Great Canal Journeys

What's currently on the box
Private Frazer
625 lines

Great Canal Journeys

Post by Private Frazer »

Missed this Channel 4 programme first time round but glad I saw it now. Of all the people who have presented programmes in and around Britains canals recently, Timothy West and Prunella Scales are the best of company. Invited to take the first boat along the full length of the restored Kennet and Avon Canal, it's a real treat to be able to see them travel it again and tell of its history. But more inspiring is their personal story.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: Great Canal Journeys

Post by Ian Wegg »

Private Frazer wrote:Of all the people who have presented programmes in and around Britains canals recently, Timothy West and Prunella Scales are the best of company.
Absolutely agree. They are a fabulous couple and experts in the subject, being long term canal boat owners. And although they don't overly dwell on it, their personal story is poignant.

One of the gems of the year.

~iw

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Series Two started on Sunday on Channel 4 with son Samuel joining them again, this time helping with locks on the Oxford canal. Some film of women working on canals in the second world war was interesting. They're showing how many of the UK's canals are in more urban environments now and, continuing in that theme, next week's one in London looks quite good. There is always some history still to see and they have time for a glass or two at the end of the day! Repeated: More 4, Saturday 18.45 and Sunday 11.00
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

solidgold25
405 lines

Post by solidgold25 »

I thoroughly enjoyed this all-too-short series, and kudos to the programme makers for producing the best quality pictures my UHD TV has ever seen. In comparison, Countryfile looks like it is shot using 1975 equipment. And don't get me started on This Morning which, as ITV's "flagship" daytime show, is still in blurry upscaled SD and quite unwatchable.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

They just missed my house! Thought I was going to get my manky backyard on C4 :)

If you thought the Falkirk tunnel looked nasty then you should try walking it - always put your umbrella up before entering.

sxbarnes
405 lines

Post by sxbarnes »

West and Scales did a series on canals for HTV c1990. CH4 showed it 1996 ish. Was this a new episode or a rehash of this series?

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Think it was called Water World. The series Great Canal Journeys is different and made recently.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

A new series starts tomorrow (Sunday), 8:00pm Channel 4.

Only 3 episodes sadly.

TRAVEL: Great Canal Journeys
On: Channel 4
Date: Sunday 25th October 2015 (starting in 1 day)
Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

In the first of a new series, actors and canal lovers Timothy West and Prunella Scales go in search of London's lost route to the sea. They navigate from the Thames at Teddington, through the Surrey and Sussex countryside, to Littlehampton on the south coast. The journey takes in four different waterways and four separate boats, as they follow a route that was last fully open two centuries ago. They explore the beautiful, almost forgotten Wey and Arun, where time itself seems to move at a slower pace. Their voyage back through canal history also leads Tim and Pru into their own past. The Wey Navigation takes them through Guildford, to its canal-side theatre where they have been regular performers for fifty years. At the Surrey village of Sutton Abinger, they pay a visit to the picturesque cottage where Pru was born. And for the final leg of the journey, Tim and Pru transfer onto the River Arun, travelling past Arundel Castle to Littlehampton and the English Channel.
(Subtitles, Part 1 of 3, Audio Described, Episode 1, 4 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=254351

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Prunella said that it was June (2015) and the weather records begin "At the start of June an intense low pressure system brought rain and unseasonably strong winds to the UK". Got a bit exciting when they moored for the night but couldn't have been too bad. Timothy also commented on the clear water of The Wey and Arun which looked very tranquil. I really enjoy seeing these new places and hearing their descriptions.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

This years ones:
The Göta Canal, Sweden 20/3/16
Stockholm and the Archipelago 27/3/16
Stratford-upon-Avon 03/4/16
Venice 17/8/16
Amsterdam 24/8/16
Leeds and the Liverpool Canal 31/8/16

I saw last nights one about Amsterdam where it felt that there was a tendency, as the series' progress, for less emphasis on the waterways themselves and more on the sights. That steam pump was impressive that drained the Dutch inland Sea of 100 million tons (was it?) of water. There were quite a few collisions with bridges and boats! Still enjoy watching their journeys.

added:
Bristol and North Devon 23/10/16
Caledonian Canal 6/11/16
Crinan Canal 13/11/16

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

Another new batch started on Sunday, still boating but less on canals- a visit to Bristol and then to the village in Devon where Pru was an evacuee during the War. She seemed livelier and less distressed than previously, I'm pleased to say.
More to come next week with a trip across Scotland.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Wish I'd seen the Leeds-Liverpool one. Did they edit out all the drunks, down-and-outs and drug addicts?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

ghughesarch wrote:Another new batch started on Sunday, still boating but less on canals- a visit to Bristol and then to the village in Devon where Pru was an evacuee during the War. She seemed livelier and less distressed than previously, I'm pleased to say.
More to come next week with a trip across Scotland.
I only got to watch this for the first time with the Bristol episode, and was immediately hooked. What an utterly beautiful programme. I want to watch every episode. It's charming, tender, moving and addictive. And Pru got to mention the hugely obscure film Laxdale Hall when they were in Scotland, probably the first time it's been mentioned by anyone in years!