Endemol and other ravenous beasts

What's currently on the box
Cole
625 lines

Endemol and other ravenous beasts

Post by Cole »

Last year, I recall an internet article (sadly, I can't find it now) where the controller of Channel 4 foretold that US companies are buying up British production companies and this would cause problems with creativity, but I dimissed this as a bit hypocritical as Channel 4 and it's various off-shoot rely so heavily on US imports.

However, I have just watched the first episode of River and noted that at the end it was a co-production between Netflix and Kudos. I then noticed that Kudos (Shine?) was now an Endemol company. "Oh b@ll@cks!" was my first thought, "another British company selling itself overseas," and to add insult it's to that lot that gave us Big Brother. (It still hurts about Cadbury's). I'd already noticed that the last series of New Tricks had a small Warner Bros logo on it's last frame. I also believe Tiger Aspect have also been bought up by Endemol, Left Bank to Sony and Red to Studio Canal. Thus it does indeed appear that foreign investors and buying up British production companies.

Therefore, I have a question for you good people: does it matter?

Does it really matter that home grown production companies are becoming foreign owned or does this signal a bleak future for British TV production (aside of the danger to the BBC) and most importantly, the drama?

GarethR
HD

Re: Endemol and other ravenous beasts

Post by GarethR »

Given that foreign drama (mostly American and Scandinavian) is currently shitting over UK drama, I'd say it's no bad thing.

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

It depends on the company. Some, like Netflix, seems to be quite good at letting the creatives do what they've been hired to do. Others, who shall remain nameless, seem to want to refer every decision to a generic media executive who doesn't actually reside in the same country, and that's when things start to fall down.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

GarethR wrote:Given that foreign drama (mostly American and Scandinavian) is currently shitting over UK drama, I'd say it's no bad thing.
A certain amount of fairness about that comment, but Endemol?!?

Mind you, if UK drama were that bad, why bother investing in it?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I don't think it matters a damn.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

"Endemol" always sounds more like a patent medicine for bowel complaints than a TV production company...
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

In this case I don't think it matters.

I wouldn't want ITV itself owned by foreigners, though, any more than I wanted them to own Cadbury, Mini, Bentley etc.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Cole wrote: However, I have just watched the first episode of River and noted that at the end it was a co-production between Netflix and Kudos. I then noticed that Kudos (Shine?) was now an Endemol company. "Oh b@ll@cks!" was my first thought, "another British company selling itself overseas,"
It hadn't been a British company for a few years, before it merged with Endemol, Shine was owned by 21st Century Fox.
and to add insult it's to that lot that gave us Big Brother.
and lots of decent stuff that isn't Big Brother of course

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Scary wrote:
and to add insult it's to that lot that gave us Big Brother.
and lots of decent stuff that isn't Big Brother of course
Yeah, I've never really got that complaint. Sure, Endemol does produce a lot of populist crap, but the same can be said of the BBC and the ITV regions BITD.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I liked Total Wipeout. And Pointless Celebrities is ok. Not normal Pointless, though, which to me seems dragged out and boring.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Not that it matters now, seeing as the conversation went off in a different direction, but I've found the original article:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-08- ... nel-4-boss