Coming soon on Freeview Channels

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

Re: Coming soon on Freeview Channels

Post by ozsat »

Nt worth its own thread IMHO - but Robin's Nest is also scheduled for Talking Pictures in March.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ozsat wrote:Nt worth its own thread IMHO - but Robin's Nest is also scheduled for Talking Pictures in March.
Good news!

Having acquired, and shown, the "Bless This House" film, I wonder if the TV series might follow.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

More forgotten Thames sitcoms please TPTV . Robin's Nest is a good start with the great 'one armed waiter' Dermot Kelly and Fern Britton's dad Tony,
but what about Never Mind the Quality.. the movie has quite a bit of bras and knickers and perhaps why it has not been shown for years?

..and Shelley

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I like the "Never Mind The Quality" film as well, it's absence from TV and DVD is most frustrating.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
fatcat wrote:Looks like TPtv will be showing a few Armchair Theatres in February ..presumably just the surviving Thames ones?
The first episode scheduled - on 3 March at the ungodly hour of 22:10 - is A Bit of a Lift from 1973, which is already available on Network's first volume. Hopefully subsequent episodes will include some non-released ones.
So, six weeks in and finally a non-DVD play, A Room in Town, last night (and very enjoyable it was). For the next two weeks, it's back to already-released episodes...
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

That'll be because it was the first one I forgot to check, so forgot to record!

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

stearn wrote:That'll be because it was the first one I forgot to check, so forgot to record!
Me too, otherwise I would have recorded it direct, but as it was the Tivo caught the ball for me.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Years and Years. The first episode airs on BBC1 on May 14th (2019), it was announced at The BFI & Radio Times Television Festival last night. Irish News review
It should be a good drama and interesting later to see how much it predicted the actual future.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Local to London area channel London Live Channel 8

does really well in dragging up forgotten gems

One film doing the rounds this month is The Firechasers ITC

Another one of those failed ITC pilots i think?

Anyway whatever your opinions on the plots,acting,production values of ITC shows, I think you will agree ITC always entertains and the The Firechasers is no different as delightful,upbeat,cheery nonsense with a groovy Laurie Johnson music track IMHO

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

June on TPTV sees some more gems from Thames TV.

The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes on Sunday Nights

Shadows on teatime week days

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Excellent!...they're making good use of Thames Archive, but where's "Bless This House"?

A ratings winner guaranteed.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Excellent!...they're making good use of Thames Archive, but where's "Bless This House"?

A ratings winner guaranteed.
yes I have always found it difficult to believe Sid James is actually dead - and for a long time too- such is his continuing screen charisma.

Stop Press

Armchair Thriller: A dog's ransom on TPtv the week starting 16 June.

TPtv are also screening before Shadows on Mon 3rd June 16.45... a small collection of the once well-loved 'Tufty the squirrel' public information safety films.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ooh some PIF's, I hope there will be a warning about the trauma of seeing Willie getting knocked down again.

"Armchair Thriller", as well...just gets better and better.!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Apparently, the Tufty film was one of the first and not the later TV PIFs with Bernard Cribbings voicing we were expecting ..eagerly LOL

Dog's Ransom is on very late if anyone is looking for it and Friday will be a double episode to conclude it this week.

In that category of films famed TV producers would rather forget from their younger days there is on TPTV

Sat 22 June Crossroads to Crime (Gerry Anderson)
Mon 24 The Trollenburg Terror ( Robert Baker and Monty Berman)

Also if you can pick up the Country channel they often fill gaps between concerts with The Beverly Hillbillies

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Looks like they maybe the other way around ? Trollenberg on Saturday at 2pm and Crossroads to Crime Monday at 5.30 pm ?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Denise Bryer ("Terrahawks" amongst others) was one of the voices in the Tufty Film.

I'm sure Baker and Berman were happy with "The Trollenberg Terror", it's a great fav of mine, and without the TV version, better than nothing, the only addition to the film which I wasn't keen on, was the horror elements, references to heads being 'Torn off'.!

Not keen on the scheduling though, creepy films don't work during broad daylight.

Just before "Armchair Thriller" a trail for..."Get Some In" on TPTV, starting in July, just after Forces TV finish their latest run of it.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote: Not keen on the scheduling though, creepy films don't work during broad daylight.

Just before "Armchair Thriller" a trail for..."Get Some In" on TPTV, starting in July, just after Forces TV finish their latest run of it.
Agree. they did that with The Night Caller which was once an ITV late night perennial, an unevenly made cheapo, but had some very creepy set pieces I thought which work well late at night. I am pretty sure it was cut in places too for afternoon viewing, as well as having had some ghastly colorization.
So I watch Shadows on late night catch up...that can creepy too even for an adult LOL. I don't recall it at all, but they have certainly created a world as a child would see it and for example, the one with the girl and her cat on the rough estate has issues that ring true today 40 years later and could have been made yesterday.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Night Caller" is a great little film, with some very creepy moments, such as the lab scene with Patricia Haines.

The DVD has both B/W and Colourised versions, and the latter is terrible, I don't know why they show that one on TPTV.

"Shadows" is brilliant, and amazing to have Mr Stabs back on TV again, "After School" is a strong one too, according to TV Times, the two lads were picked from a Welsh school and hung around for a week in London before they could record it, due to a strike.

"The Eye" is another stand out episode, seriously scary.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

TPTV have started series 3 of "Shadows" with the last episode of it, but they have missed out "Time Out of Mind" from series 2, wonder what's happened there?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:TPTV have started series 3 of "Shadows" with the last episode of it, but they have missed out "Time Out of Mind" from series 2, wonder what's happened there?
Odd.. as it's a kid's programme so should be no censor problems to deal with ..unless of course what kids could handle in the 70s are not the PC brigade deems suitable for today?

Another possibility is it may have not have acquired permission for TV by someone in it.? Shadows has a lot on unknown today child actors and writers in it (I praise Thames for giving them a chance) and some just may be hard to track down these days ? ..rather than a well-known actor just blocking it.
I continue to enjoy the programme for what it is, as it has(whatever the limitations) the love that Pamela Lonsdale and Ruth Boswell put into all their kid's TV shows.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

True, everything that was touched by Ruth Boswell and Pamela Lonsdale was gold.

The missing episode of "Shadows" was moved along the TPTV schedule, it was replaced by S3 episode "Honeyann", the other day, so perhaps something wrong with the copy they have?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Here's a nice surprise (well to me anyway).

Thames' Rooms start on TPtv on Thurs 11 July.
Originally a 2 part afternoon drama series in the 70s, plenty of well-known faces play characters who stay each week in
a rented room and are all there for different reasons and their story unfolds over 2 episodes.
Unless it starts earlier than that date, the first episodes showing at actually 3 & 4

Looks like it is following close to it's original slot ie. part 1 on a Thurs at 2pm then part 2 on a Fri at 2pm

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

fatcat wrote:
Mark wrote: Not keen on the scheduling though, creepy films don't work during broad daylight.

Agree. they did that with The Night Caller which was once an ITV late night perennial, an unevenly made cheapo, but had some very creepy set pieces I thought which work well late at night. I am pretty sure it was cut in places too for afternoon viewing, as well as having had some ghastly colorization.
So I watch Shadows on late night catch up...that can creepy too even for an adult LOL. I don't recall it at all, but they have certainly created a world as a child would see it and for example, the one with the girl and her cat on the rough estate has issues that ring true today 40 years later and could have been made yesterday.
Indeed, that episode is extraordinarily bleak, and has an old man being battered by a gang of thugs wielding sticks too!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Chief hooligan in that one was Andrew Paul, who changed sides and became Dave Quinnan in "The Bill", years later.

Another very creepy one is "Eleven O Clock", virtually a two hander with Tina Heath and Ronald Hines, who carry the whole thing very effectively indeed.

The missing series 2 episode "Time Out Of Mind" is back on the EPG for next Friday now.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Saw the one last night with Joan Greenwood, Dot Cotton, and ' Alexia's' grandad - what more could you possibly ask for?
Enchantingly lit and charming plot .

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:Saw the one last night with Joan Greenwood, Dot Cotton, and ' Alexia's' grandad - what more could you possibly ask for?
Enchantingly lit and charming plot .
Yes, I'm all for 'Oddball' scripts like that one, with the richly voiced Noel Johnson (Dick Barton himself) as the computer voice.

Wonder why they chose "A Dog's Ransom" as the "Armchair Thriller" repeat ?, it's good but probably one of my least favourites.

My favourites are the usual suspects ( like most) "Quiet As A Nun" and "The Limbo Connection", and also "Fear Of God", which was a great story.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Mark wrote: Wonder why they chose "A Dog's Ransom" as the "Armchair Thriller" repeat ?, it's good but probably one of my least favourites.
My favourites are the usual suspects ( like most) "Quiet As A Nun" and "The Limbo Connection", and also "Fear Of God", which was a great story.
That interesting, I think that 'A Dogs Ransom' alongside 'Dying Day' are the strongest overall of all the serials. 'Dog' has a constant change of story emphasis over the different episodes, a memorably gross moment as to the box of 'chocolates' (the tension broken by a line of black comedy) and an incredibly powerful conclusion (the latter very typical of John Bowen despite the story being an adaption) that hits you in the guts. Overall I love 'Limbo' too but it fizzles out to much ado about nothing in the end - after a great buildup! ''The Circe Complex' is another one that twists and turns over its length to good effect. Beth Morris' character certainly puts herself about.

Apart from that memorable cliffhanger, I've always found 'Nun' to be a pretty mundane story really, a decent cast overall and the setting is quirky but it's never that engaging or surprising. 'Fear of God' I found pretty standard and uninvolving and alongside 'The Girl Who Walked Quickly' sadly they are the two real duds for me.

I think the more off-kilter scenarios worked best for 'Armchair Thriller', those that didn't follow the more old fashioned Francis Durbridge type story ... having said that, although falling into that sort of tale - 'The Victim' also played quite well.

The two filmed Southern TV serials are rather different beasts to the Thames installments. Preferred 'High Tide' of the two, despite another ending that rather fizzled out.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It does demonstrate different tastes, certainly.

"Dogs Ransom" and "Dying Day" are my least favourites, take the former, for me, most of the characters are unpleasant and unlikeable, and the ones that are not, like the couple who lose their dog, are a bit on the sad side, both stories are a little too grim for my liking.

The shocking ending does have that clever little touch of the character helping a child across the road, after the dreadful deed is done, but negative endings can obviously be very frustrating ( thought there were too many of those in the "Hammer House Of Horror" series).

I'm surprised the audience took to them so much, although they are very well written, oddly, I did like Bowen's first one, "Rachel In Danger".

I agree the others are more standard and traditional stories, (Including "RID") but the more escapist nature of them made them more attractive to me, such as "FOG" and the use of sound weapons.

"Quiet As A Nun" ( brilliant cliff-hanger aside) had very good characters and a terrific atmosphere, the later entertaining but patchy "Jemima Shore" series never managed to come close to "QAAN".

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Jan & Tony are the first two episodes airing - Kal lists these as the first two episodes and were also the first two in TV Times at the time.

Perhaps the episode numbering is different to the tx order?
fatcat wrote:Here's a nice surprise (well to me anyway).

Thames' Rooms start on TPtv on Thurs 11 July.
Originally a 2 part afternoon drama series in the 70s, plenty of well-known faces play characters who stay each week in
a rented room and are all there for different reasons and their story unfolds over 2 episodes.
Unless it starts earlier than that date, the first episodes showing at actually 3 & 4

Looks like it is following close to it's original slot ie. part 1 on a Thurs at 2pm then part 2 on a Fri at 2pm

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ozsat wrote:Jan & Tony are the first two episodes airing - Kal lists these as the first two episodes and were also the first two in TV Times at the time.

Perhaps the episode numbering is different to the tx order?
Thanks

Also a possibility that some regions showed different episodes..just a thought