Ripper Street

What's currently on the box
penfold
625 lines

Re: Ripper Street

Post by penfold »

My Day = Made. Too good a series to die.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Cole wrote:It occurs to me that the BBC pays for an indie to make a programme, but the indi company reaps the benefit as they hold the copyright. Is this right, or do the BBC get some return on sales or merchandising rights?
It would all depend on the arrangement/contract. I suspect that some are straight forward buy-ins that are broadcast however many times, and others are more convoluted with joint rights, percentages of receipts and licenced usage of BBC owned rights. I got the impression from earlier comments that the cost of producing the show internally didn't make sense for the audience it achieved (and I presume this was in all territories, with BBCWW selling it and costs recouped) but buying in/joint producing did, even though the return would be considerably less. Record it while you can though as past history says that where there are joint rights it is a bugger to release (think Clochemerle, Colditz etc.).

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Gallunach wrote:
bill wrote:Was she on RTE's The Late Late Show?
There's also the Saturday Night show but the only programme I found listing her as a guest was a radio show and there's also the possibly with mentioning Irish TV she might have been interviewed on TV3's Xpose ( a celeb news show )
Many thanks for that George.

Glad to see Ripper street to get that 3rd series. Was in today's London Metro paper.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

I'm very glad to see it back too - though I thought the ending of the second series (the boxing match) a bit contrived. Strong characters and I'm looking forward to seeing how their stories work out. Also I love the attempt to make the dialogue match the speech patterns of the time.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

stearn wrote:Record it while you can though as past history says that where there are joint rights it is a bugger to release (think Clochemerle, Colditz etc.).
But those were shows made in the days before home releases even existed. I suspect these days such things are worked out well in advance.

And in this particular case, isn't the show now going to be primarily *for* home release, via Amazon, anyway?

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Cole wrote:
stearn wrote:...
Personally I don't agree with the indie quota as the Indies are now far bigger than is healthy, and there are far fewer. I was surprised when going through a load of recordings recently to find that virtually every indie was now an endemol company - hardly in the original spirit of things.
It occurs to me that the BBC pays for an indie to make a programme, but the indi company reaps the benefit as they hold the copyright. Is this right, or do the BBC get some return on sales or merchandising rights?
Up until about 2003, the BBC owned everything, which obviously irritated some of the indies making programmes for them.

You therefore have some shows (HIGNFY or Spooks, for example) which straddle that change, with earlier series originally owned entirely by the BBC, and latter series having the rights retained by the production company. I'm not sure how things work for such shows being dealt with as one body of work for release or sale to another channel, etc.

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

bill wrote:
Gallunach wrote:
bill wrote:Was she on RTE's The Late Late Show?
There's also the Saturday Night show but the only programme I found listing her as a guest was a radio show and there's also the possibly with mentioning Irish TV she might have been interviewed on TV3's Xpose ( a celeb news show )
Many thanks for that George.

Glad to see Ripper street to get that 3rd series. Was in today's London Metro paper.
It was on Today, an evening magazine show.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Well, Ripper Street has now premiered on Amazon Prime and the reviews it has received, on site, appear to be very favourable. This is along with a lot of BBC bashing for cancelling the series in the first place.

Irritatingly, Amazon's episodes will be of a longer length than when they are shown on BBC One, next year. It's a tempting draw to join Prime, but I really can't justify the cost for one series.

I just wondered if anyone has seen any of the two episodes currently available of Ripper Street and has it really kept its quality?

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

I've just watched the first two episodes and they're excellent - certainly no drop of quality over the first two series. The only concession to the new regime is that four years have passed between series two and three.

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgs57diQQU[/BBvideo]

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I have been hearing good things across the board about this new series.

I am very tempted to join for this, but I am already subscribing to Netflix* and I can't afford both. Having said that, my significant other ordered something from Amazon recently and she found, when her credit card bill arrived, that they had taken £79 without her knowledge. Turns out that, when ordering, she'd left a tick in a box and ended up an Amazon Prime member by accident.

I didn't take advantage and she has managed to get her money back, but I was *that* close to seeing the new Ripper Street.

*Incidentally, I recently watched the first episode of Life On Mars on Netflix and was horrified to discover that it has several scenes missing. Made me want to cancel my subscription, that did ...

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Surely it will (after a suitable period of time) be available on one Sky tv channel or another? At least on DVD anyway.

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

We just got an offer of a free trial to Prime, so my husband is going to watch as many Ripper Streets as he can in the time...I don't think it's any better than Netflix which we subscribe to already, so we'll just make use of the freebies.

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

marsey wrote:Surely it will (after a suitable period of time) be available on one Sky tv channel or another? At least on DVD anyway.
I do believe it'll be on BBC One.

There's a bit here: http://www.theguardian.com/media-networ ... per-street

Al

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Al Dupres wrote:
marsey wrote:Surely it will (after a suitable period of time) be available on one Sky tv channel or another? At least on DVD anyway.

Al

Nice one, cheers. I can live with waiting for the series to come to the Beeb rather than sign to yet another tv service. Ripper Street is good, but not that good.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

marsey wrote:
Al Dupres wrote:

Al

Nice one, cheers. I can live with waiting for the series to come to the Beeb rather than sign to yet another tv service. Ripper Street is good, but not that good.
Just to reiterate what I've previously said, Ripper Street will be shown on BBC One, but will be slightly edited from the Amazon version. The Amazon versions are running for just over an hour, but will be trimmed back to an hour for its BBC One broadcast slot.

I don't know which version will be used for the DVD, or even if they will get a release.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

I quite happy to wait for it to come to the BBC too!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Cole wrote:
Just to reiterate what I've previously said, Ripper Street will be shown on BBC One, but will be slightly edited from the Amazon version. The Amazon versions are running for just over an hour, but will be trimmed back to an hour for its BBC One broadcast slot.

I don't know which version will be used for the DVD, or even if they will get a release.
Just got around to completing Series 3 and what a great series. Given the extended run times it was perhaps a good thing that Amazon completed the series. The episodes aren't just 'over' the hour but quite a bit longer:

1) 66 mins
2) 68 mins
3) 67 mins
4) 66 mins
5) 63 mins
6) 76 mins (this one didn't even have a 'previously' or 'next' segment)
7) 67 mins
8) 69 mins

It will be interesting how see how they cut it, as I presume they'll be made to fit a 58 min slot.

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

drmih wrote:
It will be interesting how see how they cut it, as I presume they'll be made to fit a 58 min slot.
I've been wondering that as we have watched - we're half way now...I find it's been considerably...grittier and more violent...than before - that is, the violence goes on for longer...so I wonder if that's where the edits will come. Some of the scenes I've had to hide my eyes from...haven't done that for a long time now...

Previous series have been violent, but the scenes are longer, I'm sure...or they seem like it anyway...

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I see that Amazon has now order two more series - I'm starting to appreciate these streaming companies more and more.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

It's certainly great that popular tv series can continue to be produced when the original broadcaster (for whatever reason) decides to stop. It's just a pit that a similar service wasn't around when other popular programmes were canned, especially those that were halted before their proper conclusion.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Very glad to see this back on BBC friday night.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Looks like we're getting it on disc. Amazon list it for end of September. Likely to be uncut, I imagine.
Was 'Whitechapel' any good, by the way?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

The blu-ray release in Europe had the broadcast version, rather than the uncut ones, so the UK will probably get the same but who knows. I enjoyed Whitechapel, although the earlier series were better, as the latter ones had to be more contrived to keep the same main cast involved.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

penfold wrote: Try and seek out Henry Mayhew's London Labour and London Poor from about 15 years before Ripper Street is set.....it's online in various places. If that's any guide, the ornate use of language has been toned down considerably to make it intelligible to modern ears.
Lavishly illustrated too. The books (originally a series of newspaper articles) had many exceptionally lifelike wood engravings of the characters interviewed by Mayhew. They were exceptionally good because they were copied from Daguerrotypes (photographs taken with a plate camera). All of the surviving wood engravings are held at the St Bride Library in Fleet Street, which will close its doors, perhaps permanently, on 21st August, when the library manager (me) is made redundant.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Back with a bang on Friday and it was blummen' brilliant!

I'll even ignore the 'OO' gauge model railway set. :o)
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Haha....yes I think it might have stretched the budget a bit to actually crash two real steam trains! Enjoyed it very much though! Now to catch up on last weeks ep.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Beaker wrote:Back with a bang on Friday and it was blummen' brilliant!

I'll even ignore the 'OO' gauge model railway set. :o)
Made the mistake of asking a transport enthusiast friend whether he'd seen Ripper Street: He mentioned the '00' guage railway set, but went into meltdown about the inaccuracies of the trains used.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Using two Hornby InterCity125's was a bit of a faux pas!

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

:D ah, but wasn't last weeks episode excellent if fairly brutal with Ried's killing of Buckley. I just love Jerome Flynn's part as Blake. The man has charisma in bucket loads. Roll on 9pm tonight!

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Ripper Street is fantasy; I'd almost go so far as to describing it as steampunk. Anyone who takes it's authenticity or historical accuracy too seriously is missing the point.