Coming soon on Freeview Channels

What's currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

PBS America !! has suddenly appeared on my Ch.91..for some reason

Only limited hours ..but looks like the sort of place you can pick up excellent docs like 'Vietnam' ..

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

fatcat wrote:PBS America !! has suddenly appeared on my Ch.91..for some reason

Only limited hours ..but looks like the sort of place you can pick up excellent docs like 'Vietnam' ..

SD on a HD mux in London, today's programs starting at 1pm.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Just turned on TPTV and they’re showing The Day After again. Good timing!?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

On, TPTV's Sunday night screening of "SNATP", the first part was in the wrong ratio, for some reason.

Also, there is a strange jutter effect on VT shows, but not present of any films or Filmed TV shows.

Been there for a while now.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

That effect sounds like they haven't set the circuits (Aspect ratio control?) for interlaced video and are treating it like film, or they have the field dominance set wrong so the later field is sent before the earlier one of the frame, which doesn't matter on film.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Mark wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:00 am
On, TPTV's Sunday night screening of "SNATP", the first part was in the wrong ratio, for some reason.

Also, there is a strange jutter effect on VT shows, but not present of any films or Filmed TV shows.

The judder could be down to settings on your equipment. If you have something like "Intelligent Frame Creation" or whatever name your manufacturer calls it switched on it can cause these types of effects. It removes the film like appearance of film to give it a smooth video like image. I've not tried it on actual video content myself. Several well known US movie stars including Tom Cruise have begun a campaign to get manufacturers to sell their sets without it being on by default which is the current situation. The campaign is also to inform viewers of how they can view things correctly

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:00 am

How is the frames per second set up ? you should be aiming for 25 fps ..Some people assume that old UK interlaced video is 50fps...it is not it has 50 'fields' a second but not frames..... there is also a possibility that its default setting is US spec 30fps.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's definitely not my side of things, and I must admit, I didn't notice it on "Hazell" last night, so perhaps they have corrected it.

It was a jitter whenever some one moved.

A few years ago, I was watching something on a channel, can't remember either, but every night the picture and sound went out of synch and kept getting worse, I emailed the channel and they were so grateful, and it was corrected, so these thing rarely seem to be noticed.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:32 pm
It's definitely not my side of things, and I must admit, I didn't notice it on "Hazell" last night, so perhaps they have corrected it.

It was a jitter whenever some one moved.

A few years ago, I was watching something on a channel, can't remember either, but every night the picture and sound went out of synch and kept getting worse, I emailed the channel and they were so grateful, and it was corrected, so these thing rarely seem to be noticed.

I think Freeview has been messing around with their transmitters since around Xmas (something to do with mobile phones) I had a couple of channels keep breaking up completely.. but you might just have enough juice in your signal to 'just about' keep it running, when the sound goes out of sync it is usually because video frames are corrupted or just gone missing.

Apparently another big Freeview retune is coming soon for some areas so check the site.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

The biggest pain with Freeview is the retuning. Even if they don't add new channels and just change things a bit they tell you to retune but in most cases you lose all your timer recording settings and the Favourite Channels list needs to be setup again. My Bluray recorder went though this only last week.

Not sure about the whole country but certainly in parts of the Anglia region the channels on Freeview are situated along the whole spectrum from 21-68 but in the analogue days all channels were in Group A only which was 21 to around 36. Channel 5 was the first to mess that up being on 39 but it did mean that people who had the traditional group a aerial could not get decent pictures on C5 analogue and when DTT started you really needed a brand new wideband aerial. If you didn't get one you could often tune in all the channels but depending on weather you could have reception problems with breakup and even complete loss with channels on the parts of the spectrum outside Group A.

Even with wideband aerials you can still get problems. Some multiplexes are not as powerful as others so depending on where you are in the region you could have similar signal issues. Some channels are not on all transmitters so if you're lucky enough to pick one up from an adjoining region you could get problems at times.

When they first began on DTT the picture quality from TPTV was very good which I assume was down to them broadcasting on an HD multiplex so even though they're not HD the higher bitrates and less compression allowed for better quality and TPTV was actually as good as BBC and ITV. The satellite and cable versions of TPTV were a joke from day one and they're still not as good as terrestrial even though the latter quality seems to have dropped since they made the station more widely available by moving from the HD multiplex. It's just about worth recording but the cable and sat feeds aren't very good in comparison

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

VirginMedia switched their feed for TPTV so no longer take it from satellite and the picture is far superior to the Sky channel.
Blunderbirds wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:46 pm
When they first began on DTT the picture quality from TPTV was very good which I assume was down to them broadcasting on an HD multiplex so even though they're not HD the higher bitrates and less compression allowed for better quality and TPTV was actually as good as BBC and ITV. The satellite and cable versions of TPTV were a joke from day one and they're still not as good as terrestrial even though the latter quality seems to have dropped since they made the station more widely available by moving from the HD multiplex. It's just about worth recording but the cable and sat feeds aren't very good in comparison

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

I have Virgin myself. Shows how long it is since I checked out TPTV on there.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's still doing it, watched "Special Branch" last night and...shudder...shudder.

Someone needs to press a button or two!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 am
It's still doing it, watched "Special Branch" last night and...shudder...shudder.

Is there anything in the settings menu of your TV that can switch between interlaced and progressive scanning?

I would assume that VTR programmes were originally interlaced but have now been converted to progressive scanning

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Not sure the ratio problems will relate to any difference between interlaced and progressive. Wrong ratios has always been a problem and continues to be but most of the time they get it right.
Not recorded from the SD version for a long time but Top of the Pops on the BBC4 SD channel would often switch to 4:3 from the usual 16:9 a few moments after the start which would cause problems when transferring to dvd but again, most of the time it was right. For some years I've been recording from the HD channel and I know that some channels avoid confusion by broadcasting full time in 16:9 even on the SD version with any 4:3 content pillarboxed as it is on the HD channel. TPTV doesn't seem to be one of them though- not last time I looked.
One other oddity- if I set my recorder to record a 4:3 broadcast it would record in the ratio that the channel was in when recording started. So if an ad was running in widescreen the whole recording would be 16:9 so that required putting the recording on computer after editing in order to remove the 16:9 flag although switching between the 2 and back again during the ads was never a problem if viewing live - it was only recordings.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Mark wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 am

Is there anything in the settings menu of your TV that can switch between interlaced and progressive scanning?

I would assume that VTR programmes were originally interlaced but have now been converted to progressive scanning
No settings like that really, it must be TPTV, it doesn't do it on VT shows on other channels like Forces TV for instance.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ready Steady Go documentary on BBC4 on Friday...but of course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08642p3

Also TPTV is showing Tom Bell's 'OUT around 12am from April on Sundays I believe

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Mark wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:52 pm
So, not really loses then, the US really didn't like negative endings back then.

Fatcat brings up an interesting point about "Gideon's Way", that would be the Jack Hedley one, they must have sold that episode as well, but I wonder if they filmed an alternate ending for it.

They did do that for some UK TV plays and series.

Even films like "The Day The Earth Caught Fire", by adding the celebratory bells at the end, rather than let the audience decide the outcome.
The 1956 1984 film is famous for that - the regular version follows the novel, with Winston and Julia nice and compliant, but an alternate version has them rebel against their brainwashing, before being cut down in a hail of bullets. This can be seen in a German language version on "the usual site."
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

The Hays Code is why that happened, surely?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

By 1956 the Code was on the way to breaking down. More likely the alternative ending for 1984 was political, in case they got into trouble for making a movie where the Communists won.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

The money financing the film in part from the US Information Agency probably influenced that ending,

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

The Time Tunnel (1966) on Horror Weds night 8pm from 18 March

Yeees!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

fatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Yeees!
Splendid stuff.
Thought-provoking,too. "We seem to be on a ship..."
Out of the countless number of ships which have sailed the Oceans of the World, I wonder which one it could be..?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

brigham wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am
fatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Yeees!
Splendid stuff.
Thought-provoking,too. "We seem to be on a ship..."
Out of the countless number of ships which have sailed the Oceans of the World, I wonder which one it could be..?
Ha ha and it's in 'color' too what more could you ask for.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Doug and Tony always end up in the same outfit. Maybe they are more "cologne" men than "bath" men...

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Just to mention

it appears to be on every week day and not just Wednesday as I first thought.

Next episode Doug and Tony appear in the 21st Century ...."Noooooooo ... get us of here quick as you can"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

fatcat wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 pm
Just to mention

it appears to be on every week day and not just Wednesday as I first thought.

Next episode Doug and Tony appear in the 21st Century ...."Noooooooo ... get us out of here quick as you can"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Euston "Quatermass" series starts on TPTV, 19th May.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Quatermass ? oh good..not sure I liked it first time around and IIRC it looked rather grotty for an expensive series. But would like to see it again and reappraise.

Early mornings mid May , TPTV will be showing Together

a swansong Southern soap with Victor Maddern as a continuing character,
and perhaps not someone you would expect in a soap.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Quatermass" is very good, a bit grim but good, alongside "Danger UXB", the best of Euston, IMHO ( well, and "Van Der Valk" series 3).

"Together" is another showing for the series on the channel, but good to know it's on again.