No BBC1+1 After All

What's currently on the box
thebeekeeper
625 lines

No BBC1+1 After All

Post by thebeekeeper »

So the BBC Trust rejects the idea of a BBC1+1 channel because it's likely to mean less profits for ITV and C5.
I thought the BBC Trust was there to look after the BBC, not protect the competition.
While I don't often use +1 channels their reason for scrapping the idea seems very strange

Beaker
625 lines

Re: No BBC1+1 After All

Post by Beaker »

A shame there isn’t a BBC -1…you could make a killing on the lottery.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Is that one of the ones that The Grumbleweeds rejected Beaker?

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

wittoner wrote:Is that one of the ones that The Grumbleweeds rejected Beaker?
Ha! That's probably the sort of crap they'd have paid top dollar for!
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I thought it was quite funny. I chuckled. :-D

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Doesn't that negate one of the main reasons for dropping BBC3 (or was it 4)?

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Brian F wrote:Doesn't that negate one of the main reasons for dropping BBC3 (or was it 4)?
No, BBC One+1 was announced before BBC3's closure was. Then when the plan to close BBC3 happened the announced that +1 would fill BBC3's airtime (with an extension of CBBC until 8pm). So it wasn't a reason for BBC3's closure, more a consequence of it.

The question that remains though is what will the BBC do with the airtime/bandwidth left by the closure of BBC3?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Teleshopping?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Scary wrote:
Brian F wrote:Doesn't that negate one of the main reasons for dropping BBC3 (or was it 4)?
No, BBC One+1 was announced before BBC3's closure was. Then when the plan to close BBC3 happened the announced that +1 would fill BBC3's airtime (with an extension of CBBC until 8pm). So it wasn't a reason for BBC3's closure, more a consequence of it.

The question that remains though is what will the BBC do with the airtime/bandwidth left by the closure of BBC3?
I read it (at the time) that they had <i>wanted</i> a BBC1+1 and that the end of BBC3 was the way to get it,. A change of emphasis in the announcement making it seem it was the reason to me.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Quite right too! The very fact that, with iPlayer and catch-up services and PVRs, some fuck-wits at the BBC actually thought that BBC-1+1 could, in any way, be justified, shows that they still need teaching a lesson. Frittering away channel space on any species of +1 should be an absolute no-no for the BBC. If commercial networks can justify it commercially, fine, that's their affair. But wasting licence money on what can only be described as an indulgence is unjustifiable. Especially when they're proposing to discontinue other, distinct services.

I don't begrudge a penny of my license. They could double it and I'd still gladly cough up just for the radio - I hardly watch TV and when I do it's usually Network DVDs/BluRays. But this kind of irritating foolishness really makes me think they deserve all the cuts and then some! The less they have to spend the more careful they might be about it!

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I agree with you, but to be fair, I bet it was the results of some focus group members who were reliant on other +1 channels - Channel 4 is a PSB and has one - and were miffed the BBC didn't. I can understand the idea of using otherwise dead airwave space for a +1 that IIRC doesn't cost any more for content as it within a short time-space, but the discontinuation of BBC3 as a traditional broadcast channel to go online will still mean money being spent on programming, so even with CBBC getting more hours, you'd think that the remainder would be better employed keeping BBC3 and showing that programming.

TV has created its own problems with +1 channels, all those other channels that repeat stuff endlessly and on demand viewing as people are now conditioned to not think about what might be shown when, or plan a little to set a timer - they just demand it when they want to, or think, oh, it'll be on again. That is all fine and dandy, but often I found things I wouldn't have otherwise considered watching because I tuned in early, or the timer was padded and I got a bit of the programme after, You get what you want and only what you want from pulling stuff up on demand. With so many channels it is far more difficult to find things of interest and sort out the repeats from the new so I too rely more on DVD releases than I do on current broadcasts.