Coming soon on Freeview Channels

What's currently on the box
Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

Yes, I think the same. liked the three characters a lot, but they didn't seem to like it getting too cosy and he was such a loner.

You can't help but wonder what happened to Frank after the series ended, he would eventually get too old for the job.

I like to think ( even though it goes against his character) that he eventually went back to Brighton and settled down with Helen Mortimer, a happy ending for Frank.

Hadn't noticed before, but on tonight's episode, when Frank is in the Taxi ( on OB) when he goes past the Barber shop where he was beaten up, we see it from his POV, on film...wonder if that shot had been done on the previous episodes shoot?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Yes, I think the same. liked the three characters a lot, but they didn't seem to like it getting too cosy and he was such a loner.

You can't help but wonder what happened to Frank after the series ended, he would eventually get too old for the job.

I like to think ( even though it goes against his character) that he eventually went back to Brighton and settled down with Helen Mortimer, a happy ending for Frank.

Hadn't noticed before, but on tonight's episode, when Frank is in the Taxi ( on OB) when he goes past the Barber shop where he was beaten up, we see it from his POV, on film...wonder if that shot had been done on the previous episodes shoot?
It's been great seeing PE again and seeing Frank as such a 3 dimensional character and perhaps rather sadly noting that among the numerous phone boxes, 6 'guinea' fees and 30p drinks.. people's plights and problems today are the same as they have always been.
Elsewhere some wrote that the Christmas episode was a bit 'light' ...but at that time we all looked forward to a Christmas edition of our favourite shows it added to the spirit- we liked to see the cast let their hair down so to speak so we were in on the joke as well - what more could you ask for - Michael Bates playing to type as a frustrated old duffer detective- Tony Melody crashing through the window- Pat Heywood - Tony Selby grumpy copper and Penny Spencer as eye candy...plus a chintzy old xmas tune on the end titles..Even Frank decorated his drab shop Absolutely Marvelous!

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

Yes, I liked that episode, from the days when Xmas specials cheered you up, and it's interesting that they always us Actors known for comedy, for the lighter ones.

On tonight's episode, "They All Sound Simple At First", in one of the Pub scenes, the background music was the theme to the 1971 BBC children's series "Hope And Keen's Crazy House".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Malcyb
405 lines
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

BBC FOUR on Sunday 24th December 2018

Post by Malcyb »

Two programmes coming up on Sunday 23rd December on BBC FOUR:
20.30 What We Were Watching Christmas 1988.
21.30 The Secret Story Of The BBC Christmas VT Tapes.
The tapes were compiled by editors at the BBC for Staff Christmas Parties and never intended for public viewing.
These “bloopers” first appeared 40-years ago and have come out every year internally since,
This is a compilation of some of the parts suitable for public viewing.
It includes Tom Baker’s Time Lord swearing at his robotic dog companion K9, Noel Edmonds forgetting his lines in an episode of “Swap Shop and Dame Judi Dench losing it on the set of children’s storytelling series “Jackanory”.

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

The secret story of the BBC Christmas tapes sounds great thanks for the heads up.


Meanwhile Sat 15th?? December.

TPtv are showing

DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS (1954)...(Probably shot in a lunch hour by the Danziger Brothers at Elstree)

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: BBC FOUR on Sunday 24th December 2018

Post by Mark »

Malcyb wrote:Two programmes coming up on Sunday 23rd December on BBC FOUR:
20.30 What We Were Watching Christmas 1988.
21.30 The Secret Story Of The BBC Christmas VT Tapes.
The tapes were compiled by editors at the BBC for Staff Christmas Parties and never intended for public viewing.
These “bloopers” first appeared 40-years ago and have come out every year internally since,
This is a compilation of some of the parts suitable for public viewing.
It includes Tom Baker’s Time Lord swearing at his robotic dog companion K9, Noel Edmonds forgetting his lines in an episode of “Swap Shop and Dame Judi Dench losing it on the set of children’s storytelling series “Jackanory”.
What parts of it are NOT suitable for viewing, these days?...I can't think of any.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:The secret story of the BBC Christmas tapes sounds great thanks for the heads up.


Meanwhile Sat 15th?? December.

TPtv are showing

DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS (1954)...(Probably shot in a lunch hour by the Danziger Brothers at Elstree)
It's a great film, impressive Robot.

TPTV are showing the "For The Love Of Ada" Christmas special on Christmas Eve.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
TPTV are showing the "For The Love Of Ada" Christmas special on Christmas Eve.
Possibly never been seen since it's first transmission? ..way back when.

TPTV continue to a great job of unearthing the rare Thames' gems and keeping away from the Thames' perennials that all the other stations play to death.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

The Christmas Special was from 1971, and it is a lovely little series, there was a mini-episode in the 1970 "All Star Comedy Carnival" but that's gorn!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:The Christmas Special was from 1971, and it is a lovely little series, there was a mini-episode in the 1970 "All Star Comedy Carnival" but that's gorn!
Stop Press. From january 2019 TPtv is airing everything left of For The Love of Ada including the movie, Will be nice to appreciate the yummy mummy Barbara Mitchell again who sadly left us at a young age.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

Thought it was a bit odd, they were only showing the Xmas special.

All four series exist (and are out on DVD) only the "Comedy Carnival" segment Is missing.

Barbara Mitchell was indeed very good in all she did, "The Larkins", "Ada", "Please Sir!"/"Fenn St Gang" and "Beryl's Lot", a great loss.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

TPTV are trailing the ITV series "Hannay" with Robert Powell.

Starting Jan 7, I think.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

tiswas2
625 lines
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by tiswas2 »

Several In conversation type programmes coming up on TPTV

Friday 11th Jan 1.25pm Talking Pictures with Reina James daughter of Sid James

Sat 12 Jan 19 10:40 Talking Pictures with Shirley Anne Field.


Sun 13 Jan 19 20:15 Talking Pictures With Tyler Butterworth, son of Peter Butterworth.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

tiswas2 wrote:Several In conversation type programmes coming up on TPTV

Friday 11th Jan 1.25pm Talking Pictures with Reina James daughter of Sid James

Sat 12 Jan 19 10:40 Talking Pictures with Shirley Anne Field.


Sun 13 Jan 19 20:15 Talking Pictures With Tyler Butterworth, son of Peter Butterworth.
William Russel and Anneke Wills also, but they have been on I think.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

True Ent have been showing "The Agatha Christie Hour" and "Partners In Crime", and have "Rumpole Of The Bailey" coming up.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

Looks like TPtv will be showing a few Armchair Theatres in February ..presumably just the surviving Thames ones?

Cole
625 lines
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Cole »

Just seen that Talking Pictures is showing the 1979 Dick Barton: Special Agent series, towards the end of the month.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

Cole wrote:Just seen that Talking Pictures is showing the 1979 Dick Barton: Special Agent series, towards the end of the month.
It's been on before, but worth catching, didn't know about this showing though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:Looks like TPtv will be showing a few Armchair Theatres in February ..presumably just the surviving Thames ones?
Quite likely I suppose, although TPTV on Twitter/Facebook, did ask for people to check attics for ABC "Public Eye" episodes ( must have done well on the recent screening) so maybe ABC material will be forthcoming?...hope so.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Hither Green, London
Contact:

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

fatcat wrote:Looks like TPtv will be showing a few Armchair Theatres in February ..presumably just the surviving Thames ones?
The first episode scheduled - on 3 March at the ungodly hour of 22:10 - is A Bit of a Lift from 1973, which is already available on Network's first volume. Hopefully subsequent episodes will include some non-released ones.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

wittoner
625 lines
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by wittoner »

Just after 10 O'clock at night is an "ungodly hour" to watch TV?

Are you the reincarnation of Lord Reith Nick?

User avatar
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Hither Green, London
Contact:

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

wittoner wrote:Just after 10 O'clock at night is an "ungodly hour" to watch TV?

Are you the reincarnation of Lord Reith Nick?
My life is now ruled by a 21-month old alarm clock. I can't be up until after 23:00 when someone usually wants changing and feeding between 06:00 and 06:30.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

London Live ch.8 is showing on 31 Jan (+ Sunday repeat) 'Baffled' . This was an ITC failed pilot, with Leonard Nimoy fresh with his P45 from Mission Impossible obviously looking for another series .IIRC the premise was a great bit of fantasy/escapism and would have probably made a good series?.. but haven't seen it for a long time.

TPTV are showing The Saint movie edition (originally a 2 parter in the UK) of 'The Fiction Makers' on Sat 9th Feb 20.00. I think it was a whole lot better than 'Vendetta for the Saint' IMHO

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

Like them both, but agree "Fiction Makers" is the best one, TPTV could get the B/W episodes I suppose, but I think ITV4 are still showing the colour ones.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Private Frazer
625 lines
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: A town, UK

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Private Frazer »

I'm looking forward to Russell T. Davies new BBC 1 future-predicting drama Years and Years which sounds quite relevant (a few months yet)
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

brigham
D-MAC
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by brigham »

Private Frazer wrote:I'm looking forward to Russell T. Davies new BBC 1 future-predicting drama Years and Years which sounds quite relevant (a few months yet)
Interesting little clip.
Almost two minutes without reference to his favourite subject.
Sounds promising. He's a competent writer, let's hope he's finally grown up.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

If it hasn't got girls in purple wigs on a Moonbase, I'm not interested.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Cole
625 lines
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Cole »

I've just seen on Twitter that Callan is being shown on TPTV from March 4th (I'm not aware that this has been on TPTV before, but hope this is of use nevertheless).

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by fatcat »

Cole wrote:I've just seen on Twitter that Callan is being shown on TPTV from March 4th (I'm not aware that this has been on TPTV before, but hope this is of use nevertheless).
Yes it's a premier for TPTV ..they are showing in chronological order with all what survives..They may show related material ie the movie etc later depending on audience response to the tv show.

Meanwhile on FORCES TV they are showing the Euston Films Special Branch ..however the one I saw (not seen them for ages) could have stayed a studio bound one as it was all a bit flat IMHO..perhaps as a Euston Films first they had not yet adapted the scripts to the versatility of relatively small lightweight 16mm cameras?

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by Mark »

Not watched the Euston episodes for a long time, so I have caught the Forces TV screenings, and I have to say I have found it quite a struggle, one or two are half decent, but the scripts are poor.

Trevor Preston, usually one of my favourite TV writers, came up with one featuring Clifford Rose, which was quite depressing, and didn't seem to go anywhere, and another episode, with the always excellent Geoffrey Bayldon, had a very weak ending, having held a hostage and threatened to blow up the building unless another woman was released from arrest and sent abroad, he confronts the woman who basically tells him she doesn't want to be released and he falls apart!

Interesting to see Patrick Mower as guesting in some episodes from series 1 and then a regular billing in series 2, presumably he was unavailable to do all of 1 from the start, so they staggered his episodes on transmission.

Last nights was another one directed by the brilliant Douglas Camfield, and featured Tony Beckley, they would work together again a year or two later!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Post Reply