Elementary

What's currently on the box
Cole
625 lines

Elementary

Post by Cole »

If anyone has seen the US Sherlock Holmes series, Elementary, then they know that Cumberbatch and Freeman have got nothing to worry about. However, as someone who doesn't watch much US television, I still find Elementary quite entertaining. It's true that the only thing that lends itself to the Sherlock Holmes universe are the characters' names as everything else is a formulaic detective drama but I find the quirks of the main character are still quite engaging, even though it's all speech and no action.

However, if there is one thing that I find a shame is the lack of British-English from Holmes himself. As someone who has apparently only been in the US for a little while, Holmes has slipped into US-English very quickly which jars a little. There is the occasional nod to British-English ("where's your Lavatory?") but this could have been a further character trait. Still, the programme is made for an American audience so that's only to be expected.

didi-5
625 lines

Re: Elementary

Post by didi-5 »

I've watched almost every Holmes adaptation over the years but this one only really has the character names and one or two quirks - there was a nod to bees, Irene has been mentioned .... Jonny Lee Miller is perhaps not as manic and twitchy as Benedict Cumberbatch was in the second Sherlock series, but the mix of the Sherlock 'brand' plus generic US detective drama almost comes off. There have been one or two clever episodes so far and having Watson as a woman (for the third time if you count the two previous films which had a Holmes theme and a female 'Dr' Watson) works well.

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Seen a few and rather enjoyed them. Quite like the lead, he seems to be pretty good. He reminds me of Rupert Penry-Jones from Spooks.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

We have enjoyed Elementary and it helps pass the time until any new Sherlocks are made. Could be an idea to have a crossover episode if it makes another season? Benedict meets Jonny...

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Don Satchley wrote:We have enjoyed Elementary and it helps pass the time until any new Sherlocks are made. Could be an idea to have a crossover episode if it makes another season? Benedict meets Jonny...
It could be similar to Frankenstein where they can switch between Holmes and Moriarty!

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

I thought I was going to hate this adaptation, despite being a fan of Mr Miller.

But I enjoy it a great deal. Yes, its no BBC Sherlock, and is by and large the usual formulaic procedural, but Lee Miller's performance lifts it. And the very lovely Lucy Liu is a good foil for this Sherlock.