Thunderbirds (2015) First viewing

Post by Razor Eddie »

Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Re: Thunderbirds (2015) First viewing

Post by Doom Patrol »

Mixed feelings about this. While I think there is enormous to bring something new to it with modern technology I am not overly impressed by the craft themselves. They look like toys to me.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Primarily, I'm pleased that that awful movie isn't going to be Thuderbirds' last hurrah.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

First comment:

"I wonder if Thunderbirds could save us all from farage and co.??"

Well, it is The Guardian!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

It'll be cool to see for nostalgia sakes when it does come out. I wonder if anyone in Canada will pick this up for broadcast?

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

Nice effects work in this very very short teaser:

[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/T98fwuR2MDk[/BBvideo]

and even less information at the website http://thunderbirds.com/

Anthony McKay
405 lines

Post by Anthony McKay »

I did the Weta Cave tour in Wellington last week and the only Thunderbirds items on display were some minor bits of landscape dressing for a Japanese and Alpine villages. In the gift shop all there were some Thunderbirds TV21 reprint books. I don't think anything is going to leak out on the series from New Zealand.

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

More info
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model makers behind Lord Of The Rings, The Hobbit and Avatar. The series music has been specially composed by Ben and Nick Foster, best known for their work on Doctor Who and Torchwood.

When disaster strikes and there’s no one else to help, International Rescue answers the call! From their secret island base, this family of highly trained responders can reach every corner of the globe – and beyond – in minutes. With their remarkable cutting edge Thunderbird Vehicles, brothers Scott, Virgil, John, Gordon and Alan Tracy along with head of security Kayo and lead engineer Brains pull off amazing feats of heroism. No rescue is too big and no journey too far to save a life. When duty calls, Thunderbirds are GO.

It’s a new day for Tracy Island. International Rescue is back. #Thunderbirds are GO.

Subscribe for all things Thunderbirds and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Tumblr if you are 13 years old or over
and another video

[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/gDKP_N37OAE[/BBvideo]

Mothy
405 lines

Post by Mothy »

Is there a broadcast date known for this yet?

Cooper S
405 lines

Post by Cooper S »

Anthony McKay wrote:I did the Weta Cave tour in Wellington last week and the only Thunderbirds items on display were some minor bits of landscape dressing for a Japanese and Alpine villages. In the gift shop all there were some Thunderbirds TV21 reprint books.
Did they have this one Tony ?

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ction.html

(I knew my collection of TV21s would come in handy one day !)

Anthony McKay
405 lines

Post by Anthony McKay »

Very - nice, but no they didn't have this one.

Just to show you how small New Zealand is, yesterday I was sat just behind the guy in charge of model work for the new series at Weta.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

This all sounds very odd. Wouldn't it be better to use real people but CGI sets and machines?

Though in 1965 when I was 11 the stories seemed so agonisingly boring and padded out I would be surprised if anyone sat through them. It was the models that were wonderful.

I'm watching them again. It's all very odd but interesting ho wthe stories have to be told through machines with the minimum of character movement. If CGI charcters are used will they be able to walk, be active? It would change the dynamic of the show. The series is like it is because they are puppets. It would be pointless to make it the same with CGI.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

andrew baker wrote:

Though in 1965 when I was 11 the stories seemed so agonisingly boring and padded out I would be surprised if anyone sat through them. It was the models that were wonderful.
Wasn't this because they were originally written as the usual half hour programmes (Stingray etc) then Anderson was told ATV wanted 50 minutes shows so they were padded out to fit?

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Brian F wrote: Wasn't this because they were originally written as the usual half hour programmes (Stingray etc) then Anderson was told ATV wanted 50 minutes shows so they were padded out to fit?
Only the first 9 episodes or so had been completed, or were in production, when that order came down. The majority of episodes of Thunderbirds were scripted as 50 minutes from the outset.

Cooper S
405 lines

Post by Cooper S »

GarethR wrote:
Brian F wrote: Wasn't this because they were originally written as the usual half hour programmes (Stingray etc) then Anderson was told ATV wanted 50 minutes shows so they were padded out to fit?
Only the first 9 episodes or so had been completed, or were in production, when that order came down. The majority of episodes of Thunderbirds were scripted as 50 minutes from the outset.
I wouldn't have said the majority - possibly only about a third of the first season were 50 minute scripts from the outset. There were quite a number of half hour scripts completed, or conceived as half hours before the word came through to extend the length of the episodes. Apart from the nine that reached the studio floor before Christmas 1964, there would probably have been a similar number either written or being written as half hours to keep the show on schedule, and some of these half hour scripts would have been filmed after the plan to extend the episodes was announced, as pre-production would already have been completed.

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

Fans React To 'Terrible' New Thunderbirds Characters Brains, Lady Penelope and Parker get a rough ride.

My 3 year old is exposing me to a lot of kids animation and it has to be said that pretty much all of the 3d CGI animation is pretty lifeless and naff so wasn't expecting much, but would have hoped they'd have given a bit of charm to the character designs. The preview images just look a bit too shiny and new...

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

Some interesting snippets in this new trailer

https://youtu.be/6y2hFqgtjLk

That submarine thing makes an nice nod to another Anderson show...

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Razor Eddie wrote:...

That submarine thing makes an nice nod to another Anderson show...
First thing I thought when I saw that.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Oh my word. I'm still not sure about the Thunderbird craft, but watching that trailer made me feel quite strange. It was like being a big excited kid again. I feel sure I was grinning from ear to ear when they reprised the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Thunderbirds are go.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Reggie Yates hosts a one hour behind the scenes documentary on the new series at 8pm Thursday April 2nd ITV2

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

Amazing what google can find:
The information contained herein is strictly embargoed from all press, online and social media use, non-commercial publication, or syndication until Tuesday 24 March 2015.

Reggie & Thunderbirds: No Strings Attached

Thunderbirds super-fan Reggie Yates is given exclusive, behind-the-scenes access in this one-off documentary special, as one of the most-loved TV series of all time is sensationally re-launched.

Thunderbirds Are Go hits our screens this year, fifty years after the original series first played on ITV – and now Reggie is going to get a sneak preview behind the scenes of this brand new production.

In New Zealand, Reggie gets an exclusive tour of the world famous Weta Workshop (Avatar, King Kong and The Hobbit) by Oscar winning founder Sir Richard Taylor. Then he’s allowed access to the studios where the Weta team have secretly been recreating and reimagining Gerry Anderson’s TV classic – including the world famous Tracy Island.

In London, Reggie joins the all-star cast voicing the new series - including ex-Bond girl and Gone Girl Hollywood star Rosamund Pike (as the new Lady Penelope) and Four Lions / Fonejacker star Kayvan Novak... and gets the opportunity of a lifetime when he’s offered a part in the new series.

We see Reggie recording lines with the legendary David Graham - the voice of Parker in the original Thunderbirds series, who is returning to play the iconic rough diamond butler and chauffeur, half a century on.

Then life-long Thunderbirds fan Reggie is invited along to the recording of a special episode (penned by comedy star and fellow fan David Baddiel) featuring a cameo appearance by original series co-creator and voice of the original Lady Penelope - Sylvia Anderson.

Reggie & Thunderbirds – No Strings Attached will give fans a first chance to see this new series, combining live action backgrounds and sets with cutting edge CGI – and a fitting occasion to remember and celebrate the original ground-breaking series.

Anthony McKay
405 lines

Post by Anthony McKay »

Woohoo! We just got a trailer on TV2 in the middle of 'Big Bang Theory'. 'Coming Soon' mostly animated action.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Info on Fanderson seems to indicate the first 2 episodes ( unless the first one is an hour) goes out on Easter Saturday at 5pm which is a great sensible slot.
But as this is ITV the show moves to saturday mornings at 8am from episode 2 onwards.
I'm hoping these are repeats or they are wasting this more than they wasted New Captain Scarlet

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

My seven year old grandson Luca loved the original series and I ended up having to buy him the complete box set which we then watched together several times.

He didn't notice the padding in early episodes but I was well aware of scenes that consisted solely of car chases to loops of Barry Grey!!

I'm not entirely convinced that bringing it back - in a different form - is such a good idea. (e.g. Crossroads, Upstairs Downstairs) It's a different century - don't we have any brand new ideas?

I shall probably watch (if it doesn't clash with The Voice!) but I'm not sure that I shall enjoy it that much. (Mind you,Luca and I quite enjoyed the live action movie that Gerry Anderson detested so much. But it was a bit of froth really.)

Cooper S
405 lines

Post by Cooper S »

Anthony McKay wrote:Woohoo! We just got a trailer on TV2 in the middle of 'Big Bang Theory'. 'Coming Soon' mostly animated action.
I think that's probably because the action is mostly animated ! They're using 3D model sets, but as I understand it the characters and vehicles are largely created with CG animation.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Apparently it seems the idiots who schedule for ITV don't learn anything and this new multi million pound reboot of one of ITV's most iconic assets will be screened at 8am from episode 2 onwards.

After screwing up Anderson scheduling for 40 years it was possibly no surprise when the clueless people in charge threw New Captain Scarlet away 10 years ago but since then the BBC have allowed new Dr Who to take the schedule by storm on a saturday teatime and TAG would have been a suitable ITV alternative for new and old fans to watch it together .
Why they decided this was only a good idea for the first episode is a mystery.
I had thought ITV had changed their ways and learnt their lessons in the multi channel age- but it seems not.
Many regions were even clever enough to air the show at 7pm in 1965.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

...and after 1965?

Certainly round here the Anderson shows were morning/afternoon filler for school holidays. Until the 1990s BBC2 reruns the Anderson shows appear to have been seen as children's shows, even the later Terrahawks first run was relegated to a pre-Bullseye Sunday afternoon slot, and as I understand it this series is aimed squarely at the children's audience so its no shock to see the timeslot its been assigned.

......and anyway TV schedules are dead with the power of catch up so it doesnt really matter what time its on, if its any good people will find it.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

After 1965 Anderson shows may have been filler on their repeats but Scarlet and Joe 90 both got teatime slots in most places and UFO and Space 1999 also for peaktime slots - at least to start with.
But ITV rarely give shows enough of a chance.

I agree they were filler for all the repeats which illustrates their clueless nature nicely. They threw these shows away on countless occasions but who remembers the drivel they felt worthy for decent slots.

If TAG is right for an 8am slot why bother airing it at 5pm at all?

Clearly TAG is worth a decent slot as was New Captain Scarlet , just like many other shows seen over the years where the initial audience was intended to be kids but of all the shows in ITV's archive that may attract more than a current kids slot it has to be Thunderbirds.

It even gets an 8pm behind the scenes documentary so not sure how that fits into the "aimed purely at kids" theory.

Unfortunately I've never found any of ITV's catchup content to be of anything close to reasonable quality - they don't even offer HD like Iplayer. And that's via Tivo , PS3 and laptop- all very mediocre at best even using the fastest broadband speed available in the UK - 152mb

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

thebeekeeper wrote:it was possibly no surprise when the clueless people in charge threw New Captain Scarlet away 10 years ago
NCS was never going to take the world by storm (the original was hardly a blockbuster), and ITV was the only TV company in the world that bothered to buy it - everybody else passed. Let's be honest, the only Anderson show that the general public really cares about is Thunderbirds, and Anderson was never able to replicate its success. As soon as he moved to the more realistically-proportioned puppets, a lot of the mainstream charm disappeared.
Many regions were even clever enough to air the show at 7pm in 1965
You're seriously trying to compare the 1965 TV landscape with 2015?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

GarethR wrote:
Many regions were even clever enough to air the show at 7pm in 1965
You're seriously trying to compare the 1965 TV landscape with 2015?
That's a valid point. The 'Peter Pan' mentality was just beginning in 1965, and remained newsworthy even into the 'seventies. ("Workers walk out over Magic Roundabout break" &c.)

Today, the difference between an adult activity and one aimed at children is very often marginal.