The Sound Of Music Live

What's currently on the box
solidgold25
405 lines

The Sound Of Music Live

Post by solidgold25 »

Much as I really enjoyed this live ITV musical last week, my television struggled a bit with fast motion. The show "looked" like live video but there was definitely something different about it - could it be a 'filmise' plug-in, or maybe it was it being shot at 60p or 24p ready for a worldwide Blu-ray transfer?

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Re: The Sound Of Music Live

Post by Paul Hayes »

When I briefly flicked over to see what it was like, I didn't think it had the "live video look" at all, so I assumed it was being done on some sort of progressive format - which rather distanced me from it, as I think if you're doing something live it *should* have the old-fashioned "live look".

Roll ACR
625 lines

Re: The Sound Of Music Live

Post by Roll ACR »

I suppose it depends what telly you're watching on and how it's set up. It looked to me like it was being shot 25psf. Which on a properly set up television, with all the "clever" features switched off and disabled, will have the usual stroboscopic film look. However, if you're watching on a new telly which hasn't been fettled properly then it'll probably be interpolating intermediate frames and smoothing the motion, except when it struggles on particular shots.

I agree, anything like that sort of live "event" should be 50i/p for the ostensibly live and immediate feeling it gives, seeing it as the eye would see it. The moment you go 25p you immediately distance the audience behind a layer of affectation and a "look" not usually or readily associated with live television. Besides which, as explained, by the time it gets into people's homes it's increasingly likely to just look like horrible shuttered video anyway...