When an actor died

What's not currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

When an actor died

Post by fatcat »

When I was younger oh so much younger than today, I had this peculiar notion that when I found out that an actor died his/her image would disappear from the productions they were in and the other actors would be left talking to blank space.This would cause me not to watch films post mortem.This notion was eventually exorcised by the many repeats of say Randall and Hopkirk..and of course growing up..

I wondered if any other members had had any brainstorm moments where a young imagination had played tricks on them?

SgtPepper
625 lines

Re: When an actor died

Post by SgtPepper »

I can't compete with that. But I do vividly recall watching Tony Christie making a quest appearance on a programme (I think maybe Golden Shot but I'm not sure and can't be arsed to check if he was ever on it) singing I Did What I Did for Maria. They'd created a prison cell set and I asked my aunt if it was a true story and he was really being executed in the morning. :-)

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

As a kid I used to think that when you turned the TV off, someone at the TV station knew that you'd done it and so stopped sending the programmes to you.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

I am sure many young kids have done this and asked their parents "Daddy, what was it like when you could only see in black and white ?" Ironically, today when I think about the 20's/30's, the images of that time in my head are always in black n' white.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

My childhood notion was a bit more wide scale. I used to think - and have recurring dreams - that the electrickety didn't work at night, because the people who made it would go home to sleep, but obviously that was after I went to bed, because they were grown ups. Then one night I woke up at about 22:30, went downstairs, and - apart from the lights obviously working - I found my mother doing the ironing. She let me have some cereal until I was ready to go back to bed in my own time, which I did around 23:00. Never had hose dreams again.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I used to think people on television weren't real people, but sort of animated cut-outs. I was quite staggered when I learned that people in dramas were somebody's mummy or daddy, and just pretending.

I also thought that they were making it up as they went along.

My brother also pointed out those sort of strips that the weatherman used to walk past between the maps and told me the BBC kept the Doctor Who monsters in there and once a zygon jumped out and attacked Jack Scott. After that whenever I watched the weather and the presenter walked past one of those gaps I worried for him and looked away.

In a non-tv sense, two other childhood fancies I had: I thought the weather was decided by the government and the weather forecast at night was what they had decided we needed for the next day. I assumed at local petrol stations or town halls they had a set of dials on the wall for wind, heat and so on.

And I could never figure out how only people who were married had children. (Yes, I know). I deduced it was obviously something that was caused by putting a wedding ring on.

But the one I ca't top is that someone once said that when they were little they thought that oil slicks were dead rainbows.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

I used to think that the people in the television stations rolled up each picture and shoved it down the aerial cable into the set.

May I tell you about my late Auntie Florrie?

She was widowed in the mid 1960s and, living in a council house with only the gas fire in the living room as the main source of warmth, she used to get changed for bed in there before going upstairs.

She used to have the telly on while she was doing this.

One night, as she was in mid-change (i.e., bra and knickers), Alfred Hitchcock Presents came on. Hitchcock looks straight at Flo and says, "You think I can't see you, don'tcha? Well, I can!".

She was pushing sixty, but probably touched ninety as she hurtled screaming up the stairs.

From that night on, not only did she make sure the set was off and unplugged, but she would put a cloth over it as well, just to be sure...

Thwaity
405 lines

Post by Thwaity »

One of the most freaky scary moments I remember was when Leonard Rossiter died. ITV put the Rising Damp film on, and at the end (spoiler alert coming lol) when he falls down the stairs, it faded to black and then a picture of Leonard Rossiter came up on the screen. It stayed on there for what seemed like an age. That for a 12 or so year old freaked me out big time, and to this day still does!!

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

This thread is brilliant.

Tilt Araiza
405 lines

Post by Tilt Araiza »

Thwaity wrote:One of the most freaky scary moments I remember was when Leonard Rossiter died. ITV put the Rising Damp film on, and at the end (spoiler alert coming lol) when he falls down the stairs, it faded to black and then a picture of Leonard Rossiter came up on the screen. It stayed on there for what seemed like an age. That for a 12 or so year old freaked me out big time, and to this day still does!!
Now that's interesting! My memory is that it ended on a freeze-frame of Frances De La Tour putting out a candle with her fingers, with a continuity announcer mentioning over the frozen frame why the film was shown. Couldn't have been done differently in different regions, could it? Wildly unlikely, but I was in YTV-land for example.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

GarethR wrote:As a kid I used to think that when you turned the TV off, someone at the TV station knew that you'd done it and so stopped sending the programmes to you.
I had similar ideas. I remember once my mum was watching something but had to stop partway through to start making dinner. Apparently I told her to turn the TV off thinking that when she turned it back on later, it would resume from where she had stopped it.

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

Back in the late 50s, television sets often came only equipped with the means of tuning to some, but not all of the 13 available channels. (We're talking frequencies here of course!) So our first multichannel set had a dial that offered channels 1 to 12, but channels 6, 7 and 12 were blank and didn't work. I often dreamt that I'd put the telly on when everyone was asleep and I could pick up colour pictures on channels 6 and 7; not to mention that I would also betimes dream of fantastic DX and being able to watch far-off ITV stations.

Now I can watch every ITV region and every BBC region, and stuff from all sorts of places in HD widescreen colour. I've stopped dreaming. But there's just no thrill any more.......

BrentCleever21
405 lines

Post by BrentCleever21 »

Back when the Bugs Bunny Show was regularly on TV (mid-1960's) our local ABC Cinema had paintings of the Warner Brothers characters next to the side entrance, and I used to think this was the stage door where they'd come out after the cartoons (this was in the days of a "full supporting programme" in the cinema). I'm not sure if I really believed that, or if I thought it was a nice notion, but I remember thinking about it.
The Patrick Wymark Boardroom http://www.wymark.org.uk

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

Age 8 my Dad took me to Wimbledon Common to look for The Wombles. By that age I almost completely realised that it was a fictional television programme, but still had that tinge of childhood excitement that it could all be real and we just might see one.

He also used to tell me that, behind the Test Card, there was a live orchestra playing the music (led by John Williams of Star Wars fame) and one day the card fell down and you saw them all frantically putting it back up, which I believed for years. Looking back he was almost certainly inspired by a 1992 'TV Hell' fake clip as seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIxIJshmTw ...that and the tone was generated by someone moving their finger over a glass, which would be a Not the Nine O'Clock News joke.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

BrentCleever21 wrote:Back when the Bugs Bunny Show was regularly on TV (mid-1960's) our local ABC Cinema had paintings of the Warner Brothers characters next to the side entrance, and I used to think this was the stage door where they'd come out after the cartoons (this was in the days of a "full supporting programme" in the cinema). I'm not sure if I really believed that, or if I thought it was a nice notion, but I remember thinking about it.
I remember my elder sister going to see "Abba - The Movie" at the ABC in Halifax, and thinking that ABBA would be there, in person, to shake hands with all the viewers as they left the cinema. It was a similar situation when "Superstars" came to Halifax and the rest of my family went to see it whilst I was left at home with my Mum. I spent the afternoon clicking through the channels on the TV wondering why I could not see "Superstars' on the TV. I had no concept of recording and playing back at a later date.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

As a young child in the early 1990s, one weekend morning I was very annoyed with my older brother about something he had or hadn't done.

He'd then gone out, having set the video to record an episode of "Lost in Space" (of all things!) being repeated on Channel 4 that morning. I turned on the TV, put on Channel 4 and put my hands on the screen to "cover" the picture, confident that I would have ruined part of his recording and gained my revenge on him...

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Back in them days there always seemed to be a really vast ocean between BBC and ITV and neither mentioned the other. I remember honestly having a nightmare in the 70s that Dr Who returned after the summer break on ITV and it was AWFUL. It had a really tacky title sequence that had the word "starring" in it that looked a bit like Give Us A Clue. I suspect this was borne out of GUAC using the Grange Hill theme in a very inferior form at the time.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Billy wrote: He also used to tell me that, behind the Test Card, there was a live orchestra playing the music
I used to think that there were singers in every radio studio standing by to sing the jingles live each time.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

GarethR wrote: I used to think that there were singers in every radio studio standing by to sing the jingles live each time.
You were right. There were.

silverking
405 lines

Post by silverking »

Back in the 50's when BBC used to broadcast from Alexandra Palace there was a news programme which used to go out about 6pm each evening. The opening credits were the title letters of the programme revolving around the mast at Ally Pally. Quite technical for its time. As I lived close to the Palace, as kids we frequently went up there at 6pm hoping to actually see the letters going round the mast.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Simon36 wrote:And I could never figure out how only people who were married had children. (Yes, I know). I deduced it was obviously something that was caused by putting a wedding ring on.
Yes me too. My mother briefed me on the biology of the process at a very early age, when my younger siblings came along; I never thought to query the validity of her assertion that you had to be married for it to happen.

My earliest TV memory was wondering how things appeared far away when the TV set only went back to the wall. For some reason I never questioned that everything was small, it was only the perspective that puzzled me.

I was also confused by the printed page, I once carefully cut out a picture of a train in my comic convinced that once freed from the flat paper I would be able to play with it.

~iw

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Clive wrote:I am sure many young kids have done this and asked their parents "Daddy, what was it like when you could only see in black and white ?" Ironically, today when I think about the 20's/30's, the images of that time in my head are always in black n' white.

Same here!

And when on news programmes they used to talk about guerillas (is it justy me, or are there a lot less of these today? Perhaps it's because they call them insurgents or whatever) I used to picture a scene from Planet of the Apes with gorillas walking round with machine guns.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Oh yes, I had that gorilla confusion too: I just assumed that in parts of the world man and ape were battling for territory.

A friend of mine used to think "available from all good booksellers" meant only those whose shops were underground, ie book cellars.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

When I was about four I absolutely loved Ain't She Sweet by The Beatles and used to play the record ad nauseam. I remember asking my mother 'Does the man get tired, having to sing it each time?'

Unbelievably, considering how often I played it, she said no.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

I think I owe my fascination with behind-the-scenes trivia to my dad. I remember watching an episode of Sooty where he got a custard pie in the face and in the next scene he was perfectly clean, and this very much confused the infant me:

'How do they wash and dry him so quickly?'
'Well, they probably recorded the second scene first.'
'What?!'
'Or more likely, they've got several Sooties.'
'Several Sooties?'
'Yes. Probably hanging up on hooks.'

My jaw dropped to my feet. I was never the same again.

From then on, I always enjoyed watching TV with my dad. Particularly the Paul Daniels show, where he'd tell me how each of the tricks were done (sometimes even going so far as to draw me a diagram). All at my request, I should add - he was totally up for retaining my childlike sense of wonder, but I wasn't!

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I remember being so fascinated by how the robots eyes shone red in the Dr Who story I kept asking my dad and he used that magical phrase "trick photography" that you don't hear anymore.

My brother then wrote me a letter to the BBC. I got a signed picture of Tom Baker, which I combed looking for an answer to my question. It was like a mysterious clue I had to work out the answer from.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Simon36 wrote:I remember being so fascinated by how the robots eyes shone red in the Dr Who story I kept asking my dad and he used that magical phrase "trick photography" that you don't hear anymore.

Oh Yes I remember my Dad with that phrase as well (basically saved him from trying to explain it LOL).
In old stuff you would sometimes be aghast with 'wow how did they do that' ....these days you just say 'oh its just CGI'

rachel leah
405 lines

Post by rachel leah »

When I was small, my brother told me that there were little people living in the TV doing all the shows. I did not believe him.

He also told me that there was a boy living in the attic of our little semi, who would come out at night after we had all gone to sleep. I did believe that. Years later I found out that he got the idea from the 1970's film "Bad Ronald" which was a film about a boy who was hiding in a house and only coming out at night. I found that out on this forum.

I also got the gorilla confusion too.