Ripper Street

What's currently on the box
Cole
625 lines

Re: Ripper Street

Post by Cole »

Still enjoying this but a glaring error this week where the scratches on Inspector Ressler's face went from the left side of his face to the right and then back again.

I believe that a second series was commissioned before the first episode was broadcast (according to Den of Geek). Hope that's true.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Seems like the Underground is finally putting in an actual appearance in the next episode, and deep tube tunelling, at that. As it's set in 1889, I'm guessing it's the City & South London Railway (the proto-Northern line) between Stockwell and the City.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:Seems like the Underground is finally putting in an actual appearance in the next episode, and deep tube tunelling, at that. As it's set in 1889, I'm guessing it's the City & South London Railway (the proto-Northern line) between Stockwell and the City.
...Prior to its opening to the public.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

brigham wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:Seems like the Underground is finally putting in an actual appearance in the next episode, and deep tube tunelling, at that. As it's set in 1889, I'm guessing it's the City & South London Railway (the proto-Northern line) between Stockwell and the City.
...Prior to its opening to the public.
Hence "tunnelling..."

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

But in the end just a fictional mash-up, presumably purely to maintain the location, complete with advertising hoarding featuring a painting of of a Leslie Green-esque Undeground station, when the architect himself will have only been 13 or 14 years old!

Still, another good episode. Jackson on speed was certainly a nice twist, although it's a bit of a stretch to think that Anton Lesser's character hit upon using it to control epiletic seizures, as well as - I'm sure the implication was - developing leucotomy/lobotomy about 40 years earlier than in the real world.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Ther series really does seem to be in fantasy-land with the storylines. It appears as though this may be a recurring theme. Still very enjoyable.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

I'm quite disturbed by it. I think you have to see it as pure fantasy. The technology is steampunky and not right. The electric underground line was ridiculously unrealistic but what I find hard to take is the language. Why do people talk in a sort of 17th century style? Almost Shakespearian. Considering how much literature there is of the period it's surely possible to get in the right spirit.

But the girl playing Lucy the tragic tart was spellbinding.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

But since when did 19th Century East End Coppers say "burglarise"?

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

I never, ever, thought I'd type this sentence. What a superb actor Jerome Flynn has become.

Gervase Fen
405 lines

Post by Gervase Fen »

Absolutely. Stuart Heritage's series-so-far verdict for The Guardian is spot on:
But the revelation of the series is Jerome Flynn as Sergeant Bennet Drake. In the last decade or so, he has transformed from a proto-boyband punchline into a terrific character actor. He looks as if he has spent all of his wilderness years running face-first into tree trunks until he was adequately wizened and haunted to take on this part. Without question, he's the find of the show.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

penfold wrote:I never, ever, thought I'd type this sentence. What a superb actor Jerome Flynn has become.
I have to confess that I didn't pay much attention of the credits beforehand, and it wasn't until part way through the second episode that I realised he was playing Drake!

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
penfold wrote:I never, ever, thought I'd type this sentence. What a superb actor Jerome Flynn has become.
I have to confess that I didn't take much attention of the credits beforehand, and it wasn't intil part way through the second episode that I realised he was playing Drake!
Should I dig out Soldier Soldier to admire his earlier work?

Great work from him, agreed, while his mate has gone fishing...

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Someone mentioned that this series is similar to Deadwood. I guess it's about as realistic a London in 'Ripper Street' as it is a realistic Wild West in 'Deadwood'. Now I thought that the latter series seemed a realistic depiction of that era in American history; I wonder if the Americans think the same about the former?

Again, quite a silly storyline, but it's looking like this is what was intended; and again is was very entertaining. Tbh I also didn't realise who the actor was playing the Sergeant, I actually thought it was Kevin Whately!

Doctor_Doctor
405 lines

Post by Doctor_Doctor »

Ludicrous nonsense, but highly enjoyable ludicrous nonsense.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I have reduced myself to lurking on this site recently, as other contributors pretty much cover anything I would have said, but I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned about the axe falling on Ripper Street.

I've found series two just as good as the first and am very disappointed at its cancellation. It seems, however, that a bit of a backlash has started about this and that the main view is that the BBC have made a big mistake.

The reason given for its axing is due to poor ratings but one has to wonder why it was put up against I'm a Celebrity...? I'm not usually this cynical, but was Ripper Street put up against I'm a Celebrity... on purpose to give an excuse to kill off an expensive series?

I wonder what are the chances of a u-turn to the cancellation? That hasn't happened for any other series for a while, to my knowledge, and even a BAFTA couldn't save The Fades!

I've always been a supporter of the BBC, but my next direct debit to TV Licencing is going to make me wince.

David Buck
405 lines

Post by David Buck »

I believe "Not going out" was repreived after being formally cancelled

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

David Buck wrote:I believe "Not going out" was repreived after being formally cancelled
Now you come to mention it, I do recall that. Has there been any saved drama, recently?

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Interesting development and all for it if it can save Ripper Street:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12- ... ird-series

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Any further updates re Ripper street possible third series? I really enjoyed this series and hope a third series will go ahead.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

All I can report is that another page on the Radio Times site, which stated 'the last ever episode', was taken down the next day. I don't usually speculate because it mostly turns out to be a disappointment (and I am aware that the RT isn't a BBC publication anymore), but I'd like to think that this means, at best, it isn't the last or, at least, negotiations are still on-going.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Cheerz Cole. We reamin hopeful!

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

CHARLENE MCKENNA SAID ON IRISH TV THAT IT WILL BE BACK ON ANOTHER CHANNEL.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Was she on RTE's The Late Late Show?

Gallunach
405 lines

Post by Gallunach »

bill wrote:Was she on RTE's The Late Late Show?
There's also the Saturday Night show but the only programme I found listing her as a guest was a radio show and there's also the possibly with mentioning Irish TV she might have been interviewed on TV3's Xpose ( a celeb news show )

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Gallunach wrote:
bill wrote:Was she on RTE's The Late Late Show?
There's also the Saturday Night show but the only programme I found listing her as a guest was a radio show and there's also the possibly with mentioning Irish TV she might have been interviewed on TV3's Xpose ( a celeb news show )
She was on an early evening magazine show.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

BBC News: Ripper Street resurrected on Amazon Prime

"The new episodes will be broadcast on BBC One a few months later."

voyager
405 lines

Post by voyager »

Welcome news, just a shame that the BBC is contractually obliged to spend most of its funds on cookery,property and antique shows so it can't afford to produce good drama like this itself.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

It actually has quotas to meet for buying in outside productions, so this is well within its remit. Surely the fact that someone else is stumping up money and the BBC can then buy it in for less than it would have cost to make it for themselves is a good thing as it will allow the finite pot to stretch that much further.

Personally I don't agree with the indie quota as the Indies are now far bigger than is healthy, and there are far fewer. I was surprised when going through a load of recordings recently to find that virtually every indie was now an endemol company - hardly in the original spirit of things.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I found out about this quite late in the day but, regardless, I'm just chuffed to bits.

From what I understand, this is now a co-production between Amazon, BBC, BBC America and the Irish Film Board. It wasn't that long ago that the more expensive dramas were co-productions with WGBS Boston (or whatever it was) with things like Murder Rooms. This is probably a very different arrangement, with Ripper Street, but to my mind it doesn't *seem* so different.

P.S. Amazon: there was a rather good little series called Strange that also needs finishing.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

stearn wrote:...
Personally I don't agree with the indie quota as the Indies are now far bigger than is healthy, and there are far fewer. I was surprised when going through a load of recordings recently to find that virtually every indie was now an endemol company - hardly in the original spirit of things.
It occurs to me that the BBC pays for an indie to make a programme, but the indi company reaps the benefit as they hold the copyright. Is this right, or do the BBC get some return on sales or merchandising rights?