Coming soon on Freeview Channels

What's currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by paul.austin »

Gollywogs were totally within the political mainstream at the time of "Bless This House". And talking about Blyton, one guy pointed to a 1966 Guardian article criticizing her... but the Guardian wasn't mainstream in 1966.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

paul.austin wrote:Gollywogs were totally within the political mainstream at the time of "Bless This House". And talking about Blyton, one guy pointed to a 1966 Guardian article criticizing her... but the Guardian wasn't mainstream in 1966.
Wasn't it? One of only eight (nine if you count the Daily Worker) national daily newspapers, and it had a circulation higher than The Times (270,000 against 254,000).

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Obviously known as the Manchester Guardian before 1959, and printed in Manchester, it had started printing in London by the end of 1961. I can't find my copy of the official history, so can't remember when the editorial offices were moved to London, but I am sure it was before 1966. Certainly a mainstream national paper by then.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

stearn wrote:Obviously known as the Manchester Guardian before 1959, and printed in Manchester, it had started printing in London by the end of 1961. I can't find my copy of the official history, so can't remember when the editorial offices were moved to London, but I am sure it was before 1966. Certainly a mainstream national paper by then.
When did it become the 'newspaper arm' of the BBC? Presumably earlier than 1966, given the Blyton 'critique'.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Bless This House" has come to the end of it's run now.

They did show one of the two postponed episodes, with the offending images on the kids scarves covered by de-focus blobs!...but for some reason they haven't done the same with the other one.

They also blobbed a jigsaw that Sid was doing, of a topless woman in another episode.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Nothing like 'de-focus blobs' to draw attention.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

They refuse to let the past be complicated. Anything good a person or show may have done is erased because of the bad things they did. People are not allowed to be capable of both good and evil.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Nobody is 'evil' for having a gollywog. Certainly nobody in a 1966 episode of Bless This House intended any ill-feeling to anyone by including this everyday symbol of childhood in a passive capacity.
You can MAKE a gollywog offensive; the one on my keyring was rendered such during the US Obama administration by being referred to as 'Mr. President', but that was simply a sick joke. A magpie was treated similarly, on the grounds of being half-black, half white.
Perhaps Tony Bastable ought to be 'de-focussed'?

Interesting point... Did the person who 'blobbed-out' the gollywog think that it resembled a person from Africa?
What horrible minds some folk have.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:Nothing like 'de-focus blobs' to draw attention.
Indeed, very distracting.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:Nobody is 'evil' for having a gollywog. Certainly nobody in a 1966 episode of Bless This House intended any ill-feeling to anyone by including this everyday symbol of childhood in a passive capacity.
You can MAKE a gollywog offensive; the one on my keyring was rendered such during the US Obama administration by being referred to as 'Mr. President', but that was simply a sick joke. A magpie was treated similarly, on the grounds of being half-black, half white.

Interesting point... Did the person who 'blobbed-out' the gollywog think that it resembled a person from Africa?
It's a general thing by the look of it, I seem to remember TPTV blobbed out Bernard Bresslaw's Golly doll in the film "The Ugly Duckling", I think they did anyway.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

You wonder if some of these "minority civil rights " groups are genuinely offended or they just want the media publicity to get more funds and members...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Another odd thing of recent years is some Sat channels certifying Archive TV progs before they start.

With that and all the warnings as well, they really have to cover there backs with old shows now.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

My feeling is that just because a minority group objects to something, that doesn't mean they should get their way. My generation was probably the last generation in Australia to have uncontroversial nativity plays in my kindergarten class.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Shadows Of Fear" finished tonight, with the half hour 1973 episode ( almost a proto-"Tales Of The Unexpected").

They didn't show "The Lesser Of Two", so I guess it was the subject matter after all.

BrentCleever21
405 lines

Post by BrentCleever21 »

Mark wrote:
brigham wrote:Nobody is 'evil' for having a gollywog. Certainly nobody in a 1966 episode of Bless This House intended any ill-feeling to anyone by including this everyday symbol of childhood in a passive capacity.

It's a general thing by the look of it, I seem to remember TPTV blobbed out Bernard Bresslaw's Golly doll in the film "The Ugly Duckling", I think they did anyway.
TPTV is currently screening 'Tomorrow At Ten' in which Robert Shaw notoriously kidnaps a child and leaves him with a time bomb hidden in a Golliwog. In many ways symbolic of the fact that the toys were regarded innocently by children but were and are weaponised by people seeking to put forward all shades of opinion.
The Patrick Wymark Boardroom http://www.wymark.org.uk

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

paul.austin wrote:Can't show Gollywogs anymore, even in repeats of old tv. They got rid of them in Enid Blyton in the eighties.
Gollywogs feature heavily in the John Gregson film Tomorrow at Ten which has been shown a number of times on TPTV - including earlier today.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

They survived on Roberston Jam until this century, just.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:"Shadows Of Fear" finished tonight, with the half hour 1973 episode ( almost a proto-"Tales Of The Unexpected").

They didn't show "The Lesser Of Two", so I guess it was the subject matter after all.
Do you reckon they filmed the first 10 in 1970 (finishing with the terrific Come into My Parlour)
and the half hour one was either never completed to an hour slot or perhaps a pilot for a half hour show?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Mark wrote:"Shadows Of Fear" finished tonight, with the half hour 1973 episode ( almost a proto-"Tales Of The Unexpected").

Do you reckon they filmed the first 10 in 1970 (finishing with the terrific Come into My Parlour)
and the half hour one was either never completed to an hour slot or perhaps a pilot for a half hour show?
Looks like it, with "Come Into My Parlour" caught in colour strike.

The 73 episode was possibly made in 71, there didn't seem to be enough plot to stretch to an hour, so possibly it was meant to be a change of format.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Looks like TPtv are not showing Freewheelers final season 8 ...does anyone know why? ie Is it all there?

I have enjoyed being united with this show again..yes forget about some of the acting and short cuts, I just loved the enthusiasm and what other film/prog has contained a mad Swedish lady going take over?

Now I wonder whatever happened to Katarina Granlund?

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

fatcat wrote:Looks like TPtv are not showing Freewheelers final season 8 ...does anyone know why? ie Is it all there?
All of series 8 exists as off-air recordings from The Children's Channel but only episodes 1 and 10 have masters.

TPTV used a domestic recording mixed with original location footage for the one missing master of series 7 but I guess it's not economical to do that for 11 episodes of series 8.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
All of series 8 exists as off-air recordings from The Children's Channel but only episodes 1 and 10 have masters.

TPTV used a domestic recording mixed with original location footage for the one missing master of series 7 but I guess it's not economical to do that for 11 episodes of series 8.
Thanks Ian ...so sad it got all the way to the Children's Channel and then presumably randomly got dumped for no rhyme or reason.
Apparently missing season 4 was set in Cyprus...eat your heart out ITC LOL

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Didn't the masters get lost when they were being moved to another archive?

It's lucky the TCC off-airs exist.

Having gone to all that trouble with series 7, you would think it would be worth releasing by Renown on DVD, ( as with "Tell Me Another").

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

Talking pictures tv are screening the existing episodes of
Sunday night at the London Palladium starting
In January - On a Sunday night !

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I've already done that!

Will watch them again though, wonder if they will show any of the 70's ones? ( although presumably not the Nureyev edition!).

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Just a quickie

CBS Justice are showing the original Perry Mason shows..so far around 6pm week days

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Not seen the originals for a very long time.

Always meant to check out the story that early on in the series he lost a case, and there was so many complaints they never did it again.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Not seen the originals for a very long time.

Always meant to check out the story that early on in the series he lost a case, and there was so many complaints they never did it again.
Ah that explains why you have an idea at the beginning that Perry will get his man and all will be well in the world....it was the viewers darn fault LOL. Contrast that with a Gideon's Way ep of the same era and a murderer was allowed to get away with it..presumably, that was one that was difficult to sell overseas?

Here's hoping that CBS uk will come up with The Twilight Zone

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:Not seen the originals for a very long time.

Urban myth alert...

http://www.perrymasontvshowbook.com/pmb_c209.htm

(Spoilers)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

So, not really loses then, the US really didn't like negative endings back then.

Fatcat brings up an interesting point about "Gideon's Way", that would be the Jack Hedley one, they must have sold that episode as well, but I wonder if they filmed an alternate ending for it.

They did do that for some UK TV plays and series.

Even films like "The Day The Earth Caught Fire", by adding the celebratory bells at the end, rather than let the audience decide the outcome.