Hard Sun

What's currently on the box
The Post Office
405 lines

Hard Sun

Post by The Post Office »

Just finished watching the last episode of this series (all episodes are up on iPlayer). I thought it was very poor. I don't want to give anything away as only episode 1 has actually been broadcast up to now. The writer thinks there are five series in this - I'll be surprised if it gets another commission.
By the way, couldn't the contents of 1 USB flash drive in the hands of a computer hacker/geek (or in fact anyone with access to a computer) be copied to numerous flash drives? ...Just a thought.

drmih
625 lines

Re: Hard Sun

Post by drmih »

I was quiet enthusiastic after the first episode but then it just ended up being about how it triggered the nutters and tracking them down. Each episode seemed to be obliged to have a keystone cop fight between the two leads.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

I watched the first episode and thought it was appalling. I won't bother to watch any further.

Predictable plot, some very dodgy acting and like many I expect, I was just waiting for the appropriate Bowie song to play... and yes, it did. What a surprise! It seemed particularly tasteless, with his recent death, to use it to accompany dross such as this.

I was also irritated by the tediously gratuitous violence, such as seen on endless American shows. You know the sort; two people beating the living daylights out of one another, both with seemingly superhuman powers of stamina, as any normal person would be permanently floored by a single blow delivered with such force.

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

I think it would have been better to focus on ordinary people and how they dealt with it (as in the song) rather than yet another government cover up plot. Jim Sturgess really is an appallingly bad actor isn't he? Once I remembered where I'd seen him before - 'Close to the Enemy' which I also gave up on mainly due to his wooden performance - I couldn't take much more. Yet he seems to be thought highly of. Odd.
Andy Hurwitz

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Watched the first episode with a mounting sense of incredulity that something so utterly predictable and with so many plot holes had reached the screen. Like most conspiracy "thrillers" it fails because it relies of those behind the conspiracy being both all-powerful and utterly inept at the same time, as witnessed by how it managed to get the lead characters into a place where they could be bumped off, and then utterly failing to do so.

I also think it's actually pretty irresponsible to depict the Hard Sun threat as having it's own "truth movement," because it just adds credence to the nutters who believe in conspiracy theories in the real world.

This seems to be yet another case of the BBC giving free rein to someone on the grounds of past successful, wroingly assuming they'd be up to it. The same thing happened with that dreadful Outcasts series, and the God-awful 2009 version of The Day of the Triffids, not to mention the horrendous remake of Survivors.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]