Good Morning Britain

What's currently on the box
Xrds1895
405 lines

Good Morning Britain

Post by Xrds1895 »

So, have you seen it and what are your views? It doesn't feel like anything particularly new to me. In fact there is a distinct feeling that we may have seen this before. Four presenters all sat along one long desk and the weather presenter stood next to them with a screen behind them? Anyone remember RI: SE? So far though, so good, just as I say nothing particularly new!

Xrds1895
405 lines

Re: Good Morning Britain

Post by Xrds1895 »

A little pre-recorded (I assume) link from the main studio to the regional studio for local news so that the London presenter can say "Good Morning" to the presenter. Three seconds of Ben waiting to be cued before saying "let's get the news travel and weather where you are, good morning Sarah" but otherwise a nice personal touch.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Xrds1895 wrote:A little pre-recorded (I assume) link from the main studio to the regional studio for local news so that the London presenter can say "Good Morning" to the presenter. Three seconds of Ben waiting to be cued before saying "let's get the news travel and weather where you are, good morning Sarah" but otherwise a nice personal touch.
I dunno about the London one but the one he did to the presenter on Central was, as he did it exactly the same before the next local bulletin too!

It's very modern and American, quite refreshing to see... but it made the lives from the market in Leeds seem even more drab and out of place than they would have on GMTV

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

That's the only thing that irkes me, Ben's prerecorded links to the regional news, and just to clarify, the links to the London studio were all exactly the same!

Andie Peters is doing an OB all week, where you can win up to £1000 or a mystery prize...this was revealed today to be an ITV Goodie Bag!

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

I actually got up and watched the first one. Yes the recorded intro to the regional news did look a bit pony. However, I'm up in Granadaland at the moment. They didn't get the roll cue quite right so there was a bit of rather eggy dead air before he said anything. I'm sure in the altogether slicker Merdianland - my home turf - it probably worked rather better. Even after all the cut-backs, Meridian still show the others how it should be done.

Does strike me that it adds a whole extra layer of complexity to the opts which some regions, bless them, struggle with.

Overall I thought GMB was a good effort. I'm not one for screen clutter though. Tickers and all that "screen furniture" are just daft for my money and the cameras on MCU duty moved rather too readily with the presenters' every fidget, like trainees. Especially with the "window keys" this looked very distracting. Learn the Cameraman's instinct and have the bottle to hold your frame and judge when you HAVE to
correct as unobtrusively as possible.

Overall though a very good and rather slick effort. I would say well done all.

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

Controversy today:-

Some woman was playing a "Spin for Cash" game with Andi Peters in an OB, it stopped between £300 and £200, Andi said she won £200, cut back to the studio, they disputed it saying it was just into the £300 zone, close up of the board clearly showed it was just in that zone, the next shot then shows the marker pointing to the £200 zone, a huge gasp from the studio, but no comment only Andi saying "I'm firm but fair, it was £200"

Their Twitter and Facebook sites went into meltdown!

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

I was ruminating on this today: if a a digital channel (eg, Challenge) wanted to re-run real-time 6am repeats of the original Good Morning Britain from 1983 onwards, could they do this? Aside from the questionable commercial potential, would it be achievable rights-wise? Or would each and every item have to be cleared separately?

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Interesting question, and we can try and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth. I've dropped an email to the current owners of the TV-am archive to ask.

I also want to know if the archive contains any of the output from the strike. It would be nice to uncover PasB evidence that would nail down the truth about the never-told-the-same-way-twice Flipper anecdote.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

And the answer is...

"It is possible, but there could be issues with regards to certain elements of the programme in regards to Roland Rat, Timmy Mallet and rights for presenters."

Most likely that would put the financial kybosh on it for any channel that would actually *want* repeat full editions. Or maybe not. It's one of those things that you'd actually have to try and make happen before you'd know if it was really feasible or not.