Page 1 of 1

Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 pm
by Razor Eddie
In broadcasting circles, the so-called “camera left” position signals seniority, with viewers – conditioned by a lifetime of reading from left to right – believed to subliminally associate the left-most presenter with pre-eminence.
Really?

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:54 am
by Ian Dickerson
Yes, but it's nothing to do with reading from left to right. More to do with the infuence of Stealers Wheel; "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right..."

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:18 am
by Roll ACR
Nonsense, you only have to watch Naga Munchetty on "Breakfast" to realise screen position is irrelevant. She's got the programme by the scruff of the neck whoever she's sat next to. Plus, she doesn't wear "brightly coloured dresses". She's refreshingly anti-glam and very highly skilled.

I must confess to being rather mystified by the appointment of Dan though, he's lacklustre at best but inoffensive I guess.

This hooh-hah is the usual chorus of clap-trap egged on by dear old Miriam who, IMHO is the last person who should be given any credence.

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:34 pm
by Beaker
Roll ACR wrote:Nonsense, you only have to watch Naga Munchetty on "Breakfast" to realise screen position is irrelevant. She's got the programme by the scruff of the neck whoever she's sat next to. Plus, she doesn't wear "brightly coloured dresses". She's refreshingly anti-glam and very highly skilled.

I must confess to being rather mystified by the appointment of Dan though, he's lacklustre at best but inoffensive I guess.
Agreed. We think Naga Munchetty is great, the best breakfast TV presenter by a country mile and probably doesn't get the credit she deserves.

The new bloke, though, is almost entirely devoid of personality.

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm
by Bob Richardson
Beaker wrote:
The new bloke, though, is almost entirely devoid of personality.
He'll only be working Mon-Sat. As a practising Christian there's apparently a clause in his contract which says he does not have to work on the Sabbath. That was also the case during his stint with BBC Sport.

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:26 am
by Beaker
Bob Richardson wrote:
Beaker wrote:
The new bloke, though, is almost entirely devoid of personality.
He'll only be working Mon-Sat. As a practising Christian there's apparently a clause in his contract which says he does not have to work on the Sabbath. That was also the case during his stint with BBC Sport.
Oh right, I only watch it on weekdays anyway.

I'm sure they could have someone with more personality.....or maybe someone with a personality, at least.

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 pm
by Nick Cooper 625
Beaker wrote:We think Naga Munchetty is great, the best breakfast TV presenter by a country mile and probably doesn't get the credit she deserves.
When I wake up to a serious new days, I do breath a sigh of relieve if it's Naga on the sofa. Louise Minchin, on the other hand....

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:11 pm
by Beaker
Apparently its Piers Moron on ITV....thats enough to make me vomit into my museli.

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 am
by Brian F
Of course when used to reading left to right your eyes always stray to the right and onto the female presenter no matter what the one to the left is doing :-) At least mine do!!!

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:45 pm
by Beaker
Stop that or you'll go blind, I tell you!

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:36 pm
by Steve Williams
Bob Richardson wrote:He'll only be working Mon-Sat. As a practising Christian there's apparently a clause in his contract which says he does not have to work on the Sabbath. That was also the case during his stint with BBC Sport.
He's only doing Mondays to Wednesdays on Breakfast in any case - as they have a team of presenters they generally only work three days a week, presumably so there's no undisputed number one and so there isn't a massive chasm when they leave.

It's true Dan Walker doesn't work on Sundays, but I'm not sure it needs to be said he'll only be working Monday to Saturday? Clearly he's not going to be working seven days a week. I don't work Sundays either, not for religious reasons, just because I don't want to. He works enough on the other six days a week anyway, including at BBC Sport where he's still working, presenting Football Focus and other programmes. Not working Sundays is hardly a major barrier anyway, I know sport goes on every day but he's versatile enough to cover all sports. Probably better to have him who can cover everything, six days a week, then someone who can work seven days a week but only knows about football.