Christmas Television

What's currently on the box
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Christmas Television

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Given that the old thread is gone, I may as well kickstart this one again. We've already gone through "there's no ghost stories - they should be burnt" and other perennial favourites so I think they can be dispensed with in this one.

Christmas 2012 on the BBC

The BBC unveils another entertaining season of family fun with a bumper selection of festive treats.

With season highlights including a Call The Midwife special, kayaking Olympians, carols with Katherine Jenkins, the return of Miranda and another sparkly Strictly Come Dancing Special, there will be something for everyone this Christmas.

Roger Mosey, Director, BBC Vision, says: “The BBC has a rich tradition of being at the heart of British families’ Christmas celebrations and we believe this year’s line-up is one of the most exciting yet. There’s something for everyone, with special episodes of Call The Midwife, Doctor Who, and Miranda; brand new shows such as Mr Stink and Loving Miss Hatto; a special Superstars reflecting our Olympic year; and programmes that reflect the meaning of Christmas from Goodbye To Canterbury, led by Dr Rowan Williams, to the traditional carol service from King’s College, Cambridge.”

In a web of lies and betrayal, deep secrets begin to unravel in EastEnders this Christmas. Alfie's heart is ripped apart when he uncovers the devastating truth about Kat’s affair but he is shocked when he finds out that Kat’s lover is so close to home. As the Brannings are preparing for Max and Tanya’s wedding, the pressure builds for Max as his 'problem' increases their demands but when someone close to him makes the ultimate betrayal, it looks as though the Brannings world is about to be turned upside down.

A sombre Doctor comes out from the cold in this year's Doctor Who Christmas Special, The Snowmen, just in time to save the world with a little help from a feisty young governess called Clara. The nuns and midwives of Poplar rally round to help an abandoned baby in Call The Midwife.

Miranda kick-starts the festive season with a new job and Agnes sets out to stage a nativity in her local community hall in Mrs Brown’s Boys. The Royle Family return for another quiet chat on their Wythenshawe sofa and chat show favourites, Sarah Millican and Graham Norton end the year in their own inimitable styles.

BBC One begins its countdown to Christmas on air on Tuesday 27 November with Rob Brydon getting the show on the road: catch him after The One Show a 7.30pm.

Following the success of last year’s animated delight, The Gruffalo, Room On The Broom is set to warm the Christmas cockles.

From Mo Farah to the Brownlee brothers, the stars of London 2012 battle it out in kayaks and on the archery field in Superstars, while Fabrice Muamba, JB from JLS and a host of familiar faces compete for this year’s festive Strictly Come Dancing glitter ball.

Katherine Jenkins leads the carols in Songs Of Praise and on Christmas Eve there will be the programme that for many marks the start of Christmas – Carols from King’s. Midnight mass comes live from Leeds Cathedral with the Christmas Morning Eucharist live from St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. More information on the BBC religious schedule is available here.

A stellar cast lead a heart-warming adaptation of the award-winning Mr Stink and CBeebies brings us Peter Rabbit and a Jack And The Beanstalk panto for the little ones.

A star-studded two-part adaptation of William Boyd’s Restless showcases the best of British drama and The Girl tells the story of Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren while a glittering cast chart the incredible story of the pianist Joyce Hatto in Loving Miss Hatto.

Dr Rowan Williams looks back on his career in Goodbye To Canterbury and Sir David Attenborough takes us on a breath-taking journey across the African plains in Africa. Sir Chris Hoy and Sir Patrick Stewart are just a few of the car enthusiasts retracing the steps of their Racing Legends.

The Military Wives look back on their heroic year as Sue Perkins tells the story of the Sound Of Music in Climb Every Mountain. Len Goodman takes us on a twirl around the ballroom and Arena reveals the story of the original screen goddess, Clara Bow, and Sister Wendy.

This year, film premieres will include Up, Shrek: Forever After, A Christmas Carol, The Princess And The Frog, How To Train Your Dragon and Prince Of Persia.

BBC One
BBC Two
BBC Three
BBC Four
BBC Children's

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Re: Christmas Television

Post by Mr_Wolf »

And, on a personal level, these seem quite interesting.

CBeebies Panto: Jack And The Beanstalk

Bringing a sprinkling of magic beans and cries of ‘Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum’ to CBeebies this Christmas is the pantomime, Jack and the Beanstalk. Join all of the CBeebies presenters as they visit an enchanted land for some festive fun with plenty of pantomime frolics and a few CBeebies surprises!

King Justin the Messy is worried. The Royal Family have had a very busy year touring the country for his Jubilee celebrations, but some things are not going to plan. The King's daughter Princess Nina is more concerned with working in her laboratory than finding a prince to marry, and most worryingly, things keep going missing. The King decides that whoever finds the missing items will be rewarded with his daughter's hand in marriage.

Nearby, on a small farm just outside the village lives a boy called Jack with his mum Dame Trott, his sister Jill and their cow Daisy. When Daisy runs out of milk, Dame Trott decides to sell Daisy and sends Jack off to market. On the way, Jack bumps into Fair Deal Fred who agrees to buy Daisy for 6 gold pieces, or so Jack thinks! On his return home Jack discovers that Fred has tricked him and has actually given him beans. Dame Trott is furious. Fortunately, Mr Bloom overhears the rumpus and decides to help the Trott family by planting the beans, using a little bit of compost from the Composterium and a sprinkling of water. But, as he knows, the beans will take a long time to grow. So it's time for a bit of Big World Magic from Tree Fu Tom, Treetops, the Pantomime Fairy and the audience who take their spell poses for the 'Grow Grow Grow' spell. Magically the beans start to grow, grow, grow!

Jack climbs the beanstalk, only to come face to face with the naughty Giant. Will Jack overcome the Giant and retrieve the missing CBeebies things?

Jack and the Beanstalk is narrated by Bernard Cribbins and was performed in front of a live audience at The Palace Theatre in Manchester. Sid Sloane plays the role of Jack; Chris Jarvis is Dame Trott; Cerrie Burnell is Jill; Pui Fan Lee is Treetops, the Pantomime Fairy; Alex Winters is Fair Deal Fred; Justin Fletcher is King Justin the Messy; Katrina Bryan is Princess Nina and Andy Day is the Giant. The Panto also features Ben Faulks as Mr Bloom; Phil Gallagher as Mr Maker; Katy Ashworth as the Giant's cook, Rebecca Keatley as the Royal Harpist, Steve Kynman as Robert the Robot and Dr Ranj as himself.

The Girl

Alfred Hitchcock was at the height of his fame and creativity when, in 1962, he chose an unknown fashion model to star in his most ambitious film - The Birds.

But as he sculpted Tippi Hedren into the perfect Hitchcock blonde of his imagination, he became obsessed with the impossible dream of winning the real woman’s love.

His failure pitched them both into an emotional nightmare and damaged both of their careers. Screenwriter Gwyneth Hughes has interviewed Tippi Hedren and surviving members of Hitchcock’s crew.

This film tells their full tragic story for the first time.

Alfred Hitchcock is played by Toby Jones, Tippi Hedren by Sienna Miller, Alma Hitchcock by Imelda Staunton and Peggy Robertson by Penelope Wilton.

Doctor Who - The Snowmen

Christmas Eve 1892, and the falling snow is the stuff of fairytales.

When the fairytale becomes a nightmare and a chilling menace threatens Earth, an unorthodox young governess, Clara, calls on the Doctor for help. But the Doctor is in mourning, reclusive and determined not to engage in the problems of the universe. As old friends return, will the Doctor really abandon humankind or will he fight to save the world – and Christmas – from the icy clutches of this mysterious menace?

Starring Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman, Richard E Grant and Tom Ward.

Executive producers - Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner; produced by Marcus Wilson; written by Steven Moffat.

Arena - Screen Goddesses

In this BBC Four Christmas special, Arena: Screen Goddesses charts the Hollywood studio era from its beginning through to its collapse in the early 1960s, and through the meteoric rise and fall of the screen goddesses that made it.

With the beginning of Hollywood around 1910, the star system was born, with an archetypal bad girl - the vampish Theda Bara - and the good girl – the blazingly sincere Lillian Gish. From the 1920s, the female stars most remembered today are the vivacious ‘It’ Girl Clara Bow and the seductive siren Louise Brooks; but none made the impact of German born, Marlene Dietrich, an icon of mystery or the ‘Great Garbo’ with perfect features and gloomy introspection.

From the power of Joan Crawford and Bette Davis to the beauty and seductiveness of Rita Hayworth and Ava Gardner, Hollywood studios produced their own brand of beautiful, sassy and confident women. But it wasn’t to last.

Arena: Screen Goddesses uses film extracts and archive footage to chronicle an era that drew to a close with the supreme fame of Elizabeth Taylor and the tragic death of Marilyn Monroe. It will chart those final days of the reign of the goddess on the big screen - screen queens whose images will last forever.

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Vera Lamonte
405 lines

Post by Vera Lamonte »

and Arena reveals the story of the original screen goddess, Clara Bow, and Sister Wendy.
That reads like something out of yet another Radio Times parody.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Still looks like thin gruel to me.

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

Juswuh wrote:Still looks like thin gruel to me.
Gruel that's stale and cold as well.

I see that there are three bio-themed cinema programmes: a couple of clips n' comments jobs - a collective one and an individual one - about female *stars* and a play about a relationship that is based on true events...allegedly, maybe, perhaps.

Meanwhile, the BBC "Director of Vision" (sic) wasn't up to getting his underlings to produce a biodoc about the late Philip Jenkinson who did more to inform, educate and entertain television viewers about films and filmmakers than the creators of the three programmes referred to put together (that is, the BBC couldn't be bothered with commemorating an important television presenter they employed). Jenkinson's death this year produced enough material in tributes and reminiscences to build a detailed biodoc about him and about cinema on TV in the sixties and seventies - if somebody had been bothered to start work on it.

I wonder what "tributes" are planned for Patrick Moore?

Expect archive TV DVD sales figures to be good this year.
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

KennyG
405 lines

Post by KennyG »

Westengland wrote:I wonder what "tributes" are planned for Patrick Moore?
My cynical mind suggests the cancellation of the Sky At Night because he's 'irreplaceable'.

Between Channels
405 lines

Post by Between Channels »

I'm sure they'll bring it back for one-off 'specials' featuring astronomy-loving celebrities (and Brian May).

Phantom Wombat
405 lines

Post by Phantom Wombat »

Two more episodes of Dr. Finlay's Casebook on BBC Alba, with a festive flavour:

24/12/12 (22:05) - The Gifts of the Magi (repeated 26/12)
1/1/13 (22:05) - A Present from Father

(feel free to move to Archive Television of you think it more appropriate)

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Between Channels wrote:I'm sure they'll bring it back for one-off 'specials' featuring astronomy-loving celebrities (and Brian May).
Is Brian May not a celebrity?

Saw a trailer for "Loving Miss Hatto" earlier. It looks good, and it's certainly an interesting story. I was hoping there would be some publicity by now for "Dancing On The Edge", though, the latest Poliakoff project. That was supposed to turn up before the end of the year. It's about a jazz band in London in the thirties.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Mickey wrote: I was hoping there would be some publicity by now for "Dancing On The Edge", though, the latest Poliakoff project. That was supposed to turn up before the end of the year. It's about a jazz band in London in the thirties.
I think there have been a few brief trails for it. I only noticed because a mate of mine did some extra work on it and they filmed some bits at the Black Country Museum where I occasionally work.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Alabaster Russmore
405 lines

Post by Alabaster Russmore »

Hmmmm....there's no ghost stories - they should be burnt.

oh come come. Someone had to say it!

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Beaker wrote:I think there have been a few brief trails for it. I only noticed because a mate of mine did some extra work on it and they filmed some bits at the Black Country Museum where I occasionally work.
Thanks. I had a look on the Beeb's YouTube channel, and it crops up briefly in a "new season drama" trail. I love that thirties/jazz vibe, so I'm hoping it will be good. New television has to be occasionally. ;)

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Post by Ernest Grainger »

Westengland wrote:
Juswuh wrote:Still looks like thin gruel to me.
Gruel that's stale and cold as well.

I see that there are three bio-themed cinema programmes: a couple of clips n' comments jobs - a collective one and an individual one - about female *stars* and a play about a relationship that is based on true events...allegedly, maybe, perhaps.

Meanwhile, the BBC "Director of Vision" (sic) wasn't up to getting his underlings to produce a biodoc about the late Philip Jenkinson who did more to inform, educate and entertain television viewers about films and filmmakers than the creators of the three programmes referred to put together (that is, the BBC couldn't be bothered with commemorating an important television presenter they employed). Jenkinson's death this year produced enough material in tributes and reminiscences to build a detailed biodoc about him and about cinema on TV in the sixties and seventies - if somebody had been bothered to start work on it.
The trouble is that he's virtually forgotten now. It would be interesting, but I can see why they wouldn't do it. I think it would be a hard sell: he was off TV for a very long time before his death. Eric Hobsbawm was apparently very influential, but I'd never heard of him until he died. That isn't to say that not having heard of someone is a reason not to do a TV programme, but I think that cinema critics/presenters aren't held in particularly high-esteem. When Barry Norman dies, there could be something, although he's deflected to Sky nowadays. What about when poor Denis Norden goes? He's had a long and very important career, but I can easily see nothing in the way of a TV tribute being commissioned.

I could maybe see something on Philip appearing on BBC Radio 4 or even 2. This isn't a criticism of the man himself, or your suggestion, just an acknowledgement of the sad way that BBC arts programming has gone; shunted onto BBC4 to make way for endless reality and quiz shows. And they're afraid to do anything remotely different, although that Mrs Mills documentary was a bolt from the blue.

The Arena programme does seem rather broad and basic, though I'll no doubt enjoy it. I suppose there's so little on classic cinema broadcast these days that we should be grateful for anything, as a generation is probably going to grow up not having a clue who Davis, Garbo and Dietrich are.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Post by Ernest Grainger »

Mickey wrote:
Beaker wrote:I think there have been a few brief trails for it. I only noticed because a mate of mine did some extra work on it and they filmed some bits at the Black Country Museum where I occasionally work.
Thanks. I had a look on the Beeb's YouTube channel, and it crops up briefly in a "new season drama" trail. I love that thirties/jazz vibe, so I'm hoping it will be good. New television has to be occasionally. ;)
Me too. It's been mooted so long I thought it wasn't going to appear.

Malcyb
405 lines

Post by Malcyb »

You may be interested to know the 1940's style music used in the BBC-1 Christmas trailers and their "It's Showtime" Idents is various clips taken from the Benny Goodmans track "Sing, Sing, Sing".
As found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyhP_5VfKM

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

The Christmas idents are put on ridiculously early nowadays, by the BBC at least. It's an example of a media development that I don't think anyone has given a name - "event bloat", maybe.