED.... DORA TURNS TO LOOK..... SEES MARTHA, BUT IN SONDOING ATTRCATS HER ATTENTION....

DORA: Oh.... Old rent-a-mouth.

DAPHNE: Which Red Indian tribe is it that if you save their life they feel they owe it to you, and follow you about for ever?

In the transmitted episode an extra scene that isn't in the script has been inserted between scenes 13 and 14: Lynne walks in on Pablo and Dave, the two darts players from the Black Horse's team, as they examine the locked freezer and her husband backs her up when she asks them to leave the room.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The final episode of series 1 is run again on Tuesday (7th) late afternoon, with series 2 starting on Wednesday (8th).

MAldridge
405 lines

Post by MAldridge »

Surprised to hear a 'bastard' the other day.

Looks like Patsy Smart has disappeared, to be replaced by an actress playing a very similar (or the same?) character.

A shame that the cast skews quite so old. I also don't really understand how the flats work as this isn't my era - are they council owned?

I'm not sure that the changes between series make much difference - the loss of Mike is keenly felt as he was comfortably the best actor, and his relationship with Sarah Greene's Trish was a good central story.

The sets are a little lighter, and I think we've lost the lobby and reduced the size of the lounge, but I do wish they had created a pub set as everyone just buying their cups of tea while having fun off screen is rather silly.

Also bonkers to have a plot line about a garden and parking that we never see!

John Williams
625 lines

Post by John Williams »

MAldridge wrote:Surprised to hear a 'bastard' the other day.

Looks like Patsy Smart has disappeared, to be replaced by an actress playing a very similar (or the same?) character.
Different character but clearly inheriting all the lines meant for Patsy Smart's character. No idea if Smart reappears or not - she still makes an appearance in the opening titles.
A shame that the cast skews quite so old. I also don't really understand how the flats work as this isn't my era - are they council owned?
It's owned by a housing association. There are still a lot of them about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_association
I'm not sure that the changes between series make much difference - the loss of Mike is keenly felt as he was comfortably the best actor, and his relationship with Sarah Greene's Trish was a good central story.
Yes it's a shame Mike has gone. I'm not enjoying this as much as the first series, but I'm impressed by how smooth the show is considering it's live. Bar the odd line stumble and camera zoom, it's almost indistinguishable from the recorded first series.

MAldridge
405 lines

Post by MAldridge »

Thanks John - yes, it's a very smooth production. Like you, I enjoyed S1 more.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

To me it still looks filmised, but t least they have now worked out how to get the picture back to widescreen for the adverts - several episodes I watched had them played out 3x4!!!!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The series 2 theme is an improvement, the first one wasn't so much melancholic, more suicidal.!