Time Team - extended episode

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

Time Team - extended episode

Post by ozsat »

My TiVo indicated two episodes of 'Time Team' currently airing which I don't recall being shown before. This is on UKTV Yesterday.

It recorded Part 1 of 'The Somme's Secret Weapon' over the weekend and has Part 2 waiting for Wednesday.

I don't remember this ever being in two parts and the Channel 4 website has the single 47 minutes version as On Demand. I checked that and it was quite different to the version of Yesterday. In fact it appeared to be a very edited version to what Yesterday are showing.

The end of the Yesterday version says that in part 2 they will be building the weapon.

It turns out there is a US version that runs at 83-minutes and is sometimes shown in two-parts - but that used the title "Breathing Fire: Secret Weapon of the Somme".

When I re-checked the opening of the Yesterday version - although called Time Team in the EPG - there was no mention to Time Team in the credits - not even the regular music. The opening titles were for "Breathing Fire: Secret Weapon of the Somme".

I can't find an reference to the two-part of full version being shown before in the UK - does anyone now if it has been on before?

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Re: Time Team - extended episode

Post by Doom Patrol »

I think that was a so called Time Team special and not part of the series proper. I remember seeing it some time ago.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

It was Special No. 47 which went out in 2011, but my UK broadcast version is just over 47 mins.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Yes- it was under the Time Team Special banner - but the UKTV version is a two-parter and is not the one shown by Channel 4.
Doom Patrol wrote:I think that was a so called Time Team special and not part of the series proper. I remember seeing it some time ago.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Very curious. I can't honestly remember what it ran to on C4. It may have been longer than an hour. Which I would have thought was about right for a special. They always seemed a bit thin without the regulars. Possibly that might push it up to 80 minutes or thereabouts. But I also seem to remember that they used the title 'Breathing Fire" etc. So possibly it's the original episode split.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Explanation

Here
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Quite a long thread - describes the regular and extended versions of the documentary - but doesn't mention if the full version ever got shown in the UK before now.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Known imperfections notwithstanding, the BFI database shows only the short Time Team Special version being screened in 2011.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I found out about an earlier Channel 4 programme, than Time Team, called 'Time Signs' from 1991 (with a narrator, Mick Aston and Phil Harding) and have been enjoying watching the four 25min episodes. Nice, slower!, introduction to Archaeology.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Time Team is coming back. With Sir Tony Robinson an honorary Patron (and no mention of Phil Harding so far) Tim Taylor, Carenza Lewis, Stewart Ainsworth, Helen Geake, John Gater at al. are, at first, to investigate the Broughton Estate in Oxfordshire, belonging to the Fiennes family. Great News!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

It's a patreon sponsored thing but no Tony or Phil (he lives close by and is always great to chat to - he's working on the Waterloo dig but obviously can't travel at the moment)- so a bit thin on personalities, as Mick and Victor are no longer with us.