It's the cops wot dunnit! Crime drama spoilers

What's currently on the box
Cole
625 lines

Re: It's the cops wot dunnit! Crime drama spoilers

Post by Cole »

The last episode of Van Der Valk featured a corrupt officer who had been imprisoned; although we never see the person, his son operates some crime gang.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I've just seen the latest BBC promotional video giving interpretations of the acronym "BBC" over appropriate programme clips. One of them is "Bloomin' Bent Coppers".

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:35 pm
I've just seen the latest BBC promotional video giving interpretations of the acronym "BBC" over appropriate programme clips. One of them is "Bloomin' Bent Coppers".
A bit late on this one, but I finally caught this before Holby City this week. Ironically, this episode of Holby featured a group of the regulars being held at gunpoint by a drug dealer's (and patient) ex-boyfirend where the line was dropped that said gunman had been previously thrown out of the police.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

An interesting storyline on Casualty this week. They've never been particularly fond of the police in this series, but gymnastics on this one was bizarre.

Two on-foot police officers (highly unlikely these days) - one female, one male - are radioed about a suspect who immediately appears in front of them (incidentally, one was Andrew Lancel who was DI Manson in The Bill). They give chase but the male officer falls over a wheelie bin. The female officer continues the chase alone and corners the suspect. The suspect then advances on her...

The male officer then arrives to find the female officer spluttering and the suspect unconscious. The suspect later dies of head injuries and the other officer tries to get to the bottom of what happened.

It transpires that the female officer had been previously raped by the suspect and when he advanced on her saying "I can do what I like to you!" she flipped and whacked him with her baton.

Eventually she admits to the other officer what happened, showed him her body cam footage and said she didn't report the rape because no one would have believed her. An eavesdropping nurse said that she did and it sounded like she was suffering from PTSD from the rape.

And then the jaw-dropping bit... the same nurse later complains that if she had reported the rape, maybe the suspect wouldn't have been out raping other women.

Only last week a storyline featured a domestic violence victim going back to her abusive husband, but at no point did anyone heartlessly tell her that the beatings were her own fault for staying; but to judge a rape victim for not coming forward was harsh, especially for Casualty's standards.

I can only surmise that it was because the character was a police officer that the writers felt they could, effectively, apportion a bit of victim-blaming.

I'd like to see what others think of this and if I have read this wrong.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

This is one of the reasons why I stopped watching television.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

On the same day as my last posting RE: Casualty, I watched Unforgiven. I praised this series earlier in this thread, but this too has fallen to the tired trope.

This is the end of the episode reveal, but it's not really a plot spoiler.

All five characters, who are introduced in the first episode, are revealed as all having passed-out from Hendon ...