A Family at War on Talking Pictures TV

What's currently on the box
Andy Marriott
625 lines

A Family at War on Talking Pictures TV

Post by Andy Marriott »

From Sunday 11th June at 18:00, got 'em all on DVD but it's an interesting development as these are from the Granada archive...

Mark
Committee

Re: A Family at War on Talking Pictures TV

Post by Mark »

Thanks, that's interesting...Granada programmes now, eh?

Never got round to getting the DVD's for this one, so will have to give it a watch.

I actually saw some of the filming, around 1970, two soldiers or sailors, staggering down a street, arm in arm, drunk and singing, then enter a house.

Such a long time since I last saw it, I can't remember which episode it was in!

A night time shoot, IIRC.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Thwaity
405 lines

Post by Thwaity »

I was looking at this collection from the Netherlands:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-At-War- ... ily+at+war

Its complete and only £28.99. Has anyone got this version at all? It says its uncut and at the price it seems a steal!

Steve

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thwaity wrote:I was looking at this collection from the Netherlands:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-At-War- ... ily+at+war

Its complete and only £28.99. Has anyone got this version at all? It says its uncut and at the price it seems a steal!

Steve
Didn't know about it...sounds okay though.

Was hoping Network might pick it up (along with the OOP "Cribb") also Granada, so maybe TPTV will screen that one too.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Thwaity wrote:Its complete and only £28.99. Has anyone got this version at all? It says its uncut and at the price it seems a steal!
This post of mine on Roobarbs may help you decide...

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showth ... ost2104363

Beware that the Acorn set has had a lot of edits made to it mostly music-related, but also vintage recordings of speeches have been snipped out.

One second series episode, which features a visit to a dance hall, runs a good ten minutes short on the UK set.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That may well be the reason I never bothered with that set, it was a while a go now.

PeteH
405 lines

Post by PeteH »

Yes, early indications are such that the episodes being shown on TPTV are unedited. The presence of Ad Caps perhaps gives it away! Doing a very quick comparison, Episode 1 on TPTV appears to come out at about 2 minutes longer than the Acorn version. Todays episode (Ep. 3) on the Acorn set is barely 47 minutes long, so if we get the full 52 minutes, then that's another positive indicator.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I would be very surprised if this run is edited at all.

Not having seen the series for a long time, it was interesting to catch up with it again.

The writing is very good, I enjoyed the second episode, a very good cast with Tennial Evans and John Ronane, a nice little piece set in the Spanish Civil War.

On a technical note, in episode 3, Patrick Troughton makes his first appearance on film only.